cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

thornton
Adept II

Re: AMD Ryzen Master 1.3.0.618 VBS Error

I knew it wouldn't help but i wrote ADM support anyway. This is their useless answer (i sent them a link to this thread)

Dear Peter,

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[8200849328]} has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

Thank you for your email

I understand you are facing an issue with the ryzen master utility tool

I request you to try performing uninstallation of Ryzen master completely and then install the new version.

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master

Also, I request you to run the below Microsoft tool which will remove corrupted registry keys which might cause this kind of issues.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed...

Thanks for contacting AMD

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AM

AMD Global Customer Care

Absolutely useless. I don't think they even cared to read this thread.

thornton
Adept II

To be fair they actually sent a better reply now:

Dear Peter,

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[8200849328]} has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

My name is Matt and i will be taking over your service request, nice to e-meet you.

I understand that you are unable to launch AMD Ryzen Master with Hyper-V enabled and that you receive an error stating that VBS must be disabled. If this is incorrect, please let me know as the information provided may change.

Thank you for your email.

This is currently expected behavior, as according to the Ryzen Master Tool's quick reference guide (QRG), it mentions "Windows 10 Virtualization-Based Security must be disabled for Ryzen Master to function." More information is available on page 8 of the QRG > https://download.amd.com/documents/ryzen-master-quick-reference-guide.pdf

The feedback from our software team is that the incompatibility lies with VBS limiting Ryzen Master access to specific system resources.

We are currently looking into this limitation, but do not have any specific timeline as to when a solution will be available.

Please be advised that this service request will be permanently closed if you do not reply within 10 days. If more time is needed to respond to my e-mail above, please let me know and I will ensure that this service request remains open for you.

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

Matt

AMD Global Customer Care

thejohndoe
Adept I

thejohndoe
Adept I

There ya have it, folks. It's officially stated in their QRG: "Windows 10 Virtualization-Based Security must be disabled for Ryzen Master to function."

2018-12-20 10_21_49.png

0 Likes
thornton
Adept II

Yep. They actually managed get that into the QRG. They haven't added it to the UG or to their KB - and i personally don't look to the QRG for vital compatibility issues.

Besides that, it is still sucks big time, that they can't fix this issue and its quite weird, that the earlier versions of RM didn't suffer from the same problem.

0 Likes
thejohndoe
Adept I

Yep. There's no way we'll get detailed development insight as to why it no longer works with the Hyper-V installed.

0 Likes
thornton
Adept II

Nope. My guess is, that the bug is pretty much at the bottom of their todo list.

But unless Windows changed something, I have a hard time believing in their claim that it is windows that broke it. I think they broke it themselves and just use this as a bad excuse.

0 Likes
phrost6
Journeyman III

Well, MS *did* change something when they enabled VBS...

Virtualization-based security (VBS) memory enclaves: Data protection through isolation - Microsoft S...

I have trouble believing that a CPU manufacturer can't write a compliant interface that works properly with VBS though.

thornton
Adept II

Ok. So that explains why it broke.

But yes, it is unbelievable that they can't fix it. But I'm sure it's because they don't prioritize it.

0 Likes
gdogaru
Journeyman III

this is the last time I buy AMD, I had only problems with all the drivers, finally got hyperV to work for android emulators, and now this.

I think usually hardware makers should stay in sync with the operating systems, not let users suffer all the minor changes

0 Likes