cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

pzjack1130
Adept I

AMD Relive: Host Application High CPU Usage

Having an issue with high cpu usage on driver 18.4.1. Task manager shows 30% cpu usage. Now the problem persists with previous relive drivers, 18.3.1, 18.2.1. The only solution is to end task or rename dvrcmd.exe so it wont execute. HWInfo64 doesn't install since this issue came up.

Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7

16gb DDR3 2400mhz

Asus Strix RX 480 8gb - stock bios

Evga 750 g2

Windows 10 v1803 - clean install

Anybody else have this issue? Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution
abyssdemon
Adept I

Hello, I've just solved this by doing the following, (high cpu usage)

- Restarted in Safe Mode

- Used DDU to uninstall AMD, Intel and Nvidia Drivers (all must be uninstalled)

- Used the option in DDU to uninstall and shutdown the PC

- Installed the latest AMD driver

- Installed the iGPU Intel driver

It seems that the iGPU driver in the Intel was causing this problem

View solution in original post

37 Replies

Many Users, normally with RX 4xx & RX 5xx series GPUs, have the GPUs running at Maximum until "Relive" is stopped either thru Task Manager or renaming the Relive files. This was supposed to have been Fixed in later Drivers.

But I haven't seen a User complain about high CPU usage for an Active Relive.

is the 4790K an Intel CPU? if it is, see if you can update the CHIPSET for the Intel CPU and see if it helps any. Download it from Gigabyte's Support on your Motherboard.

All the Intel drivers are current: chipset, mei, ahci, lan and audio. I've never had this problem on previous Adrenalin drivers. Maybe its a problem with Windows v1803.

0 Likes

Open an AMD Email Support ticket and see what they recommend and also to let them know, at least on your computer setup, Relive is causing high CPU usage on an Intel CPU: Email Form

0 Likes

Thanks

0 Likes

Another note. I didn't install Relive, it just showed up. I even tried to install Relive, then delete it but that didn't work.

0 Likes

I too never installed Relive, but it shows up as a running program in task manager. What I did was delete the DVR exe. in C:/program files/AMD/C Next/Cnext.

I just renamed it and that stopped it from executing. But for some reason HWInfo64 doesn't install after this issue showed up. And GPU-Z throws an error: GPU_Query_External.exe doesn't exist.

0 Likes

Update GPU-Z there is a new version out. Also see if you can update HWinfo64 to the latest since the new Windows 10 version came out.

Try running HWinfo64 and GPU-Z with Administration Rights and see if it runs correctly.

0 Likes

They're both the latest versions downloaded yesterday. I'll try as administrator.

0 Likes

If you still are having problems, then run:

SFC /scannow on elevated Command Prompt or Powershell to check your Windows 10 installation. It is possible when you upgraded something got corrupted during the process. This command will fix any missing or corrupt Windows files on your computer.

0 Likes

Thanks

0 Likes
abyssdemon
Adept I

Hello, I'm having exactly the same issue after update to windows 1803. Did you find any way to solve this?

0 Likes

Sorry you're having problems but I'm glad I'm not the only one. I sent an email to technical support and they suggested I delete amddvr.exe. I still haven't figured out the issues with HWInfo64 and GPU-Z even though I installed the latest versions. I might revert back to Windows 10 Pro v1709 to see if that solves anything.

0 Likes

I guess GPU z and HWinfo64 should use amddrv.exe to detect the GPU. Since I'm not using amddrv.exe (I have to stop the process), I also can't use AMD overlay. I noticed that you have an Z97x gaming 7 board that is the exact same model as mine.

0 Likes

It's a good board, I really like it. It's such a strange issue. Everything works fine with Crimson drivers and Windows v1803. I like HWInfo64 for temp and voltage monitoring but I might have to find another option.

0 Likes

Try this Hardware Monitoring program. It is similar to HWmonitor program: Open Hardware Monitor - Core temp, fan speed and voltages in a free software gadget

I installed Windows 7 Gadgets on my Windows 10 Pro computer. I used a program called 8GadgetPack that installs the same program as the Windows 7 version which allows Windows 7 Gadgets to operate on the Windows 10 Desktop. I have Gadgets that monitors my CPU and GPU devices.

I know that Microsoft cancelled this feature from Windows 7 saying it was too easy to hack and will make your computer, security wise, unsafe. But I have had it running on all of my Windows OSes since Windows 7 and never had an infection on my computer due to the gadgets running on my desktop.

Here is a picture of my desktop with all my Gadgets. The first three, in the middle, I enlarged quite a bit to show better the data that it indicates on a constant basis.

0 Likes

I still use the gadgets too! I think they are great and have no good alternative then to side load the old sidebar back into Windows 10.

0 Likes

I thought that Windows 8/10 tiles/Apps may have been nice except:

1)  You have to physically open them to see what they are reporting

2)  When opened, they take up 20-30 % of your desktop view.

3) They weren't made to be displayed on the desktop.

Windows 7 Gadgets are small and packed with very useful Data plus also make certain computer functions much easier. This the main website where I downloaded most of my gadgets that weren't included in the original Windows 7 Gadget package: Windows10Gadgets.pro - Homepage - Free Desktop Sidebar Gadgets for Windows 10/8.1/7. .

