cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

tomuse
Adept I

AMD Ryzen Master 1.3.0.618 VBS Error

I have installed an update from AMD Ryzen Master version 1.2.0.540 to 1.3.0.618. When I start the program I always get the error message:

Ryzen Master VBS Error.PNG

the old version did not have these problems and starts immediately. Only the update of Ryzen Master has been installed.

System Parameters:

Mainboard: ASUS X370-Pro @ BIOS 4008,

CPU: AMD Ryzen 1700,

Windows 10 1709 (10.0.16299.371)

Microsoft Hyper-V installed

188 Replies

disable VBS...

need to uninstall Hyper-V using Windows "Turn Windows Features On or OFF" .

This link from Microsoft explains what Virtual-base Security is under Hyper-V feature: Virtualization-based Security (VBS) | Microsoft Docs

First of all, thank you for your suggestions. I am aware of all these proposed solutions.  But I wonder why it worked with version 1.2.0.540 before, AMD must have improved a bit.

@elstaci

you mean uninstall Hyper-V first, then install AMD Ryzen Master and then reactivate Hyper-V ?

@sharktooth

did you mean

Manage Windows Defender Credential Guard (Windows 10) | Microsoft Docs

I would try to uninstall Hyper-V first before disabling VBS. That would be the easiest and fastest and safest way to try and see if Master Ryzen installs without the error. If you aren't using Hyper-V feature than there is no reason to have it installed.

If the error continues than you can disable VBS in the link you gave to sharktooth and see if Master Ryzen installs and works correctly. If it does, enable VBS again and test Master Ryzen and see if it shows the error again or has other errors.

I would follow closely on how to disable VBS on your computer. Make sure you create a Restore point in case something goes wrong or make a System Image backup before disabling VBS. VBS is something I am not familiar with. I haven't heard of anyone else posting about that specific error for VBS on their Windows based computers Master Ryzen program.

I would use the Tool from Microsoft from the link to disable it so that it will be disabled properly.

0 Likes

As soon as I completely uninstall Hyper-V, AMD Ryzen Master 1.3.0.618 starts properly after a reboot.

After that, i reinstalled Hyper-V and the problem with the VBS error occurs again.

Also my changes in the registry recommended by Microsoft did not bring any improvement

• Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceGuard.
  • Add a new DWORD value named EnableVirtualizationBasedSecurity. Set the value of this registry setting to 1 to enable virtualization-based security and set it to 0 to disable it.

Also my changes in the group policy where I switched off the policy did not bring any improvement.

pastedImage_0.png

So I have now installed version 1.2.0.540 again. This runs 100% correct.

There seems to be something wrong with the new version, otherwise the old version would not work.

If you uninstalled Hyper-V and Master Ryzen worked, there wasn't any reason to take a risk and modify the Registry or disabling thru Group Policy. This can cause unexpected future problems. Hope you made a restore point before doing all that.

If Master Ryzen previous version works fine then there is no need to update it.

Is there any reason why you need Hyper-V installed?

If you want you can notify AMD Support about this through the AMD REPORT ISSUE. They won't answer you but it will alert them to the problem you were having: AMD Issue Reporting Form

0 Likes

@elstaci, of course I had created an image with DriveSnapshot before, so I had no problems after the restore.

I need Hyper-V for different programming environments for professional reasons. I can't live without it.

But as you said before there is no reason to change from version 1.2 to version 1.3 if everything runs smoothly before.

I will get a new AMD system with an ASUS X470-PRO motherboard in 3 weeks. On this motherboard I will do a new installation

with Windows 10. Then I'll see if the bug can be reproduced.

Thank you very much for your support

needsnurfing
Adept II

I too have this issue, however i just upgraded to an AMD R7 2700x. I'm forced to use the latest version of ryzen master as older ones are not supported. Problem is I also use Hyper V and cannot just simply "uninstall" something I use 24x7.

I believe, both of you guys, need to open a Email Support Ticket : Email Form , that way you both will get a reply back from AMD Support.

Tomuse , as soon as you upgrade your Motherboard and possibly your Ryzen, you are going to have the same problem as needsnurfing​.

I have a feeling if you disable VBS in any way (through Registry or Group Policy), Hyper-V won't work. Since Hyper-V uses VBS.

Most likely the AMD Moderators have read this thread and aware of the problem.

0 Likes

Thanks for the info, I requested a Ticket via e-mail.

Service Request: {ticketno:[8200807277]}

0 Likes

Can you Post AMD Support reply and what they suggest when they reply. Hopefully, they will.

0 Likes

Here the Answer from AMD:

Dear Thomas,

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[8200807277]} has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

Thank you for the email.

I understand you are getting error when launching Ryzen master 1.3 on your computer.

I request you to try performing uninstallation of Ryzen master completely and then install the new version.

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master

Also, I request you to run the below Microsoft tool which will remove corrupted registry keys which might cause this kind of issues.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed...

Thank you for contacting AMD.

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

Santosh

AMD Global Customer Care

That diagnostic program will be useful in the future for troubleshooting issues concerning installation of programs. Didn't even know they had such a program until you posted your reply from AMD Support.

Let us know if it works.

0 Likes

I got the exact same email, it doesn't work.

