Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

juliannb
Adept II

AMD Radeon Software 18.5.1 freezes my computer every 5 seconds

Hello, everybody!

I'm having issues with the newest version of the AMD Radeon Software, which is currently 18.5.1. I decided to reinstall the OS from scratch because of some issues with the computer itself and for some cleanning up, then I decided to install the most recent drivers of my devices (because I don't trust Windows 10's drivers update). The moment I install the AMD Radeon Software, my computer freezes for 1 second every 5 seconds I move the mouse, it's incredibly annoying and I can't figure out why. I restarted multiple times, but the issue is still there, so I decided to uninstall it. Once I restart, it works just fine, no stuttering nor freezing, even Windows 10 "updated drivers" work without any issues. But then again, whenever I play a game, it recommends me to update the GPU drivers.

To give you an idea, here's a gif'd video I recorded with my phone on a pitch-black picture and the cursor, drawing small circles and capturing every single stutter:

ezgif-1-c4f5a71d33.gif

Despite happening with the cursor itself, it actually freezes my entire computer. I played a video and the moment I move the mouse, EVERYTHING gets stuck for a second and so on. I've checked my PC performance and there's no process consuming the entirety of the CPU, RAM nor GPU, and it happens right after I install AMD Radeon Software 18.5.1. I haven't tried with a previous version, but if there's anything I can change on the settings to fix this, please, let me know, this issue is very annoying.

My PC specs are as follows:

- CPU: Intel i5 7600K 3.80GHz;

- GPU: ASUS Radeon Rx 580 8GB;

- Motherboard: Gigabyte H270-Gaming 3;

- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz;

- Storage: Corsair MP500 M.2 240GB + WD 3TB 7200RPM.

If I'm missing anything, please, let me know and I try to provide what you need as soon as I can.

Thank you very much in advance!

395 Replies
flaminsane
Journeyman III

Why is OP marked Assumed Answered? Thread is still active with users facing this issue and no apparent resolution allowing for the use of correct, up to date drivers and software.

0 Likes
elii236
Adept I

This is honestly such a disgrace and poor AMD support.

This problem exist for more than 4 months now and AMD still didn't fix it.

While I did love to support the underdog, this RX580 is going to be my last AMD product. And I was also thought about switching my 4590 to Ryzen next month, but I will stick with Intel, and will upgrade to another intel CPU.

Having bug from time to time is somewhat fine. But having the same bug, for over 4 months and not be able to fix it is another.

AMD official also stop responding to this thread, just like they accept it, the people who have this bug will remain with the old driver for god know how, and I only feel sorry for the new users who get new AMD GPU and when they install it they don't understand what went wrong.

I support you bro. I will definitely buy Intel + nvidia on my next system. Ryzen + memory have 1 year to fix some basic problems and this driver have 4 months with this problem.

I need a new driver because my favourity game (fortnite, the most playing game at the time) doesn't work well with 18.5.1 and less. And all newer than that have this problem.

Cheap is expensive with the time.

0 Likes
elii236
Adept I

I did manage to fix it now,

Used DDU unistaller to Unistall Nvidia, AMD and Intel GPU driver.

Then re-installed 18.9.3 and installed re-live this time (didn't install it before).

And so far I don't have the problem anymore.

Yet, this RX580 would be my last AMD product, because as you can see, they stop responding here from about page 12.

I certainly respect your decision to buy whatever you want in the future. It is your dollars and if you are unhappy with your AMD product you should spend your money elsewhere if you are uncomfortable giving them another opportunity.  I have many products from blue, red and green camps.

However based on what you said, it is because they stopped responding to your issue. To be very clear AMD does not respond here normally. These are USER to USER forums only. There is NOBODY from driver development here. There are 2 AMD moderators that are AMD employees but they rarely engage here and when they pass along information from you to the driver team it's about the same as what you should have done by filing an issue report from Radeon Settings to begin with. These forums here are for users to help other users with stuff they already figured out how to do. None of us have any ability to fix drivers and can only offer advice we have learned to work around problems or point to correct help.

So please spend you money how you want just do so based on the correct information.

