cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

tomuse
Adept I

AMD Ryzen Master 1.3.0.618 VBS Error

I have installed an update from AMD Ryzen Master version 1.2.0.540 to 1.3.0.618. When I start the program I always get the error message:

Ryzen Master VBS Error.PNG

the old version did not have these problems and starts immediately. Only the update of Ryzen Master has been installed.

System Parameters:

Mainboard: ASUS X370-Pro @ BIOS 4008,

CPU: AMD Ryzen 1700,

Windows 10 1709 (10.0.16299.371)

Microsoft Hyper-V installed

188 Replies

Well it would be nice if AMD gave some practical instructions on HOW to disable the VBS.

I found this works at least until the next reboot:

Make a bat file with the following script (change L: to a free drive letter)

set FREE_MOUNT_VOL_DRIVELETTER=L:
mountvol %FREE_MOUNT_VOL_DRIVELETTER% /s
copy C:\WINDOWS\System32\SecConfig.efi L:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\SecConfig.efi /Y
bcdedit /create {0cb3b571-2f2e-4343-a879-d86a476d7215} /d "DG" /application osloader
bcdedit /set {0cb3b571-2f2e-4343-a879-d86a476d7215} path "\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\SecConfig.efi"
bcdedit /set {bootmgr} bootsequence {0cb3b571-2f2e-4343-a879-d86a476d7215}
bcdedit /set {0cb3b571-2f2e-4343-a879-d86a476d7215} loadoptions DISABLE-VBS
bcdedit /set {0cb3b571-2f2e-4343-a879-d86a476d7215} device partition=%FREE_MOUNT_VOL_DRIVELETTER%
mountvol %FREE_MOUNT_VOL_DRIVELETTER% /d
shutdown /r

Run this script as administrator. On Reboot, click F3 to acknowledge to disable the vbs.

Now you can run Ryzen Master and have Hyper-V at the same time. I would not use it to run tricky things in the VM, but for my own development and testing this works fine until the next reboot.

All the registry hacks and group policy settings I tried did not work. Seeing that you can run Hyper-V without VBS, it would be good if AMD and Microsoft come up with a solution for that that does not involve rebooting.

0 Likes
nicholas_steel
Journeyman III

Ryzen Master software doesn't operate if you have Virtualized Based Security enabled.

Ryzen Master Displays an error telling you to disable VBS within the Operating System.

VBS is forced on if Hyper-V is installed, and remains forcibly active after uninstalling Hyper-V.

Disabling VBS via the Group Policy Editor doesn't resolve the issue.

Disabling VBS via a BCDEDIT parameter doesn't resolve the issue.

Solution? Disable SVM in the UEFI! The setting that the error doesn't mention at all!

0 Likes

Some of us need hyper-v.

_twx_
Journeyman III

Hyper-V or Ryzen Master, realy you are not able to fix that Problem? ...

0 Likes

Don't count on it. They don't give a s... about the problem. 

0 Likes
bandwiches
Adept I

I also have this issue, Hyper-V required for every day usage.

0 Likes

I think another problem is this thread is "Assumed answered" which hides it from AMD.

0 Likes

I created a program that can apply the patch to Ryzen Master: GitHub - klauspost/ryzen-master-vbs-patch: AMD Ryzen Master VBS patcher 

Of course, use at your own risk and backup the original executable. All I can say is that it works with v2.1.1.1472 - but it seems it have been stable for a while.

0 Likes

It looks like your program doesn't work with the current latest Ryzen Master (2.2.0.1543) and I cannot for the life of me find a mirror for 2.1.1.1472.

0 Likes

Be aware, that if you have a Threadripper t,hese patches won't work because the binaries installed are completely different. They are a much older version (1.x or something like that) and the version number does not correspond to the package version (2.x.y)

0 Likes

Now that's interesting to know! I just used IDA to patch the version on my machine, but I didn't realise it was different for Threadripper. That might explain why it didn't work for me.

0 Likes

Took me a while to figure out as well. I wouldn't have expected it. 

But check the binary version - I'm almost 100% that's is 1.x and not 2.2 like the package version. 

0 Likes

Yes, it seems like Threadripper CPUs gets an old version installed. I've confirmed it works on v2.2.0.1543 that I just downloaded and installed for non TR.

0 Likes

Then we just need someone to make the patch for the TR version :-)

0 Likes

Then we just need someone to make the patch for the TR version :-)

You're in luck. Someone submitted a patch for Threadripper. New v1.1 release at GitHub - klauspost/ryzen-master-vbs-patch: AMD Ryzen Master VBS patcher 

0 Likes

And with source code - what more can a guy ask for :-D

Thanks!

0 Likes
hecubas
Journeyman III

Late to the conversation, but this is still an issue in July 2020.  I use Hyper-V for my MSDN lab and am unable to run Ryzen Master.

0 Likes
terminusaquo
Adept II

I have this exact same problem with version 2.3.0.1591 but Ryzen Master installed just fine and refuses to launch. All it requires is a quick fix in a hex editor but AMD doesn't seem to be bothered enough to fix this issue: AMD Ryzen Master VBS Fix

0 Likes
klauspost
Adept I

Patcher updated for v2.3.0.1591: GitHub - klauspost/ryzen-master-vbs-patch: AMD Ryzen Master Hyper-V VBS patcher 

- ThreadRipper may be broken, send me one so I can test

pastedImage_1.png

I think we're still good! 

wow, this is unvelibable. Big Thanks for this.

EDIT: now, I need to find a way to update it from 2.0.1.1233 to newer version.

0 Likes

it is working fine on 2.3.0 too. there are some tricks if you want to install newer version.

0 Likes

Nice. Great work

0 Likes

IT WORKS!!!!!

Thank you so much!

0 Likes
mr_xd
Adept I

Here is the video to fix the problem without disabling SVM or hyper-v:

https://youtu.be/GYQuwysQGCY

a video? with 1 link? really? Besides, how do you know this is not a malicious patch? Such unauthorized patches for tools that run in admin mode are perfect for rootkit spreading.

0 Likes

It has been almost a year since this thread has been opened. But two other Users just found out about Ryzen Master and Hyper-V being enabled. I linked this thread for them to add their names to the long list.

Just for your information only.

I had installed Ryzen Master (latest version at that time) in Windows 10 with Hyper-V and all Virtualization BIOS settings disabled. It has been working as expected. Then I did a In-Place Upgrade to Windows 11. Ryzen Master stills works normally and as expected. 

BUT then I needed to enable Hyper-V and all Virtualization Settings in BIOS to get a couple of programs to work including Windows Sandbox and Defender special security option. 

I was expecting Ryzen Master to not open up or crash. To my astonishment it opened normally and it seems to work normally even though I hadn't made any Setting changes yet. Just looking at the Data it provides. I closed and opened it 2-3 times without issue.

But I expect that if I have to update or install Ryzen Master again it won't work or its installation will fail due to Hyper-V being enabled.

So I was  wondering why it is working with Hyper-V enabled after Ryzen master was previously installed. If Ryzen Master was truly incompatible with Hyper-V enabled it should have crashed or not opened at all, in my opinion.

0 Likes

Some people need Hyper-V so uninstalling it is not an option.

0 Likes

Disabling an advertised feature of my CPU isn't a solution to this clear bug. 

It used to work.. AMD need to fix it, however their software team appear to be fairly slow or unable to fix simple problems.. (They also cant fix StoreMI not working on my B550 board, which should be supported).