Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ozzy2020
Journeyman III

AMD Ryzen™ 5 3500U drivers for ubuntu/mint

Hello,

i recently bought a lenovo laptop (c340), however i cannot install the proprietary drivers as the support site does not indicate any for any LInux (see: https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/amd-ryzen-processors/amd-ryzen-5-mobile-processors-radeon-vega-gr...  )

What can i do??

thanks

0 Likes
7 Replies

AMD Download page also doesn't have any Linux Graphic driver for the Mobile Ryzen 5 3500U APU: https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/amd-ryzen-processors/amd-ryzen-5-mobile-processors-radeon-vega-gr...

I would suggest opening a thread at this Linux Forum: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/

See if anyone else has found a way to install the AMD integrated Graphics for the Rzyen 5 3500U APU using Linux in a laptop.

Have you tried to see if AMDGPU or AMDGPU-PRO driver for Linux works? 

Here is the latest version but doesn't indicate any Mobile AMD Graphic: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-amdgpu-unified-linux 

0 Likes
ozzy2020
Journeyman III

I installed AMDGPU, still not working though

0 Likes
ariandy
Journeyman III

I bought a Lenovo Ideapad S340 (Ryzen 5 3500U using Vega 8 integrated graphic).
I was able to successfully install Mint 19.2 using amdgpu drivers and kernel 5.
Having a generic open source gpu driver, I am pretty much sure that my system is not taking advantage of the full power of the integrated graphic card. Neverthless the system is usable and I don't have any issues except, sometimes, with very gpu intensive apps.

I would also suggest you to update the BIOS of your motherboard, which I did using the preinstalled windows OS before trying to install Mint:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMD-Releases-Linux-Zen2-Fix

nacevedo
Adept I

It's a fail for AMD that doesn't have any Linux propertary driver, more knowing AMD is one of the openSUSE's project sponsor.

I use openSUSE TW, the open source driver works, but to me, is not enough: I have AMD/Nvidia (AMD Ryzen 5 2500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx with Nvidia Geforce GTX1050) and I'd like the same performance as in Windows: PowerXpress/Optimus technology but in Linux. My results: Using ONLY the Nvidia dGPU which drains too fast the battery (1% per minute)..

alfredovogel
Journeyman III

I run Manjaro 5.6 on ASUS RYZEN 5 3500U laptop. The drivers for these mobile CPU will apparently not become available until kernel 5.7 

This means that AMD laptops will have to wait for Linux drivers towards the next cycle for release of Linux Kernel. I suggest to install a Arch like self updating bistro and wait for the new kernels to appear. 

My main issue is the automatic rotation of screen since no sensors are detected for lack of drivers.

gismoozmerg
Journeyman III

Hello,

I would like to share my workaround for a freezing problem during boot time which relates to this issue.
I'm using a hard drive encryption for an extra layer of privacy protection (LVM on LUKS).

My system stats:
Ubuntu: 18.04.04
Kernel: 5.3.0-42-generic
Lenovo 20NKS01Y00 Thinkpad T495

As previously correctly commented there are no official proprietary drivers for this APU.
Installing AMDPRO-PRO Drivers had no success.
Due to the hard drive encryption, grub can not load the graphics drivers from the drive.
This is needed to show those nice graphics and animation during boot time (splash screen, etc.)
I had to slightly configure the files /etc/default/grub and /etc/modules with sudo

/etc/default/grub:

# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
    # /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
    # For full documentation of the options in this file, see:
    #   info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
    GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="--verbose nouveau.noaccel=1"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

# Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs
    # This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains
    # the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...)
    #GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xefefefef"

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
    GRUB_TERMINAL=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
    # note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
    # you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
    #GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
    #GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
    #GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"

# Uncomment to get a beep at grub start
    #GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"

/etc/modules:

# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
    #
    # This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
    # at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.

nouveau

It might sound confusing but using the preinstalled NVIDIA drivers proved for me to be sufficient.
I'm using my notebook for programming and education purposes only. No graphics-heavy applications.
I highly doubt that this setting will satisfy gaming needs..

nacevedo
Adept I

This answer may vary from Linux distributions, but in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ you should create a file named 10-amgdpu.conf and to add the following:

Section "OutputClass"
Identifier "AMDgpu"
MatchDriver "amdgpu"
Driver "modesetting"
#Option "PrimaryGPU" "No" # Yes para establecerla como primaria en un sistema híbrido.
EndSection
0 Likes