0 Likes

Your conduct is in violation of forum rules. I only claimed how it worked for me and even acknowledge someone else may have a different result. I in know way diminished your right to have an opinion or criticized you for yours.  Yes this is an AMD USER FORUM full of fans and persons looking for help from other users, in case you did not realize where you were. Most persons would want to know if their issue is isolated or wide spread, it only helps to pin point the problem. Lastly you clearly don't know my posting habits as I regularly call out AMD for their problems and I currently own several green team products as well as red. I am a fan of whatever keeps me gaming effortlessly at a good price point regardless of maker. Many times over the years and more often than not that has been AMD.  As an IT professional I am here trying to help fellow users in general and has little to do with be a fan of anything other than my trade.

amdmatt​  ray_m

believe it  or not  i fix it turn in on the option of the mouse: Show pointer trails.

but just in case i always have the second monitor turned on, and if i don´t want to use it, i just turn it off in the windows option, not only in the power button of the monitor.

its a temporally solution till they fix it

0 Likes

I do that and I have the problem.

Maybe you didn't haven't because you not turn off your second screen.

0 Likes

I thought that would manage to fix it.

It didn't

This driver version sucks.

While it did fix the desktop problem, after installing that driver (18.9.3) a lot of games such as Tekken 7 and Dark Souls 3 couldn't run propertly and would have a lot of stutter problem before crashing.

I honestly want to just get rid of this card and sell it, but with this driver versions I am afraid the person I will sell this card to will think I scammed him and sold him broken card.

0 Likes

mine will have the problem wether or not the monitor is on or off all it has to be to mess up is plugged in and the new drivers that claim its fixed are lieing

0 Likes

18.9.3 the problem is not fixed, I was helped only by advice from post number 146, page 10

0 Likes
poildanus
Adept I

Just installed the new October Windows 10 update. AMD drivers automatically go back to 17.12 with the same problem as with 18.9.2..

Very bad AMD support...

0 Likes

No they dont go back to 17.12...because i also update to October update..

STOP the false rumors.

0 Likes

I have updated 3 of my home machines with Radeon Graphics and in none of the cases and all of them are still supported cards did the Windows 10 64 bit pro upgrade revert any of my drivers to earlier versions than what I had installed. I never discount the possibility it does things to someone else and am only reporting my experience.

0 Likes

thank you pokester for sharing your experience with politeness

For my part, I did a clean install of 18.9.2 as suggested by AMD before applying Windows 1809 update.

This completely delete the 17.12 version originally coming from my Windows 10 installation.

After 1809 update, in Programs And Features, i have AMD Software 18.9.2 installed but AMD Radeon Settings panel show "Radeon Software Version 17.12".

My HDCP overrides settings was lost too after update.

I suppose i am in this kind of situation because i did a clean install.

Not sure if i should do another "clean" install..

You are most welcome.

I think my first question would be how did you perform the update?

We have experienced a lot situations in recent time of Windows update forcing an AMD driver from their repository of drivers when it feels a driver is not present or in need of an upgrade. This situation has led to a lot of people learning the need to disable Windows in general from auto updating drivers through Windows update. This is an easy task with pro versions and a bit tricker for those with home versions.

As an IT person I have not trusted Windows to do my major upgrades through Windows in a long time. With the several hundred machines I manage I find that it screws it up about 1/3rd of the time in general.

If you google Windows 10 iso you will get a result that will take you to the Windows 10 media creation tool page where you can perform an in place Upgrade (click UPDATE NOW) or download media to make a DVD or USB installer for the current version of Windows.

I have found it to be a much more bullet proof method:  First stop the windows update service in Windows type services in search, then use the upgrade link from media creation page as it bi-passes Windows update and downloads a full installer which typically works without issue.

This method is much more like when you used to download full service packs instead of letting Windows update install them.

This is the link to that site  Download Windows 10

Now since you are already installed all that is only need advice for future consideration.

If you are currently still having issue. Do this:

Make sure you have the Radeon Driver you want to install downloaded.

Run DDU from Safe Mode, it is a must to do it from safe mode.

