cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

dasgeek
Journeyman III

AMD Ryzen 3rd Generation CPU's Not Booting In Linux

I'm such a fan of AMD and talk about it often on the Destination Linux podcast and my own Youtube channel. However, it seems there is a consistent theme of AMD products not working on Linux when they're released. I experienced this first with the Radeon VII GPU and now there are reports of issues with the RX5700 and even more concerning with not even being able to boot with the new Gen 3 Ryzen CPU's (https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ryzen-3700x-3900x-linux&num=1 ) another example is with Linux youtube and media personalities in which you sent the hardware to preview and they can't even run it.

Example: "To clarify, "popular" support (and by that I mean "out of the box" support) for @Radeon RX 5700 series on @Linux won't even be available until August at the earliest. Really disappointing, sorry gang. I'll test as soon as I can though."

AMD has done amazing things pushing open-source drivers and accelerating the CPU market. Lisa Su is an absolute genius and the devs and engineers at AMD are just showing how truly talented they are lately with their hardware releases. Yet, despite all of this there is a weak spot when it comes to Linux and new hardware. From what I understand now, this maybe an issue with Systemd but if this hardware was tested at all at AMD this would have been known prior to release.

I have a lot of connections with developers of all the major distros. I personally would be willing to perform any testing needed and I'm certain there are many distro devs who would love to work with AMD directly to test this on your behalf to find and fix these issues prior to release.

So my questions is whether there is someone at AMD I can work with to make these connections or how can we get this problem fixed? It's impossible to tell tens of thousands of people we reach on our podcast to support the hardware manufacturer that is pushing open source so heavily, when your new products won't work on the platform for weeks or months after their release. The competitors hardware isn't facing these issues and their using proprietary solutions. There is something missing here and I want to help fix it.

I'm here to help in anyway I can bridge this gap. Are the devs of the distros you're reaching out to not helping? If so, I can get you in touch with the right people to fix this. Is it a lack of testers because I can put together a team of testers in no time flat. Please let me know what it is you need.

13 Replies

The current Linux kernel does not yet have components for x570 or Ryzen 3000 series processors, give them some time to get that added to the driver base

dasgeek
Journeyman III

Good news is this issue appears to have a patch by AMD rolling out to the motherboard vendors in the next few days https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMD-Releases-Linux-Zen2-Fix 

While this is getting fixed I would still love to find a way we can help AMD with testing for new hardware. It seems that the current testing and all the work AMD did with kernel patching leading up to the release revolved entirely around an older version of Ubuntu 18.04. I know many distros are eager to work with AMD from Solus, Pop!_OS to openSUSE who could help make sure hardware is ready to go on day one.

Thankful AMD has a fix in place. Would love to see this testing situation improved and willing to help make connections if that is needed.

It is the unfortunate truth that AMD tends to make things work after release not before in many cases. They also don't support beta OS. They also tend to have great, revolutionary hardware but software either driver or firmware don't seem to get the same attention the hardware does. Hopefully they sort this in short order.

0 Likes
whyamd333
Adept II

I said this in another post : Destiny 2 wont run on the new Ryzen 3000 series either. Now its very good that AMD is taking care of this with a bios update but come on this is Bungie's bad. Every other game and benchmark known to mankind is running fine only Destiny 2 will not run. This is not AMD's problem to fix. Another issue is making others flash there bios and that might not go so well with a lot of systems and for some people this could be a disaster. Final they say a fix is on the way soon the fix was sent to mobo manufactures already ahhh IDK about that these mobo makers have to be extra careful not to just throw a bios fix up for all there motherboards just to fix one game and some Linux vers. that wont run. Let just hope it wont take to long to fix. 

0 Likes
whyamd333
Adept II

AMD NEW NEWS! :

Per comments from Shimano on the ASUS official forum and GBT_Matthew here on Reddit, the newest AGESA 1.0.0.3ABA has been pulled from all vendors due to a PCIe bug.

This was the update that was supposed to include the fix for Destiny 2.

Vendors now must wait for a fix from AMD before they can proceed. Here is the link to the article :

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cf0lsd/agesa_1003aba_is_bugged_and_has_been_pulled/ 

This is going to take forever to fix !

jrgsampaio
Adept I

I set up a Asrock X570 gaming 4 with a Ryzen 7 3700x 2 weeks ago and updated the UEFI for the last version (1.30) on July 15 (dated 07/12/2019, therefore, after AMD had distributed the fix, but not sure if this version includes the fix because in the Asrock BIOS description it says sys_fan 2  fix, or so). Even so, I couldn't install Ubuntu 19.04 using the startup pendrive.
I was able to install Ubuntu 19.04 through a long process. First I installed Ubuntu 18.04 (no problem), then I upgraded (using the update tool) to 18.10, and finally again upgraded to 19.04. I didn't try starting with 18.10.

Ubuntu 19.04 is running with my 7 3700X. Screenshot below

Thanks,

Jorge

Screenshot from 2019-07-24 18-01-55.png

There have been a lot of updates to the Linux kernel lately

0 Likes
whyamd333
Adept II

HERE is some good news MAYBE? Kinda sounds more like a work around IDK we'll have to wait and see.

Posted byu/AMD_Robert Technical Marketing22 hours ago

PLACEHOLDER: Update on WHEA Warnings, Destiny 2, and desktop idle on July 30
News
Hello, friends.
Please set a remindme! on this post for Tuesday morning (30 July) Central Daylight Saving Time (CDT). We have a comprehensive update coming for you regarding the WHEA warnings in the Windows Event Log; Destiny 2 game launch; and desktop idle behavior.
We're putting the finishing touches on it, and wanted to let y'all know when to expect it as soon as I could. I will edit this post with the final details on 7/30.

LINK: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ciajef/placeholder_update_on_whea_warnings_destiny_2_and/ 

0 Likes
jrgsampaio
Adept I

Just to inform. After some pressure, ASRock released a beta version 1.33 of the UEFI for my MB (ASRock Phantom Gamming 4) and It seems to solve the problem with the 3rd gen for my 7 3700X. The guy sent me the beta version and I took the risk to upgrade my UEFI (ready to rollback). But it worked! ASRock should release it soon.

Jorge

jfinglas
Adept I

its a known issue , its the x570 chipset. RdRand and SystemD are conflicting and requesting the same resources at the same time leading to everything being rejected as errors when it reality its basically a race condition clash. They thought they fixed with last bios update (F4) but ti failed to work. Engineers working on a new bios fix attempt atm.

robertdmunn
Journeyman III

Has anyone tried the Ubuntu 19.10 daily builds to see if this issue is resolved? The bug is marked as fixed in the systemd package. 

robertdmunn wrote:

Has anyone tried the Ubuntu 19.10 daily builds to see if this issue is resolved? The bug is marked as fixed in the systemd package. 

It may be several months before Linux is stable for X570 boards, 99% of users have Windows 10 installed

I use Linux in a VM which is the best place for it in my opinion

0 Likes