cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

pvk
Journeyman III

Re: AMD Ryzen Master 1.3.0.618 VBS Error

Well it would be nice if AMD gave some practical instructions on HOW to disable the VBS.

I found this works at least until the next reboot:

Make a bat file with the following script (change L: to a free drive letter)

set FREE_MOUNT_VOL_DRIVELETTER=L:
mountvol %FREE_MOUNT_VOL_DRIVELETTER% /s
copy C:\WINDOWS\System32\SecConfig.efi L:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\SecConfig.efi /Y
bcdedit /create {0cb3b571-2f2e-4343-a879-d86a476d7215} /d "DG" /application osloader
bcdedit /set {0cb3b571-2f2e-4343-a879-d86a476d7215} path "\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\SecConfig.efi"
bcdedit /set {bootmgr} bootsequence {0cb3b571-2f2e-4343-a879-d86a476d7215}
bcdedit /set {0cb3b571-2f2e-4343-a879-d86a476d7215} loadoptions DISABLE-VBS
bcdedit /set {0cb3b571-2f2e-4343-a879-d86a476d7215} device partition=%FREE_MOUNT_VOL_DRIVELETTER%
mountvol %FREE_MOUNT_VOL_DRIVELETTER% /d
shutdown /r

Run this script as administrator. On Reboot, click F3 to acknowledge to disable the vbs.

Now you can run Ryzen Master and have Hyper-V at the same time. I would not use it to run tricky things in the VM, but for my own development and testing this works fine until the next reboot.

All the registry hacks and group policy settings I tried did not work. Seeing that you can run Hyper-V without VBS, it would be good if AMD and Microsoft come up with a solution for that that does not involve rebooting.

0 Likes
nicholas_steel
Journeyman III

Ryzen Master software doesn't operate if you have Virtualized Based Security enabled.

Ryzen Master Displays an error telling you to disable VBS within the Operating System.

VBS is forced on if Hyper-V is installed, and remains forcibly active after uninstalling Hyper-V.

Disabling VBS via the Group Policy Editor doesn't resolve the issue.

Disabling VBS via a BCDEDIT parameter doesn't resolve the issue.

Solution? Disable SVM in the UEFI! The setting that the error doesn't mention at all!

0 Likes
kushan
Adept II

Some of us need hyper-v.

_twx_
Journeyman III

Hyper-V or Ryzen Master, realy you are not able to fix that Problem? ...

0 Likes
thornton
Adept II

Don't count on it. They don't give a s... about the problem. 

0 Likes
bandwiches
Adept I

I also have this issue, Hyper-V required for every day usage.

0 Likes
speedy37
Adept I

I think another problem is this thread is "Assumed answered" which hides it from AMD.

0 Likes
klauspost
Adept I

I created a program that can apply the patch to Ryzen Master: GitHub - klauspost/ryzen-master-vbs-patch: AMD Ryzen Master VBS patcher 

Of course, use at your own risk and backup the original executable. All I can say is that it works with v2.1.1.1472 - but it seems it have been stable for a while.

0 Likes
kushan
Adept II

It looks like your program doesn't work with the current latest Ryzen Master (2.2.0.1543) and I cannot for the life of me find a mirror for 2.1.1.1472.

0 Likes
thornton
Adept II

Be aware, that if you have a Threadripper t,hese patches won't work because the binaries installed are completely different. They are a much older version (1.x or something like that) and the version number does not correspond to the package version (2.x.y)

0 Likes