Crimson is not stable I'm afraid to say.
Just install 15.7.1 driver but untick the CCC. After that install RadeonPro.
Do not install crimson.
john007 Understood, thanks.
Below in a somewhat larger post I outline steps I took according to a post I found on forums where a guy has written about a 100 page essay on all things AMD and optimization in general.
The only reason I want Crimson is for the better FRTC and Freesync for DX9 titles as I have still a lot especially from Steam games.
Updated to 16.3.1 to try Need For Speed 2015 - CF is broken same framerate as using only one. CF has a lot of stutters. I'm using 2x 290X 4GB
I cannot tolerate this Crimson Death garbage any longer.
Most of the functionality of CCC has been removed or hidden,
the interface is a horrible grey on grey,
the text is FAR too tiny to read and cannot be scaled up,
I have lost my presets for the only games I actually play, while it has created unwanted presets for DOSBox games I have not played for two years,
every time I try to select anything, all the icons fly around like a plague of locusts, to no apparent purpose or benefit,
I cannot be bothered continuing this list as I am spitting feathers.
Radeon drivers have never been painless to install, but I have used Radon cards since 2002. I can assure you I have had enough and my next card will be an NVidea. All my friends use them, so I am going over to the Green Side of the Force. Crimson is what did it.
How do I:
completely uninstall Crimson,
re-install Catalyst Control Centre
download ONLY the latest drivers for my Radeon HD7970?
This driver got a BUG with my Realtke audio onboard card driver in win 10 pro 64 bit... my gpu goes 99% up doing nothing on my desktop (R9 290 Gigabyte reference cooler). With my USB headphones driver no problem. I need to end task realtke driver from task manager to stop the GPU 99% load.
Scan my PC no virus, i reinstalled both drivers and do nothing, same problem. With 16.3 no problem but with 16.3.1 audio driver conflict.
I use both original Asus realtke driver from DVD and last update driver... same problem.
what is the point of announcing a Fury Pro???? You guys (AMD) can't even get vanilla crossfire on existing products working properly. 16.3.1 driver -
1) still has flickering issues with games when crossfire is enabled (e.g. Division, XCOM2 )
2) Crimson itself still looks and feels like a halve baked incomplete product ( per-application crossfire enable/disable still does not work; i still have to go into additional properties just to enable/disable crossfire from the old CCC interface )
3) No option to select 2/3/4 -GPU crossfire for people with more than 2 gpu in Crimson; i still have to go into additional properties (CCC) just to accomplish this
4) VDDC overclocking, disable ULPS, sync all cards to 1 single oc profile; this is completely absent and users need to use 3rd party apps such as TRIXX and Afterburner to accomplish this
5) graphics driver still crashes and restarts from time to time causing crossfire and VSR to be disabled; i have developed a paranoia such that at each system startup/restart i now go into Crimson (and additional settings) just to confirm that crossfire and VSR are enabled. what a pain
6) in information popup ui in crimson is so underutilized. it is filled with mostly useless information when a user clicks on the link to get more info. you could at least utilise this to explain in detail what the effects of each setting is under that tab so that your users have a better understanding to best utilise Crimson. E.g. what is the difference between each crossfire profile type? the effects of anisotrophic filtering ...etc. see NVIDIA game guide website for example. they do a great job explaining what each setting does and how it impacts a game. you can take a page and learn from them.
7) Raptor app; i dont get this application AT ALL. why have to places where game profiles are present? Can't you integrate the 'game optimising' features of raptor into Crimson under the per-game profiles?
i dont mind the new look of Crimson compared to CCC. the startup speed is appreciably faster which is good. but these are only eye-candy and wont be enough if the underlying product is still fundamentally incomplete.
i hope you guys (AMD) don't take this negatively as online bashing. I have been using AMD Gpu products since the introduction of the RIVA series. I could have gone NVIDIA 980/980Ti but i chose to plonk money into 3 x 290x cards because I still believe in you guys. So i hope that you will succeed in making this platform a success for your end-users. it would be a shame to abandon the red team for the opposition instead.
Still not fixed the disabled DITHERING with (at least) R4 APUs with 6bit LCD panels?
It is enabled just with some LCD...
Without dithering enabled there are very nasty gradients on the screen.
I concur... I have high hopes for AMD. I too don't want to go with the green side.
If this continues all the time and every game that comes out has crossfire issues there is going to be a point in time when enough is enough. My 7990 just won't cut the mustard with out crossfire. Please AMD listen to everyone on the forums. Most of the problems are relating to crossfire. These problems need to be sorted if you are to keep customers.
I'm hoping for the best and sticking in there for now. As other people say my friends too are with the other side. I'm the only one with AMD. I hope these issues get sorted soon....