Reboot but before you do unplug from the Internet. Either pull your Ethernet or turn off your router, etc. 

Then re-install your Radeon Driver, choose custom and clean install. If clean install isn't an option then DDU fully did it's job if not then it should take care of it regardless.

Hope this helps!

0 Likes
lhorace
Adept II

I was almost glad to see what appeared to be an issue fixed for me, as early reports were stating, unfortunately the outcome was only partially true. However, I'm am better off today than previously with the 18.5.1 drivers.

My setup:

Driver: 18.9.3

GPU: XFX RX 489

Monitor 1: Dell SE2717H/HX, Connection Type: HDMI, HDCP Enabled

Monitor 2: ASUS VE228, Connection Type: DVI-D over adapter to DisplayPort, HDCP Enabled

Monitor 3: HP w1907, Connection Type: DVI-D over adapter to DispayPort, HDCP Enabled.

Powering off monitors 2 and 3 leaving monitor 1 powered on: no mouse stutter observed

Powering off monitor 3 leaving monitors 1 and 2 powered on: no mouse stutter observed

Powering off monitor 2 and leaving monitors 1 and 3 powered on: no mouse stutter observed

Powering off monitors 1 and 3 and leaving monitor 2 powered on: mouse stutter is observed

Powering off monitors 1 and 2 and leaving monitor 3 powered on: mouse stutter is observed

As these tests indicate, monitor 1 which is a DELL SE2717H/HX connecting over HDMI, link speed not indicated, assuming HDMI 2.0, is the source to observing mouse stutter with HDCP enabled. This is still a known problem with current AMD drivers.

Note I did not observe any downgrade behavior with Windows 10 1809 to 17.1.1.

0 Likes

My test was the same, until I reboot the PC some times, the problem is back.

phtorche
Journeyman III

I just updated my Radeon driver and the lag problem is gone

Detail

Version logiciel Radeon - 18.5.1

Édition logiciel Radeon - Adrenalin

Jeu de puces graphiques - Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics

Taille de la mémoire - 8192 MB

Type de mémoire - GDDR5

Horloge du processeur - 1342 MHz

Version Windows - Windows 10 (64 bit)

Mémoire système - 16 GB

Type de CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight-Core Processor

Radeon detail

Version Paramètres Radeon - 2018.0516.1451.24901

Version du package du pilote - 18.10.16-180516a-328911C-RadeonSoftwareAdrenalin

Fournisseur - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Version du pilote 2D - 8.1.1.1634

Direct3D® Version - 9.14.10.01334

OpenGL® Version - 6.14.10.13521

OpenCL™ Version - 24.20.11016.4

Version AMD Mantle - 9.1.10.0254

Version API AMD Mantle - 102400

Version du pilote audio AMD - 10.0.1.7

Vulkan™ Driver Version - 2.0.20

Vulkan™ API Version - 1.1.70

0 Likes

Are you sure?

Because I've just upgraded as well and after enabling HDCP the bug came back.

So I would say, NO, it's NOT fixed yet in 18.10.1.

Unfortunately not tested with DHCP enabled! I had the bug also without DHCP enabled, for me the only working workaround was to activate the pointer trails and not totally (sometimes very small lag).

I will test it tomorrow and keep you informed.

Cheers

0 Likes

You mean High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) and not Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP)

0 Likes

My bad, HDCP sure!

Config 1

- AOC 2460G4 in HDMI -> HDCP is on

- LG L226W in DVI -> HDCP is off(?)

Config 2

- AOC 2460G4 in Display port -> HDCP is off but why

- LG L226W in DVI -> HDCP is off(?)

But still no more lag problem on both configs!

0 Likes
1peck
Journeyman III

RX480 nitro+ 4GB here. Getting freeze every second with newest drivers.
I've got 2 monitor and 1 graphic tablet with screen.

Monitor are plugged using display port and the graphic tablet is using HDMI, I have no probleme using mono/dual screen as long as I don't plug the HDMI tablet.

So not a fix but a work around by using display port, shame my graphic table is only HDMI.

