cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

aovaron
Journeyman III

Re: AMD Radeon Software 18.5.1 freezes my computer every 5 seconds

By me Press the Power Button. When its off the Mouse freeze.

When its on no Freezes.

Or disconnect complete

0 Likes
okuma_10
Adept II

Yes, disconnect the cable from the port. Since even if you power it off, if it is connected to the port, the VGA still assumes you are using it and takes it into account. It's just you who do not see anything on the second monitor.

juliannb
Adept II

I apologize for the lateness of my response, but here's my update of the matter.

I have updated the drivers to 18.6.1, I decided to do a clean install and the issue hasn't been resolved yet. I paid attention to what has been said here and proceeded to use one monitor (the main one), but without disconnecting them, just selecting to project in one monitor, and this issue doesn't happen.

I decided to try the same thing with the other monitor and... not only it happens, but it happens without the need to do anything, and even the screen freezes and turns completely green for a fraction of a second.

Then I tried disconnecting the first monitor, leaving the possibly faulty second monitor alone, told the system to re-detect them, so it would go back to normal. The issue does NOT happen, scratching the possibility the issue is in the monitor.

All of this while running Process Explorer as we've been told, the GPU usage wouldn't go past 3% at any point, no matter the setup. The CPU has some random peaks, but none of them caused by the stuttering, or at least, none that I could detect while it happened.

I attach two screenshots, since I don't see any mayor difference between the other screenshots I took. In the meantime, I'll revert back to the version that works for me, 18.3.4 (beyond that, it's unusable).

2018-06-15 17_54_08-System Information.png

2018-06-15 17_53_19-System Information.png

If there's anything else you want me to try, let me know, because I don't know what else to do.

cyberjip
Adept I

Hello,

I've got the same problem as described, but with me it started with the 18.4.1 driver and now with 18.6.1 driver the problem still exists.

I also have a multi monitor setup with 4 monitors but until the 18.3.4 driver I didn't encounter any problems.

I haven't tried to only connect one monitor but i will try that later on.

But that cannot be the solution to only use one monitor because i need more than that.

I first thought it had to do with the new spring update from windows but when i put back my windows backup and i installed the driver 18.5.1 on the older version of windows the problem was the same.

I even tried a clean install with no better results.

Now I use the 18.3.4 driver and everything works fine but i hope you find a sollution before there comes a new game and i'm forced to update the driver to let it work.

I'm thinking about the new assassin's creed Odyssey, if the problem than still exists I maybe forced to buy another graphics card.

My system specs:

Asus ROG STRIX Z720H Gaming Motherboard

Intel Core i7-7700K CPU @ 4,20Ghz

MSI Radeon RX480 Graphics 8GB

32 GB DDR 4 2400 Mhz System memory

1 Samsung SSD 960 EVO 500GB

1 Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB

1 Seagate HD 3TB

2 Hitachi HD 2TB

1 LG Ultrawide 34UC79G Gaming Monitor with freesync (Connected to DP)

3 LG 24MP76 Monitors (2 connect to HDMI 1 conected to DP with cable DP-HDMI)

Logitech G502 Mouse

phatfish
Journeyman III

I have this issue as well since updating to 18.5.1. I was on 18.3.4 previously.

I have attached my DxDiag in a zip (pm'ed you the password).

So I have 3 monitors, as long as I have only one monitor enabled there is no issue. Works fine.

With multiple monitors I see the issue explained above. The whole graphics output freezes briefly every couple of seconds, obviously makes the system unusable.

When I "disconnect" my additional monitors this is done in the Display settings in Windows. I don't need to physically unplug anything.

Also it doesn't seem to matter which monitor I have enabled, if there is more than one it starts freezing.

The DxDiag should have all my system info. I will mention, I'm on Windows 10 LTSB, so I have security updates but none of the crap "features" Microsoft keeps adding to Windows 10 , like that Focus thing.

Also no GPU activity during the freezes that I can see with procmon.

I will be installing older drivers until this is resolved.

Matt_AMD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for all the reports folks, we were able to successfully reproduce the issue based on your feedback.

lhorace
Adept II

Hello,

I just like to clarify the responses made earlier in response to:

amdmatt wrote:

When folks say we turn a monitor off, do you mean press the power button or physically disconnect it from the back of the GPU?

First, before I start, I am awfully glad that this is not a hardware failure on my part and this issue has affected many other folks. Including the response above that the developer has been able to successfully reproduce it in a lab that this is a driver bug (or perhaps a Windows bug?).

Key points I believe the developers should know so that this issue can be fixed for everyone and not overlook the issue I am having. I have a dual monitor setup here and I experiencing mouse stutter accompanied by a micro system freeze when either display is powered off.

1. This issue affects users who are on multi display setup with their GPU's

2. This issue is present when all monitors are connected to the GPU and either display is turned off by pressing the power button on the display itself.

3. The issue is not present when only one display is connected to the GPU.

However I'd like to point out differences between users on this thread. One monitor is a DELL VE228 connected via HDMI and the second monitor is a ASUS SE2717H/HX connected via DVI to DisplayPort adapter (Unknown). The problem is persistent on the DELL while it disappears on the ASUS display after a small period of time on 18.6.1 driver with no workarounds implemented.

Thank you.

Hardwood
Paragon

Ihorace.

Same thing here.  See When extended screen is off mouse/graphics stutter.

I was just trying 18.6.1 this morning and issue is still present.

Back to 17.12.1

ASUS TUF X570 wifi, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, ASUS ROG STRIX RX580 8G Gaming, Antec Truepower new 700w. 16GB
0 Likes
victorbcn
Journeyman III

I have the same problem and it is very annoying! Since I updated the drivers to version 18.6.1 mouse lags and also, every x minutes, screen freezes and crash for one second! Please solve this bug! Btw can anybody tell me how to reverse the drivers to a previous working one?. Thanks.

0 Likes
lhorace
Adept II

Hardwood wrote:

Ihorace.

Same thing here. See When extended screen is off mouse/graphics stutter.

I was just trying 18.6.1 this morning and issue is still present.

Back to 17.12.1

Yeah, the issue was introduced some where in the 18 series of drivers. For a minute there, I thought the problem was just with my hardware. For now, downgrade to 17.12.1, enable mouse trail (which doesn't completely erase the problem), or bare with it till it's fixed Which forces me to leave a display on needlessly or reboot to Linux.