cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Ascetic
Journeyman III

AMD Radeon VII Latest Driver Issue

I tried to install the latest version of Adrenalin for my Radeon VII, Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.12., along with the driver for the GPU and got hit with a blue screen error, SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. After restarting my PC, no programs or files could be opened. It seems as if the Adrenalin program was stuck trying to boot up. After going into Windows safe mode, reverting to a previous driver version, and uninstalling Adrenalin I was able to get my PC to stabilize. My question is two fold: Is this an issue that's happened before or is common at all and is there a way to get Adrenalin reinstalled without causing total system instability?    

0 Likes
2 Replies

You might the following:

I would suggest trying to install the drivers from scratch again as sometimes things just corrupt.

Have the driver downloaded from AMD

Download and run DDU from wagnardsoft dot com from safe mode with Internet unplugged or wifi off. 

Restart with Internet still disconnected.

Install the AMD driver but don't pick express install. Choose the"Factory Reset" option.

See if that helps.

I that doesn't help repeat the same process above but install a previous driver that worked for you and report the issue to AMD:

In Radeon Settings there is a Bug Report tool too you can submit the issue or

You can contact AMD support here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Good Luck!

0 Likes
Ascetic
Journeyman III

Some time after I created this post (a few days maybe) I was able to install just the drivers and not the adrenalin software. With the holidays and work I wasn't able to look into the issue further. I had some spare time recently and decided to see if the issue was resolved through an update on AMD's Driver & Support page. It wasn't and no new drivers had been released in the past month. I then decided to check my Windows update and again no new updates were available, however I noticed under the main updates tab there was a link in small text that said view optional updates. Under these optional updates, among other optional updates, was an AMD display update and an old update for my monitor. After installing these two optional updates, I tried to install adrenalin again. It work perfectly with no issues. I don't know if these updates were available 4 weeks ago and I missed them (which is very possible) or if they were recently released to address the issues that some customers have been having with the adrenalin software. The fix for this issue was installing optional updates through Windows update. I'm glad I found a fix for this but wish it wasn't so obscure as to be frustrating. In my opinion, I think a note should be added to the notice on the drivers page indicating that optional Windows updates may resolve issues with the adrenalin software.

0 Likes