Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

noodles59
Miniboss
Miniboss

Re: AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.3

The trick is having a case with proper airflow - This card def needs wind passing through the case or temps will rise.

0 Kudos
d00m_g4m3r
Adept II
Adept II

i got 6x 120mm fan coolers on my case... with very good airflow set. the stock cooler on R9 290 is very bad... you can`t make OC on this card without overheating, is better not to do. is not the end of the world the card is as performance like an GTX 970 at stock speeds, but is not ok to see you cand OC because the cooler don`t let you more.

0 Kudos
colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

I managed to do some more testing. Again I turned all overclocking on my CPU off. The GPU's are not overclocked. Both are Synced. System = Sapphire HD 7970 OC 6GB Vapor-X with R9 280X (aka HD7970 rebadged) OC 3GB Tri-X.

Here is the problem.

==============

Crossfire on Crysis* series (1,2,3,Wars) completely freezes my system and requires a reboot if I run with:

Frame Pacing on.

or Frame Rate Target Control on.

or both Frame Pacing and Frame Rate Target Control on.

I do have a workaround which is to run with both Frame Pacing and Frame Rate Target Control off.

When I do this I can play Crysis* for hours on max graphics settings with no Freezes or system issues, which is what you would hope for.

So my PC system is stable.

To summarize.

===========

Neither of these two new features (Frame Pacing, FRTC) are working properly with Crossfire.

The Freeze is pretty random. It can occur at game loading of you have full screen (and therefore Crossfire) set in Crysis*. I have managed to run for up to 10 minutes on Crysis* with either or both these Frame Pacing / FRTC on, so perhaps this is why AMD did not catch this issue in testing. It is really frustrating because when it happens the only thing to do is to reboot your machine. Please look into it and fix the issue.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
john007
Exemplar
Exemplar

Uninstall crimson.

Install 15.7.1 driver only.

Install Radeonpro mod drivers.

Enjoy.

0 Kudos
colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks for the suggestions. I would prefer not to go back to Catalyst Control Center though.

I really like the AMD Radeon Crimson Interface. I think it is generally a big improvement over the Catalyst Control Center.

I will not have a go at the AMD Software Team because of a couple of Crossfire Bugs. I work in Software myself so I know how difficult it can be to catch errors.

When I turn off these two features I have a generally good Crossfire Experience.

It is just really annoying that these features have caused the freeze bug. I didn't know what was causing the issue.

Frame Pacing is on by default for example. I can see the difference between having it on and off,sometimes, but I can live without it for the moment.

FRTC is more than a nice to have for me because I would rather run my GPU's around 65 FPS all the time. For example  I don't want them running at 165 - 200FPS in Crossfire when I am flying a VTOL in clear blue sky in Crysis Wars. When I land the VTOL in a more detailed graphics environment the GPU's seem to start to temperature throttle because they have been just running at such a high frame rate. The Frame Rate drops below 50FPS for about 10 seconds.  Not having FRTC just burns power for no reason and causes lower minimum frame rate.

I have tried RadeonPro some time ago, but it seemed very buggy indeed. I will have another look.

Maybe it will be updated to work with Crimson...

Thanks again.

ray_m
Community Manager
Community Manager

RadeonPro hasn't been updated since 2013.

Take a look at this :

pastedImage_0.png

kingfish
Esteemed Contributor III

I do not have crossfire. I have been around long enough to learn from the repeated posts about cf issues in this or that. Most posters are ranters concerning this issue. Others are the "refund" "sue" 'Go to Green' type. I just want to acknowledge you and your post. A breath of fresh air. This is the way a question should be asked...with all the pertinent information and how you achieved it. Kudos

If you haven't already done so, submit a Issue Report and file a Online Service Request. The information you have shared here in the forum should be most useful.

0 Kudos
ximox
Adept II
Adept II

Here we go, we have a genius here. Do you think we didn't all (at least most of us) go trough  the "right way to ask a question" as you refer to it and did not report the issue  following the right, useless,  channels? The fact that you and whoever else decided not to buy a crossfire anymore does not justify that it doesn't work as its still available for a steep price but with the promise of a great fast gaming experience and nobody tells you "warning, this system might (or better, will) not work with most of the main game releases"; once you have the issue you end up in the forum but then its too late.  You are not a crossfire owner, you dont have the issue, why you even reading this. Your comment does not help. At all.

0 Kudos
kingfish
Esteemed Contributor III

Yup. That's what I think.

0 Kudos
colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks for taking the time to send me the information.

Colesdav.

0 Kudos