Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

InStrike
Journeyman III

AMD Radeon RX 550X Overheating and Pressing Random Buttons on ThinkPad E590

Hello!

I have a real problem with my dedicated GPU. Whenever I play a game like Battlefield 3 for example, my GPU overheats massively and starts throttling. I was able to kind of manage this by using ThrottleStop, FPS Limits and Power Options. However, what still happens all the time is that at some point while playing the game minimizes and my laptop starts moving the mouse around and pressing random buttons. It is locking the CTRL key and clicking all the time. However, I cannot just stop this by pressing all the usual buttons like CTRL, ALT or any other key. The only way I can stop this is by disabling the AMD GPU in the device manager. Then it stops. It also doesn't happen at all if this GPU is disabled.

I have the latest drivers from the AMD homepage. Before that, I have also tried to download the driver from the official Lenovo page for this particular laptop. Still had the same problem. I understand the throttling and I understand the overheating. But why on earth is the GPU pressing and locking random buttons and moving my mouse around? Sometimes this even happens at startup when the GPU is enabled.

I want to mention that besides that the GPU seems to work fine. I can play BF3 on Ultra (until it gets too hot and throttles) without any problems. And I also want to mention that I re-installed the OS already once.

Here are my hardware specifications:

ThinkPad E590

CPU: Intel Core i7-8565U @1.80GHz

On-Board GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 620 (No problems with this at all)

Dedicated GPU: AMD Radeon RX 550X

RAM: 16GB

Hard Drive: 512 GB SSD

I hope someone can help!

0 Likes
0 Replies