Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

juliannb
Adept II

AMD Radeon Software 18.5.1 freezes my computer every 5 seconds

Hello, everybody!

I'm having issues with the newest version of the AMD Radeon Software, which is currently 18.5.1. I decided to reinstall the OS from scratch because of some issues with the computer itself and for some cleanning up, then I decided to install the most recent drivers of my devices (because I don't trust Windows 10's drivers update). The moment I install the AMD Radeon Software, my computer freezes for 1 second every 5 seconds I move the mouse, it's incredibly annoying and I can't figure out why. I restarted multiple times, but the issue is still there, so I decided to uninstall it. Once I restart, it works just fine, no stuttering nor freezing, even Windows 10 "updated drivers" work without any issues. But then again, whenever I play a game, it recommends me to update the GPU drivers.

To give you an idea, here's a gif'd video I recorded with my phone on a pitch-black picture and the cursor, drawing small circles and capturing every single stutter:

ezgif-1-c4f5a71d33.gif

Despite happening with the cursor itself, it actually freezes my entire computer. I played a video and the moment I move the mouse, EVERYTHING gets stuck for a second and so on. I've checked my PC performance and there's no process consuming the entirety of the CPU, RAM nor GPU, and it happens right after I install AMD Radeon Software 18.5.1. I haven't tried with a previous version, but if there's anything I can change on the settings to fix this, please, let me know, this issue is very annoying.

My PC specs are as follows:

- CPU: Intel i5 7600K 3.80GHz;

- GPU: ASUS Radeon Rx 580 8GB;

- Motherboard: Gigabyte H270-Gaming 3;

- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz;

- Storage: Corsair MP500 M.2 240GB + WD 3TB 7200RPM.

If I'm missing anything, please, let me know and I try to provide what you need as soon as I can.

Thank you very much in advance!

389 Replies
rushrvt
Adept II

Re: AMD Radeon Software 18.5.1 freezes my computer every 5 seconds

i got same issue! i wish to know if you solve that,

Mobo: asus strix x299 e gaming // 16gb ram Gskill // I7 7820x // Powersupply xfx 1250w // 2 vga cards rx 580 asus strix 8gb // Os windows 10

driver iam using without issues > win10-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-edition-18.2.1-feb7 > but still in crossfire i see low fps on battlefield1 like 50 fps all time and top fps 100, very unstable it at dx11 with dx12 is umplayable! :S

when i tryed the 2 last version of ati driver > win10-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-edition-18.4.1-apr26 and > win10-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-edition-18.5.1-may23 ..

the windows just got some freezes on screen.. i dunno what is wrong or what i have to do,i just got to rollback to old driver to keep system normaly

image (1).jpg

0 Kudos
locodicegr
Miniboss

Did u clean install the drivers?

Windows 10 updated?

0 Kudos
rushrvt
Adept II

ya windows 10 full updated, and fresh clean driverrs!!

0 Kudos
gastovsky
Adept I

I had same issue also with 18.4.1. I tried also clean install.
ver. 18.3.4 is without problem

I5 3570k @ 4.1GHz

Sapphire Pure Platinum Z77

Kingston 2x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz

Sapphire RX580 8GB 1411MHz

ADATA XPG SX900 128GB

Windows 10 EDU 64bit with April 2018 update (10.0.17134.48)

EDIT: Yesterday i tried to install ver. 18.5.2 and it is working good for me. I chose custom installation (not clean). I had one hang of mouse right after installation so i thought that problem is still there, but after that i have no more hangs and everything is working fine.

0 Kudos
juliannb
Adept II

Yes, as I said before, I had to reinstall Windows 10 to fix some issues and for clean-up, and even reinstalled twice because of this issue, assuming something went malfuctioning with the setup.

And yes, I got Windows 10 updates downloaded, including the GPU drivers that came with it, but I don't trust it at all, because the moment I ran Tom Clamcy's Rainbow Six: Siege, a notification popped up saying that the drivers aren't updated.

@rushrvt suggested I try out the ver. 18.3.4, and it works no problem, but this is a problem that needs a proper fix.

0 Kudos
rushrvt
Adept II

Well Where ATI Coders to give US FEEDBACK! OMG!!

0 Kudos
imaysky
Adept II

Exactly the same problem.

18.4.1-18.6.1 - Freezing when Crossfire Disable. Temperature increase. (Win10 April Update)

After so much time after 18.4.1, I decided that with the release of new drivers this will all be fixed. But the miracle did not happen. Fresh installation of Windows 10 1803. Disconnection of the Internet and removal of drivers through the DDU. Installation 18.5.1. And what do we see? The system still freezes. In comparison with 18.4.1, after disabling the crossfire, permanent freezing of the mouse cursor takes place. Mining now works stably but the temperature is higher than at 1709 from 18.3.4. But these freezes during any operations in the desktop environment forced again to return to 1709 and 18.3.4. And most importantly, there is no such problem in the description of known problems. By the way, I sent the report, although I doubt that this will affect anything.

CPU: Intel i5 750

GPU: MSI 2x MSI RX 470 Gaming X 4Gb

Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D-E

RAM: 2x4Gb Goodram

Storage: Crucial M4 64GB + WD 1TB Black.

imaysky
Adept II

The author of the topic, in vain you noted the correct answer, now AMD will think that the problem is solved and will not consider this issue.

juliannb
Adept II

You got a point there, I unmarked it as correct answer. Thank you!