1. I was already using the latest Ryzen Master

2. The tool is only for issues installing and uninstalling software, nothing to do with actually running the installed ryzen master and hyper v in unison.

0 Likes

Reply back before they close your ticket so that they can continue to troubleshoot the issue with both of you guys.

0 Likes

Thanks, have done. Will update with any info.

I wonder if this will be another thing they will solve with a future version such as the initial launch of ryzen master and HPET.

0 Likes

You two are the first ones, that I am aware of, having that VBS error with Ryzen Master Program. The reason may be because Hyper-V is not installed automatically by default in Windows 10. Thus most people are using Ryzen Master without Hyper-V installed. Hopefully more people will see the same error as you two. That way AMD Support can verify it on their computers and make changes to the program so that it will work with Hyper-V installed in the latest versions of Ryzen Master.

I'm looking into your issue directly and will update the thread as soon as i have more information.

Ok thanks Matt, let us know if you need anything.

0 Likes

This is a known issue and should affect all versions of Ryzen Master Tool.

Can you provide more information on which Ryzen Master Tool version worked with Hyper V as this is not expected?

0 Likes

1.2.0.0540 is working on Windows 10 Pro x64 1803 without issue.

0 Likes
zyle
Journeyman III

I'm just replying so i can keep track of this thread, I use Hyper-V out of neccesity, and would like to be able to use ryzen master too.

I completely agree. I purchase the Thread Ripper so I could run virtual machines... silly to not be able to use Ryzen software also?

Totally. One of my rationale to go with Threadripper was so I could have enough processing power to virtualize two servers that I need as a testbed to run an enterprise software called Meridium so I can work out how the latest changes to the software would affect my department. I just wanted Ryzen Master running so I can check CPU temperature. Good thing I rediscovered HWiNFO64 thanks to someone here, but yeah. Why the BIOS of this mobo is designed to scare people which such high readings is beyond me. As a matter of fact, I suggest AMD tells it's board manufacturers to stop doing this, this is doing nothing to help AMD's previously bad image that it's chips run hot.

0 Likes
tomuse
Adept I

The same problem also exists with Windows 10 Version 1803 (build 17134.1).

If Hyper-V is activated, only Ryzen Master Version 1.2.0.540 is running, with Version 1.3.0.618 you always get the VBS Error.

System Parameters:

Mainboard: ASUS X370-Pro @ BIOS 4008,

CPU: AMD Ryzen 1700,

Windows 10 1803 (10.0.17134.1)

Microsoft Hyper-V installed

tomuse
Adept I

The last answer from AMD Support

Thank you for the response.

We have received similar reports from the users and our driver team is currenty looking into it.

I request you to revert to old version as of now and wait for an update or fix.

Thank you for contacting AMD.

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

Santosh

AMD Global Customer Care

0 Likes

Hi,

I would like to report that I too am getting this error.

I am trying to install Ryzen Master onto my X399 system (decided to switch from Linux because ultimately I need to run Sony Vegas).

I cannot remove Hyper-V because I need it in Visual Studio, as Microsoft's Windows Mobile and Android SDK uses it to virtualize the simulation environments for running the apps.

Please help.

needsnurfing
Adept II

Any update with regards to the progress? My support ticket has been closed I believe.

0 Likes

Sorry there are no updates.

This behavior is expected, however i did forward the interest in this feature and the fact it did work on a specific older version to the Ryzen team for consideration.

longyc
Journeyman III

Register an account here just to raise my concern on the same issue as well, Hyper-V will only get more popular and I hope AMD can take this issue more seriously if Ryzen is to be marketed as a multitask power horse.

you can always overclock from the BIOS... it's still the preferred way, since you can control motherboard specific features (like VRM settings/LLC) you cannot control with Ryzen Master.

EDIT: if you need to keep sensors (temps/voltages/ecc...) under control, you could just use HWInfo64

Thing is tho, I do not want to overclock. I just want a convenient way to look at the CPU temperature.

As for HWiNFO64, yeah, what I'm using now.

HWInfo64 is your friend. Look at Tdie temp to have the correct temperature reading.

0 Likes

I'm aware of alternative third party solutions and the good ol' BIOS, but thanks for sharing it anyway.

Still, my point is, customers purchased Ryzen under the impression of being able to use this what advertised as simple and powerful Ryzen Master, only to find out it doesn't work with Hyper-V (one of the main reasons I purchase a Windows 10 Pro instead of a Home edition). So, the picture I'm seeing is: Ryzen is for power users who use Windows 10 Pro but it comes with a software that doesn't work well with Pro. Not trying to whine but I do think Ryzen should take this issue more seriously. I like how AMD commits to long term support for AM4 and differentiate with multitasking thus I'm willing to give up single core and gaming performance but less priority for Pro users do bother me a little.

maybe I was misunderstood. I suggested a workaround... but the main issue needs to be fixed.

giorgiog
Journeyman III

I just created an account to say... come on AMD - don't make me regret building this 1950X rig.    

Yeah. I know it takes a while to run new software through QA (who knows how much of it is automated), but I'm hoping they put out a fix sometime soon.

0 Likes
tomuse
Adept I

The current version 1.3.0.623 also has the same problems as its predecessor. So we are still waiting for a working version.

1.3.0.623.PNG

Really? I bought my 1950X for Hyper-V, does AMD actually do any testing?

0 Likes