cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

hwugns
Journeyman III

AMD SD Host Controller

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. Windows needs the driver for device [AMD SD Host Controller]. Click 'Load Driver' and load the required device driver.

I would like the folder/download or whatever for AMD SD Host Controller please. My computer is hp laptop - 14s fq0508sa.

Help is appreciated.

0 Likes
5 Replies

First:  Which Windows version are you trying to install? Windows 10 or 11?

Second: Are you trying to install from a Card Reader or a Flash Drive on your HP Laptop? 

If from a Card Reader than there is a SD Card Reader to download from HP Support but for Realtek driver because the AMD SD HOST CONTROLLER driver is for a SD Card Reader.

Third: Here is I believe your HP Support Download page for your Laptop: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-14-f0000-laptop-pc-series/33690517/model/3791961...

It shows a very new BIOS Update that you should do. It helps with compatibility issues.

Googling AMD SD HOST found a User at Microsoft Forums with the exact same laptop and exact same issue with the same error: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-cannot-be-installed-to-partion-show/25...

But that person couldn't find a fix either.

Best thing to do is Reset your HP Laptop back to Default the way you received it when you first purchased it. Than start updating everything again.

NOTE: Here is how to enter HP RECOVERY to reinstall everything back to the way it was before when you first purchased your HP Laptop: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02638587

From the link above:

Different ways to launch Recovery Manager

Depending on how you launch the Recovery Manager, different recovery options are available. The recovery process can take from 30 minutes to two hours or more to complete. The computer will appear to stop working for long periods of time and will then restart several times. Do not interrupt the process, and do not attempt to use the computer until you are prompted to logon with a specific user name and password.
To launch the HP Recovery Manager, do any of the following:
  warning:
Because there are several recovery options available, some of which automatically delete files and programs, HP recommends that, before you select any recovery option, you back up all important files. Once the recovery process begins deleting files there is no way to pause or stop the process.
  • Click Start, type recovery in the search field, and then select HP Recovery Manager to run recovery from the D drive.
  • Turn on the power and press F11 to run recovery without starting Windows (on some models esc key and then F11 key ).
  • Insert the customer-created Recovery disc in disc drive and turn the power on to boot from the DVD disc.
  • Insert replacement the Recovery disc purchased from HP, and turn the power on to boot from the DVD disc.
0 Likes

Tried mostly all of this, im trying to install from a flash drive not a card reader but every drive says it needs the sd host controller and the hp support download page does not hehp me

0 Likes

So you can't Recover or Reset your Laptop?

I suggest you order the HP Recovery disc from HP Support for your laptop. Use that to recover your Windows driver again.

Open a HP Support and asked them about the AMD SD HOST CONTROLLER how to get that driver or how to Recover your Windows Drive again.

I did find a AMD SD HOST CONTROLLER for a Lenovo Laptop when I googled that driver. But not sure if it is compatible with your HP laptop so I didn't link it.

0 Likes

This pc doesnt have a disc drive for the recovery disc. 

I  could try the one for lenovo if you would link it please.

0 Likes

actually you need to download and install a 3rd party Driver updating program so it isn't worth it.

Have you tried F11 or F11 & ESC when powering up your laptop to see if it starts the Recovery partition? That is if it wasn't deleted by the Windows Installation first.

If it was I suggest your open a HP Support and ask them how you can recover your laptop if it doesn't have a Disc Drive installed?

0 Likes