cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

superop535
Journeyman III

AMD Radeon settings crashes, I can't find correct drivers and autodetect gives errors.

Hello, I were stupid enough to reinstall AMD radeon settings serveral times ( Installation doesn't ask me if I want ReLive  ) and now it won't start.. I installed all updates ( including fall creators update) and tried to clean install but it just won't work.. In the R7 driver download page I cannot find the drivers I need and autodetect gives me this error

pastedImage_0.png

(yes I click continue anyways because I couldn't find my device in that list)

Details from speccy:

pastedImage_11.pngpastedImage_12.png

Details from reliability monitor:

pastedImage_13.png

I used these details for another question: (before AMD radoen settings stopped working)

Radeon Software Version - 17.11.1

Radeon Software Edition - Crimson ReLive

Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon R7 200 Series

Memory Size - 2048 MB

Memory Type - DDR3

Core Clock - 780 MHz

Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)

System Memory - 8 GB

CPU Type - AMD A6-6400K APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics

Radeon Settings Version - 2017.1102.1456.25052

Driver Packaging Version - 17.40.1031-171102a-320046C-CrimsonReLive

Provider - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

2D Driver Version - 8.1.1.1624

Direct3D® Version - 9.14.10.01304

OpenGL® Version - 6.14.10.13497

OpenCL™ Version - 23.20.788.0

AMD Mantle Version - 9.1.10.0228

AMD Mantle API Version - 102400

AMD Audio Driver Version - 10.0.1.4

Vulkan™ Driver Version - 1.7.0

Vulkan™ API Version - 1.0.54

Graphics Card Manufacturer - Powered by AMD

Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon R7 200 Series

Device ID - 6611

Vendor ID - 1002

SubSystem ID - 90D3

SubSystem Vendor ID - 1B0A

Revision ID - 00

Bus Type - PCI Express 3.0

Current Bus Settings - PCI Express 2.0 x8

BIOS Version - 015.041.000.000

BIOS Part Number - 113-AD61400-103

BIOS Date - 2013/11/19 21:20

Memory Size - 2048 MB

Memory Type - DDR3

Memory Clock - 900 MHz

Core Clock - 780 MHz

Total Memory Bandwidth - 28 GByte/s

Memory Bit Rate - 1.80 Gbps

2D Driver File Path - /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/Class/{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}/0001

0 Likes
18 Replies
elstaci
MVP

Re: AMD Radeon settings crashes, I can't find correct drivers and autodetect gives errors.

You have a problem. Your APU with HD8470d is considered to be Legacy (Old - NonSupported) . Here is the last AMD supported driver for your APU with HD8470d: Legacy .

But your R7-240 still is supported by AMD. Here is the latest Supported driver for the AMD GPU: Desktop

I am presuming you have a Desktop and not a Laptop.

You seemed to be in the same situation as some laptops that have a legacy and Non legacy (GCN) GPU's on the same motherboard.

This link: MSI GX-60-3CC Destroyer and his graphic drivers deals with the same problem you have except it is on a laptop. The fix mentioned is from another thread concerning a computer using a legacy (Non-GCN) and GCN GPU card on same system. Don't know if this is applicable for your computer or not. But you can decide for yourself.

superop535
Journeyman III

Re: AMD Radeon settings crashes, I can't find correct drivers and autodetect gives errors.

I'm so sad.. it worked perfectly before I did the reinstallations.. Any ideas why? I remember that I had the latest version and there were no problems

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

Have you tried to restore you computer before doing the changes?

I normally do a System Image backup to a different hard drive. That way if something goes wrong, I just reinstall the backup image which will restore my computer back exactly the way it was when I did the System Image backup. Restoring, I found out, is not always 100% accurate. It may do a partial restoral. Leaving your computer with a possibly corrupted Windows installation. But if you don't have a System Image backup, a restoral from a restore point earlier is your best bet.

Try using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) in safe mode and uninstall all your AMD driver set. Reboot and try installing first the Legacy driver from the above link. Install the full set. Reboot again and try installing the Latest AMD driver for the R7 and see if it installs.

Make sure your Windows OS is fully updated via Windows Update before installing the AMD drivers. Otherwise, try to follow the fix for the same issue on a laptop and see if that works.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

You upgraded to Windows 10.

Windows 10 automatically uninstall your old Graphics Driver and tries to install the latest Driver for your Laptop Discrete GCN based GPU unless you prevent it.

Windows 10 obviously does not understand that anyone would be silly enough to produce a laptop which mixes two different GPU architectures (GCN and Non GCN) and then drop support for the non GCN architecture leaving the owner for the laptop up the creek without a paddle w.r.t. getting any new drivers for their GCN based discrete GPU.

If you tell me you just upgraded your laptop from Windows 8.1 64bit to Windows 10 64bit because you cannot get the latest GCN Drivers for that OS I feel doubly sorry for you.

If you need old AMD catalyst Drivers I may have some of those somewhere,  they have been taken off AMD Site completely since start of November 2017.
Otherwise your best bet is to use the Crimson Beta Legacy Driver.

Good luck with fixing your laptop.

Cheers.

0 Likes
superop535
Journeyman III

1. This isn't a laptop

2. I updated ages ago to Windows 10 and it still worked perfectly

0 Likes
superop535
Journeyman III

I did what you said but when I did the windows updates my PC went blackscreen and froze..

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

OK ... sorry I  was confused  --- I had been responding to someone with a mobile APU with integrated AMD non GCN GPU and a discrete AMD GPU Chip on the laptop as well. I did look at your CPU, "iGPU" and GPU Specs though. The same principle applies.

Here are your CPU Specs.
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-A6-Series%20A6-6400K.html

Here are the iGPU Specs.
AMD Radeon HD 8470D - NotebookCheck.net Tech

Here is some information on your R7-240 GPU:
AMD Radeon Rx 200 series - Wikipedia

The "iGPU" on the AMD CPU is non GCN.
The Graphics card is GCN based architecture.
So the latest AMD driver will not want to install if they are both active.

Can I ask if you modified the BIOS on your motherboard or reset it?
Can you look in the motherboard BIOS Settings and see if there is an option to disable the built in HD8470D on the AMD CPU? - Don't change it yet if there is.
Please tell me what the Graphics Settings are set to on the motherboard.

I am assuming you are running as or logged in as administrator.

First of all try uninstalling the AMD Driver completely using Control Panel -> Progtrams -> Uninstall.

Once that step completes try the following.

Open Control Panel and go to the following settings and applyu them (search for advanced in control panel).

pastedImage_4.png

Make sure you Save Changes.

Disconnect completely from the internet / and disable wifi completely.

Then reboot.

Then use Motherboard display output and boot into Windows Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Device Manager

Look at Display Adapters.

Here is my screenshot.

pastedImage_3.png

Can you post a screenshot of what you see?
Thanks.

superop535
Journeyman III

Here, the display output thing automatically changed when i uninstalled amd stuff.

pastedImage_1.png

I got American Megatrends BIOS vercion 2.15.1234 and I failed finding the stuff you sent

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

OK, so could you right click on those AMD Radeon HD 8740D and R7 240 symbols and see what it says please.
Thanks.

0 Likes