cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

kaminari
Adept II

Re: AMD Radeon Software not launching

For info, Radeon Software 20.10.1 doesn't fix this Windows Update bug.

When running Radeon Software (from the Start menu or from the desktop) and looking at the Task Manager, two processes are launched then quickly closed:

Radeon Software: Command Line Interface (cncmd.exe)

Radeon Software: Host Application (radeonsoftware.exe)

0 Kudos
ivonik
Adept I

Knowing the "epic" level of the driver creation team, knowing how broken Windows 2004  has been I think it is a convergence of broken that created this mess.
I haven't rebooted my PC for 4-5 days (updated last week(before 16th) to 20.9.2. Today I rebooted (well powered down) only to return to NON functioning GUI.
AMD reddit - as usual silence (AMD can do no wrong - the typical stance)
Here - NO acknowledgement from AMD that their driver is broken (for the bajillionth time) @kaminari - I see this only after reboot, or after log off/login - not on subsequent attempts.
Strangely enough some part of the driver seems to start up (AMD crash yadda yadda, AMD something driver something) on boot, but on subsequent attempts to launch the driver. How many aeons will take for AMD to acknowledge this and how many more to FIX IT.

0 Kudos
chalupaking
Journeyman III

Looks like my problems started around Oct 13th. Was running 20.9.2 just fine until then. Looks like my driver got hacked and it broke forever . Good thing I have backups! Will be doing a quick restore later today.

20201020-10_01_46-AppCrashView.png

MB : MSI MEG X570 Unify
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT (Matisse)(Zen 2 Series)
RAM: 16 GiB CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro DD4-3200 (2 x 8 GiB)
GPU: XFX Radeon RX 5600 XT 14 Gbps 6 GiB (Adrenalin 20.9.2)
PSU: Seasonic 600W Prime Titanium Fanless

0 Kudos
kaminari
Adept II

0 Kudos
toothy217
Journeyman III

had the same issues today with my ROG STRIX RX480 8GB. 

This is how I got it back working:
1.) I uninstalled all my recent windows updates. 

2.) Used the AMD utility to remove everything from AMD.

3.) downloaded RADEON Software 20.10.1, installed.... Restart....

4.) downloaded AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher 1.4.7 from AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher 1.4.7 download | SourceForge.net 

5.) run it.

6.) restart pc.

and IM FINALLY BACK WORKING

MD/ATI Pi

kaminari
Adept II

"ASSUMED ANSWERED"

No... not really. Unless we get a driver hotfix or Microsoft releases a new Windows update?

0 Kudos
comradewinston
Journeyman III

Got a 5700XT and suddenly the software stopped working after I dared to check for Windows updates. For some games it's essential to mess with settings so this sucks. Updating to 20.10.1 didn't fix it and I can't be bothered to play with OS versions, so here's to hoping Microsoft rubs its brain cells together sooner than later.

0 Kudos
comradewinston
Journeyman III

Welp, turns-out all I had to do is run DDU to clean it out thoroughly and reinstall the driver. Now the thing works. I installed the current mainline version for safety's sake too.

0 Kudos
kaminari
Adept II

I had a quick look at the registry. For some reason, the last Windows 10 update has moved my video port from:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000

to:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0001

which is enough to throw the Radeon software off balance. Since I don't see an official hotfix coming any time soon, I used the AMD Cleanup Utility (no need for DDU) to remove the Radeon driver and reinstall it from scratch. The GUI is now operational again with the latest Windows version. Of course you'll loose all your graphic settings, unless you made a previous backup.

flyingcows
Journeyman III

I reinstalled drivers using DDU 4 times and the issue comes back after a while

0 Kudos