cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

AMD Settings "Gaming" takes forever to load game list and profiles

Let me start out by saying that I'm sure this is probably fixed simply by having less games - I know I have a lot of games (350+ currently installed by Steam alone). But this was an issue when I had far less as well (less than 150 games). It's been an issue for as long as it's been in the software.

Essentially, when I open up AMD settings and click "Gaming" - it will sit there, for a long time (several minutes) loading the list of games. It's not a resource issue, as I'm currently on a Threadripper 1900x with 32GB memory. The OS drive, with the registry and data is on an SSD. The games themselves, are on a set of four 7200rpm 2TB drives all in a software RAID 0 (Windows Striped Volume), so even the access speed of the drive and games is rather fast.

Once it finally loads the list, clicking any of the games to load the profile takes several minutes, and that's if the profile is still default. If the profile is modified, it takes even longer, as much as 5 minutes (on a profile that only had 1 setting changed).

I've done several reinstalls, upgrades, downgrades of the software and the drivers. I've done everything apart from hitting it with a hammer or lighting it on fire, and since the option's conception, this issue has plagued me.

Does anyone have any idea what can be done (aside from the obvious 'uninstall 90% of your games') to mitigate or fix this?

EDIT: So I did find one thing. Not sure if this makes a difference. But it seems when it stops "responding" while loading, it starts hemorrhaging memory. From a fairly stable 131MB climbing up fairly quickly to about 1.6GB of memory once it reaches the Gaming tab with the full list of games. Attempting to load into the settings of any game, or to exit a profile after making changes, it climbs upwards of 2GB of RAM (and keeps going). The CPU total usage never gets over 15%, having 10% or less being dedicated to the settings app, while the RAM doesn't reach over 25% (at least, not as long as I've let it)

22 Replies
locodicegr
Miniboss

DDU -> 18.6.1 / Other than that seems pretty logic to me if you have 350+ games...do you even play any of them

0 Likes

I myself have beaten over 2/3 of them, and have probably played through close to 1/4 two or more times. I am also one of two people that play the games, so there's that as well. I'll try to DDU again, and see if 18.6.1 does anything.

0 Likes

RadeonSettings is ultra slow if you have more than 10 games. This load forever and forever

0 Likes

Imagine 350+ Game profiles waiting to be loaded....

I have over 400 games in mine and as soon as you click the tab it is unresponsive takes a couple of minutes to go to global setting. I can make changes there, but when I go back from there to the the gaming it locks Radeon Settings and I have to kill it every time. Been like this since they went to Radeon Settings from CCC. I don't know why they can't fix it. I don't know why the Global Settings can't be on their own tab to begin with, instead of in gaming. So you guys are far from alone with this issue.

Maybe amdmatt​ could fire this highly repeatable non-functioning issue off to the driver team again for all of us.

Thanks for bringing this one up again!

herr_mendes
Adept I

Same issue: It's been 20 minutes or so that I started my system. Last night I had some problems with FPS - couldn't lock them to the monitor rate @75 - That's when I noticed that I booted for 30 min or so, so the profiles were still loading...

Yes and the issue is now far worse with the Adrenaline 2019 drivers.

Its way smoother now.

0 Likes

@Locodicegr

It's definitely not.

And please stop intervening in the topic if you aren't concerned by this issue. You haven't provided any useful comment so far.

[Ryzen 2600X 4.2 GHz | Radeon RX 6650 XT 8 GB | DDR4 32 GB | Win10 Pro]
0 Likes

Clean install after DDU in safe mode.

If you have 200+ games installed, dont ask yourself why its laggy man.

0 Likes

I have 350 games on Steam, why isn't steam laggy?

No one is asking WHY it's laggy - but why it has to be. Because it doesn't have to be laggy, yet still is.

There's no reason for them to force autodetect all games, every time. They could have autodetect as an option, so you can stop it from searching and loading data on all the games every time you open it. Or they could find a more efficient way of doing it. Look at Steam. All my games show up in my Steam list without a problem, and the library for Steam has no more or less lag when having 400 games vs 10. How? Because once Steam populates a list, that's all it does - populate a list. It doesn't load individual game info until you click on one of the games, then it loads that specific game's info. However AMD Gaming instead goes to every single game, every single time, and loads all the information.

It's not uncommon, nowadays, for people to have dozens, or even hundreds of games on Steam or other platforms. There should be some optimization in the program for that. But it instead lags with more than 10-20 games.

I agree, I have over 600 games installed. Not sure why that is a problem? My nothing in my setup has an issue with this other than Radeon Settings. The unfortunate thing about Radeon Settings is that it gives you no option to avoid it auto adding all games and then only allows you to remove a profile one at a time. When Radeon Settings locks every time you click a profile, that becomes a huge issue.

There should be a simple checkbox at install as to if you want the games to be auto added. That would fix this for me. I could then just select the handful of games I actually deviate from default settings.

You have 600 games and you ask why its laggy?