0 Likes
mm3032
Journeyman III

HI,

I have 2 display setup with new ASUS Dual RX580 4GB GPU. It was old Windows install with 2 screens. Old Dell screens with no HDMI or DisplayPort. This setup worked fine and flawless for 2 weeks of gaming. Then I decided to upgrade the old Dell 24inch DVI monitor with Lenovo P24q-10 QHD IPS 2560x1440p monitor connecting directly to DisplayPort of the RX580.

Setup was 100% working:

Win10

RX580 4G

Screen1: Dell 2407WFP from DVI-D

Screen2: Dell Dell P2210, DVI-D (from gpu hdmi with adapter)

Not working setup with mouse lags, Fixed with disabling HDCP support from Display 1 / DisplayPort

Win10

RX580 4G

Screen1: Lenovo P24q-10 DisplayPort

Screen2: Dell P2210, DVI-D (from gpu hdmi with adapter)

Before I read this thread the only way to get the system working was randomly unplugging the main monitors DisplayPort cable and rebooting the system with only second screen then plugging the main screen back. Sometimes it worked without lag. I even tried several mouses but it's total video-system freeze for few ms when it happens pretty consistent 5sec interval. Opening Youtube video and rolling mouse over it will show you video freeze of few ms along with the mouse, sound will not freeze.

So for me for now it seems to be permanent fix to disable the HDCP support from DisplayPort plugged monitor. Monitor is set to run DisplayPort 1.2

settings.JPG

settings2.JPG

settings3.JPG

settings4.JPG

I can now repeat the error with playing with the HDCP setting on/off.

Thought I'd share my experience of this; earlier today I clean-installed 18.10.2 software (from a much older version) and suffered this cursor freezing problem.

I'm using 2 Dell UltraSharp UP2716D displays driven from an XFX RX570 4GB, using DisplayPort outputs. Resolution is 1440p.

I followed mm3032's steps (post 262) to disable HDCP support on *both* displays (meaning 2 restarts) and the problem was then completely resolved. (Many thanks mm3032 I've marked your response as helpful)

I don't want this thread to die so my question to AMD is

WHAT'S the PROBLEM?

This should have been fixed long ago. It reminds of the old Elite Dangerous bug that we suffered for many months.

ASUS TUF X570 wifi, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, ASRock 6700XT Challenger, Antec Truepower new 700w. 32GB
0 Likes

Only other USERS can reply to you here. These are USER TO USER forums as explained in the links in the forum headers. NOBODY from AMD Driver Development is here. Not meaning to be smart about this, many just don't realize this. I didn't when I came here at first.  If you want to let AMD know you have to use the only avenue they have for bug reporting. The link is either in the driver download page for your product or in Radeon Settings under preferences. 

---------

That being said many users are reporting many different things to help this issue so make sure to read other related threads as well as searching on Google.

Keep filing those issue reports for every new driver they release that does not fix or acknowledge the continuing issue plaguing so many users like you.

0 Likes

pokester wrote:

Only other USERS can reply to you here.

When  you've been here as long as I have you'll know that's not exactly true. Keep it alive.

ASUS TUF X570 wifi, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, ASRock 6700XT Challenger, Antec Truepower new 700w. 32GB
0 Likes

Running 1440p displays yet you can't watch any DRMed content. This shouldn't be acceptable and I'm amazed that this issue still exists months after the problem was reported and even after AMD claims to have fixed it.

0 Likes
craigchapman
Journeyman III

A couple of months back I posted here that a driver roll-back to an 18.3 version resolved the issue for me. I've tried every driver since and had the same issue.
Today I was notified that there is a new driver 18.10.2 so I gave it a try, and, well the issue is entirely resolved! At least for me.