My CPU gadget was what alerted me that my CPU Cooler wasn't cooling efficiently as in the pass. Eventually I needed to upgrade the stock CPU Cooler with Cooler Master 212x EVO which now prevents my CPU (FX 8350) from overheating, even when the CPU is at 100% load. My GPU Gadget constantly lets me know the GPU Temperature and whether the GPU fan is on or off.

I have a Gadget for my UPS that lets me know how much wattage my computer is using at any given time.

Generally, as you can see, I am a big fan of Windows 7 Gadgets. I hope you are correct and they bring that feature back once they determine how to make them more secure. But I would think with all the security features of Windows 10 + Windows Defender + Anti-Virus program it will catch any suspicious attempt by hackers even if they use the Gadgets as a doorway.

0 Likes

Yes to all that! Ditto! I love mine and I catch issues with mine before anything else alerts me. That is why I love them, plus I like a couple of the accessory ones too. A couple of the ones I use are more updated than those that were arround back when they were in the Windows 7 hay day. These still get updates frequently. I think the GPU Monitor one you have is the same as mine, but my system monitor one and network monitor one are made by that same guy.

0 Likes

Looks like my desktop with gadgets

0 Likes

Yah too funny and in another thread I get chastised cause apparently I don't support old software! The place I get my newer ones from that replaced the older monitors with updated support for hardware is: Windows10Gadgets.pro - Homepage - Free Desktop Sidebar Gadgets for Windows 10/8.1/7.   What is nice with his too is that that the graphics in the gadget are much higher resolution so they still look good at 1440p and 4K, not jagged like some of the original gadgets are on today's monitors.

0 Likes

I tried rainmeter gadgets in the past but they consumed too many resources. I like HWInfo64 because it integrates well with rivatuner to create osds for benchmarking and gaming.

0 Likes

They are not all optimized that great. Until I updated CPU's and memory a few months back I had eliminated several of my normal gadgets do to resources myself. I stumbled upon a guy making newer monitors and posted the that in link above but no approved by the mods yet. I find them to be better resource optimized too.

0 Likes

I am also having the same issues and more. Firefox will not play YouTube videos with Hardware Acceleration enabled (works with it disabled and Chrome works regardless) and none of my crypto mining software works (all Claymore miners, XMRig, Cast XMR, PhoenixMiner, etc) as they just hang never finding a GPU. Having same problem with high CPU usage, GPU-z, etc.

Fresh Win 10 1803 install, MSI Z97 Mpower MAX AC board, 4790K, MSI 290X Lightning. However ReLive is installed as I do use it on rare occasions.

0 Likes

I am definitely having it get stuck and cause high cpu usage with this driver and already opened a support ticket but they have not replied. I submitted an issue report as well. I am just killing it when it happens, have not done the rename thing. You are not alone. The thing that is different this time from when it happened in the earlier Adrenaline drivers was that I could exactly repeat the issue by playing the same youtube video for instance. This time around is more random the same thing does not always get it stuck. Which really does have me wondering if it is driver or a Windows update or maybe both together.

0 Likes

I opened a support ticket and they told me to delete amddvr.exe. I think it might be a driver issue with Windows as well. I usually install my own motherboard drivers but there might be some conflict with leftover drivers. I might try a clean Windows install with the internet disconnected and block WUC updates.

0 Likes

you can block Windows Update from updating drivers but don't block Critical or Optional updates. AMD drivers may depend on them to work correctly.

yes those so called optional .net updates are very important to the drivers.

0 Likes

I recommend trying this, please let me know how you get on.

0 Likes

amdmatt​ I believe you forgot to add the link in your last comment.

0 Likes

I was recommending a clean install of Windows.

0 Likes
abyssdemon
Adept I

Hello, I've just solved this by doing the following, (high cpu usage)

- Restarted in Safe Mode

- Used DDU to uninstall AMD, Intel and Nvidia Drivers (all must be uninstalled)

- Used the option in DDU to uninstall and shutdown the PC

- Installed the latest AMD driver

- Installed the iGPU Intel driver

It seems that the iGPU driver in the Intel was causing this problem

Thanks. I solved it by doing a clean install of Windows and blocking driver updates, then installing my own drivers. WUC was installing an old Intel vga driver that was conflicting with the new one. Which is essentially what your method fixes. This also solved the problem with HWInfo64.

whye the... i have to istall igpu driver? when i have igpu disabled this is why im using amd RX, and still i have 25% cpu usage non stop, w t f

moondust
Journeyman III

I followed this video How to Fix Radeon Software Host Application High CPU Usage - YouTube apparently there was a folder missing in my Video folder called Radeon ReLive so I had to create it then stop and restart the Radeon services hope this helps.

I CANT believe this is going on since two years! Im using AMD Ryzen Zen+ CPU and its happening... Removing drivers with DDU, renaming, recreating, deleting, opening and closing settings... Nothing makes a difference! Come on guys. 

Sorry for this necro but I just noticed this myself. I killed the task and it stopped doing whatever it was doing. I don't use the relive or anything fancy like that. It started using  about 20% cpu for no reason, thought it was maybe updating but it was not(afaik). 

0 Likes