0 Likes

Sure why would you think it SHOULD be laggy? Computers are designed to handle millions of files at high speed. Nothing about the games are laggy not the games themselves or the interface that launches them, Steam, Origin, etc. I can list my entire Steam library in literally a second form my SSD. Then on top of that that same library has a wealth of sub information that goes way beyond the amount of information that Radeon Settings needs to list. Only the Radeon Settings game profile tab exhibits any slow down in the entire system based literally on the amount of game names listed, not even reading any game information. So if that doesn't explain it for you then not sure you will ever understand. If you think that nobody should load that many games, I guess you are entitled to your opinion, but I assure large game libraries are extremely common place. Radeon Settings begins really lagging at about 50 games loaded, but I guess that's the customers fault for having too many games too. We will agree to disagree. Sorry but in the most realistic terms their game profile tab is nothing more than a simple data base. So even at 600 games and figuring maybe 10 sub settings. Your are talking about maybe 6,600 settings which is super tiny for database entry even by 1980's standards. So yah it's pretty pathetic how poor it performs, and has long been my guess it is their GUI Interface at the heart of the issue not the database. So either way you look at it, yes the blame is on AMD, not the end user for owning too many games. AMD would be pretty out of luck would they not if we stopped expanding our game libraries?  I guess by you line of thinking the whole computer world never needed to evolve past the very first computer. Why would anyone need to do more, faster, increase capabilities. Obviously it's you fault if you want to do that right?

> If you have 200+ games installed, dont ask yourself why its laggy man.

In which century are you living man? Are you that guy who still has two games in his entire library?

> Clean install after DDU in safe mode.

Genius! Why didn't I think of THAT before...?

Oh wait. That's because I actually did, and you sound like a bad IT technician.

You had your fun, now go bother some other threads.

Okay, gotcha, not a bug, just your system is full of games.

0 Likes

For all you guys talking about game count: I don't have more than 30 games. My system is: i7-4770 (non-k 'cause I'm a sober mofo), HyperX 16 gb @ 1866mhz ddr 3, a nice lil HDD @ 7200 1tb, GAZ83HD3 mobo, RX 580 Nitro+ 8gb standard @ 1411mhz.

I'm getting loading icons everytime I open the games' control panel on AMD as soon as the system starts and it takes something like 50 min. to load MOST of the profiles. I really think that number of installed games isn't a real factor here...

This is very annoying and makes me think that buying amd was somewhat of a bad decision. Too bad that nvidia's 1060 wasn't Worth the price in my country.

I'm not sure that in these last 2 drivers that what your are saying is not absolutely correct. Since I have a large number of games and the driver auto adds them on install I don't know. This however is an issue that since this interface was introduced replacing CCC has existed. I know that with the Adrenaline 2019 drivers that this is radically worse, but didn't know it was so bad on even 50 games or less. I know that it took about 13 hours to initially process my game library which is unacceptable to begin with. The fact that after all that time and every day plus since, still locks up on every profile you enter then exit is nuts. IMHO AMD very badly needs to concentrate on getting their drivers and more importantly the advertised features working as they should and that certainly should include being able to use their GUI without constantly having to force quit and restart it. AMD has got to realize they need to fix what they have before worrying about new fluff features that likely break as much as they bring to the table based on recent experience.