0 Likes
phtorche
Journeyman III

I just updated my Radeon driver with the version 18.10.2 and the lag problem is here again

But after some tests I saw that if I unplug my old monitor (LG L226W in DVI), the problem immediatly stops. And as many, if I unactivate the HDCP on this monitor the lag disappear.

pastedImage_1.png

Working config

- AOC 2460G4 in Displayport, HDCP active

- LG L226W in DVI, HDCP un-activate

Detail

Version logiciel Radeon - 18.10.2

Édition logiciel Radeon - Adrenalin

Jeu de puces graphiques - Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics

Taille de la mémoire - 8192 MB

Type de mémoire - GDDR5

Horloge du processeur - 1342 MHz

Version Windows - Windows 10 (64 bit)

Mémoire système - 16 GB

Type de CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight-Core Processor

Radeon detail

Version Radeon Settings - 2018.1019.2302.41478

Version du package du pilote - 18.40.07.01-181019a-335076E-RadeonSoftwareAdrenalin

Fournisseur - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Version du pilote 2D - 8.1.1.1634

Direct3D® Version - 9.14.10.01363

OpenGL® Version - 24.20.11000.13541

OpenCL™ Version - 25.20.14007.1000

Version AMD Mantle - 9.1.10.0282

Version API AMD Mantle - 102400

Version du pilote audio AMD - 10.0.1.7

Vulkan™ Driver Version - 2.0.55

Vulkan™ API Version - 1.1.82

0 Likes
bugzbunny
Adept III

I change my system, I have blue screen with Ryzen 5, but I haven't test with the new mother board

0 Likes
jstoezel
Journeyman III

I just created an account as I am getting the same mouse/cursor freeze when I connect an external monitor to my laptop. Previous version of the AMD driver worked fine with 3 external monitors. Latest version doesn't even work with Display Port/HDMI/DVI. I am baffled by how long this bug as been ongoing, and how little AMD seems to get involved trying to fix this.

Unbelievable. I will have to remember this issue next time I am looking to get a graphic card.

My settings:

Graphics Card Manufacturer - Powered by AMD

Graphics Chipset - Radeon (TM) Pro WX 4130 Graphics

Device ID - 67E8

Vendor ID - 1002

SubSystem ID - 17B0

SubSystem Vendor ID - 1028

Revision ID - 01

Bus Type - PCI Express 3.0

Current Bus Settings - PCI Express 3.0 x8

BIOS Version - 015.050.000.001

BIOS Part Number - BR20625.001

BIOS Date - 2017/03/02 04:58

Memory Size - 2048 MB

Memory Type - GDDR5

Memory Clock - 1500 MHz

Core Clock - 1053 MHz

Total Memory Bandwidth - 96 GByte/s

Memory Bit Rate - 6.00 Gbps

2D Driver File Path - /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/Class/{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}/0001

0 Likes

If any of you that have posted in this thread haven't already, please use Radeon Settings/preferences/report issues online.

It's totally ridiculous that this hasn't been fixed yet.

0 Likes
giorov92
Adept II

So yeah, similar problem here. My display runs on DP. I only got the problem after updating to the Windows 10 October 2018 update and either RS 18.10.1 or 18.10.2... My band-aid is I did the override on the monitor and disabled HDCP and the mouse/screen freeze is gone. Now I just can't watch blu-rays or HD Netflix, great.. I gave AMD a new feedback with the findings.

I see 18.11.1 acknowledges this issue again.

Things are looking up/sideways.

I can only see 18.Q3.1 available (same version that fails for me). Where did you find this latest version?

0 Likes

jstoezel wrote:

I can only see 18.Q3.1 available (same version that fails for me). Where did you find this latest version?

Sorry bud. I see your laptop's graphics aren't updated.

I was referring to normal desktop graphics.

0 Likes

Wow! but it's funny, "Some systems running multiple displays may experience mouse lag when at least one display is enabled but powered off."

The funny thing is I only have one display hooked up and on. I wonder if the problem is due to a ghost display, like it thinks there's another cable plugged in when there is not? sounds like the driver isn't speaking to the hardware correctly... something broke and of course HDCP is a n Intel technology so... they need to work on this together...

HDCP is do dumb too. It honestly encourages piracy. People who have the Philips HUE light system which takes the colors from the screen to make lights accompany TV and games doesn't run with HDCP content.. and that's exactly the type of content Philips Ambilight, Hue's inception product was designed to work with on true TVs. It's just ridiculous... Intel needs to step up its game and actually give a f**k about consumers.

0 Likes