Sorry I had missed this response from you. I don't doubt for a second that it could be way better on your machine/configuration. There in lies the continued frustration of so many users going on nearly 2 years now. The inconsistency of how each new driver continues to affect different cards, users and configurations. Do you not read the same posts of all the people that had zero issues with HD7xxx, R7 & R9 and RX4xx series owners that under the old drivers pre-dating Wattman run without issue? Do you not see where so many with those cards and the newer Polaris RX5xx and Vega series can't even get their cards to run stable with tweaking the heck out other speeds, voltage and cooling settings while others seem to be fine? While I admit there are undoubtedly issues out there that are user caused, that is a minority of what is going on. I get being a fan, I am one too and have every hope they turn this current trend around, but I am not a blind fan nor do I troll those having issues with something just because I don't have a problem with that. When someone else has an issue, I will do everything I can to help them, not egg them on to feel even worse about the issue. I count myself lucky I don't have the problem and try to contribute with suggestions of help. With very tweaked settings, my RX 580 runs without issue, in fact it runs really really well. My only issue with it are that I don't feel the end user should have to tweak the settings for it to work properly at all. Sure if you are going to overclock then yah that's on you and expected but default settings should work, and they don't. The GUI (Radeon Settings) in question here sure as heck should work, it should never even be a question of not working. I am sorry but it is pretty sad if the very simple control software you write to control your software, something that,  you can't blame on Windows or anything else for not working, doesn't work, well that's pretty sad and is definitely on AMD not the end user.  I see this behavior on all 4 of my machines of varying configurations in my home they all do this except one and that is the machine with my HD7870 and it has only a couple games and a 2 year old driver installed, it will however lock if I go into the power settings and exit the tab but nothing like on the other machines. Now I have 3 other currently supported older cards an HD 7950, HD7870 and R9 380x and none of those can properly run what are supposed to be supported drivers well for a long time, and these latest drivers not at all, and based on the screen blacking issues and overheating I personally saw loading recent drivers on these same cards especially the R9 series, I absolutely believe the many many complaints here that the drivers may have even contributed to the deaths of the cards. Can't prove it and it hasen't happened to me, but they explain to the exact details of what I saw too, I was luck though and realized to stop trying to boot that driver and immediately safe mode, DDU and got it off my machine. I fear too many of these just kept trying to restart the machines thinking it would right themselves and thermally killed their card. One user on here recent shed some light by realizing the new driver was actually way overclocking his card. I have been too chicken to even see if I could replicate as I don't want to kill my card.  So point being is that many people will have issues YOU DON'T, that doesn't make them wrong or incompetent in their problem or persistence in looking for desiring or frankly being owed a fix because the didn't purchase a product that read WARNING THIS PRODUCT MAY NOT WORK AS INTENDED, TOUGH LUCK. I never once contributed here before last year. I was a very happy AMD user on the GPU side since my first HD 4850 then another 4870 both of them are still working and in machines at home just not plugged in and used anymore, but I had years of trouble free AMD usage. That also goes for the CPU side I had nothing but AMD CPUS personally at home, from the time I bought my first AMD 486 then DX2, DX4, K5, K6, Athlons, Athon 64's, Phenom, and finally moving on from my primary machine a Phenom II X6 1090T. I think it's the finest chip I ever owned and still running in my house today 9 years later. I stream that huge library of games from my office/gaming pc through Steam to my basement family room tv on that old processor just great with no lag just fine, only Radeon Settings lags and I can't run the latest driver on that machine, other than that it is still great. But last year I bought the RX 580 in hopes of rejuvenating a final time that Phenom II because the older card just didn't have enough power for Battlefield One. It just was too cpu bottlenecked to help. Then I paired it with a Ryzen board and it was a nightmare. I chose a gigabyte board and they lagged behind others in getting their stuff working with bios updates. I used top notch components and ram from the qvl list it just wasn't stable. I wasn't in the mood to wait for my dollars to be justified over time to maybe some day have stable working hardware, so I saw an open box deal on a intel i7-7700k and bought my first Intel rig in ages. Maybe I am lucky there too but this thing runs like a champ, and the RX 580 runs like a champ on it once tweaked. I fully realize that withing about 6 months the Ryzen situation was much better and even better on the current refresh, but I wasn't willing to wait and not be able to game or do my real work trouble free. The thing I find most ironic since being active in these forums, doing everything I can to share what has helped me to make good use of my AMD products is that it seems the people with the biggest issues are the ones that are currently going all in on AMD. People like me run Polaris and Intel no problem. People run Ryzen and Nvidia not a problem. But there are just a ton of stability complaints of people running AMD GPU and Ryzen especially with the flagship Vega series. Then the issues with laptops with intel or amd cpus with AMD discreet graphics and issues is just mind blowing. Sure a lot of that is because the customer don't update properly and the oems don't support or follow AMD reference designs as they should, but AMD could police this situation much better and make it way easier for the customer to not go wrong in looking for updated software. So yes a lot is technichally the users issue but it really shouldn't be.  Logic makes me think that and all AMD config desktop or laptop should truly be the absolute best most premium, trouble free experience out there as AMD really is currently the only ones with the full spectrum of hardware options. Intel doesn't have a real GPU (yet), Nvidia isn't making the CPU (yet) but AMD should have complete control over the hardware side of their eccosystem. Should and are though are very different things, evidence in these forums sure doesn't back that up, and the complaints are small on these AMD forums compared to other tech forums and reddit. So be a fan, I love and encourage that, especially the underdog, I am not giving up on AMD either, if I were I wouldn't be wasting my breath here. Please however offer help and don't be condescending to those who need help if not then don't comment, it doesn't help anyone.

0 Likes
chienpourri
Journeyman III

Hello,

I've created an account Simply to share that since i installed 19.2.1 this Morning I no longer seem to have the issue!!!  Seems they finally fixed it after years of pain…

I personally have over 2000 installed steam games (plus a few Origin, Uplay, GOG).  I have a 10TB NAS setup with iSCSI where all my games are installed, I have download caps so I'd rather just get them when I can.   Of course I don't play all of them at once, it's just more convenient to be able to launch them whenever I want.

Anyways, whatever they did fixed my issue, I'm so glad I can access the global settings without waiting forever!  I go there after every driver upgrade to set the max FPS to 72 to avoir tearing issues with freesync.

Thank you AMD!

I agree that 19.2.1 finally seems to bring in some much needed optimizations in the Game Explorer.

My list of games is still quite slow, but at least it's now generated in multitasking, which means I can quickly access the Global Settings without having to wait for the entire list of games to be loaded. Radeon Settings are now usable. A definitive improvement!

Thanks to whoever at AMD took this issue seriously.

Yes it is much better now finally! Now if they would add and option when the driver install to have it not auto add all games. Then you could add the few you want. Also if you could multiple select, maybe check boxes on the profiles so you can delete multiple profiles at one time would be nice too.