Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

haxxorz
Journeyman III

AMD Radeon HD 7970M - drastic random fps drop

Hi,

I have an MSI GT 780DX - it had originally an nvidia gpu GeForce GTX 570M. It broke and i had to get a new one. Long story short i went with AMD radeon HD 7970M.

I was told it may work or it may be faulty it was 50/50 chance. But it works and works fine except for the drastic drop of fps.

my pc:

Proc - IntelCore i7-2630 QM 2.00GHz

GPU - AMD Radeon HD 7970M

RAM - 16 GB

Win 7 64-bit

(if any1 needs any more info just lemme know what and I'll post it)

I have AMD Gaming Evolved and it updates drivers fine. It even optimised all my games to high/ultra even though I thought they should be lower.

I checked with old and new drivers - always same problem.

Problem: Whenever I play (any game basically from CS:GO to Division) games set graphics pretty high and games run smoothly. And then out of nowhere fps drops from 50-60 to 10-15 for 2-3 sec and go back up. If it happened when there is a lot of objects on the screen but no it's totally random. I can walk looking straight down so all i can see if my characters feet and boom fps drop. It's not regular like every 30 sec, happens randomly and in all games. AND whats weird even if graphics in new games are set to lowest.

Let's say i set graphics to high/ultra and i get 40 fps, drops to 10-15.  When i set to lowest possible i get 60+fps (depending on a game but its high) also drops to 10-20.

Today i used amd clean uninstall utility and deleted all folders and installed drivers from 0. Same thing happens.

What is shocking is that even though my previous gpu was older/worse/slower i never had those fps drops before.

Can anyone suggest any solution. I'll try anything.

Thanks in advance for any help

0 Kudos
9 Replies
kingfish
MVP

Re: AMD Radeon HD 7970M - drastic random fps drop

First, enable Overdrive in the CCC. Set the Power Limit to the maximum + value (either +20 or +50 depending on the card). Don't change the clocks...just the Power Limit.

AMD graphics performance

0 Kudos
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

What drivers are you using?

0 Kudos
haxxorz
Journeyman III

Hi thanks for replying,

In my CCC I didn't have the AMD OverDrive under Performance only Frame rate. And after updating the AMD Catalyst to 15.7.1 i get something like this (also answers next question about drivers.

software.jpg

overview.jpg

hardware.jpg

Btw to get the OverDrive option do i need a different download and version or something completely different ?

* I just installed AMD OverDrive and i get this message

amd.jpg

0 Kudos
haxxorz
Journeyman III

Ok, so I've got AMD gaming evolved which comes with drivers Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.3.1 also Radeon Settings 16.3.1. I got AMD OverDrive which tells me i can't overdrive my gpu. But i can not find anywhere AMD ccc download link.. everything from amd website installs whole package and i just cant get ccc with overdrive option under performance.

So please anyone .. be so kind and help me .. just help me download CCC i know its a stupid request by for the life of me i can;t find it.

When i right click on the screen i get AMD radeon settings instead of amd ccc at the top.

0 Kudos
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

You can download Catalyst 15.11.1 Beta which was the last Catalyst driver with the original CCC.

haxxorz
Journeyman III

Ok downloaded, installed. Got CCC under right click on screen. But still no OverDrive under Performance only FrameRate

amd.jpg

this is what I get

0 Kudos
asimov
Journeyman III

THANK YOU amdmatt

i have an alienware mx17 R4 with a radeon 7970m and the last driver, on windows 10 64 bits and dark souls 3 is very slow (4 FPS) even with the low parameter in graphic option in game.

i have uninstall the last amd driver, i have download and install the Catalyst 15.11.1 Beta and i can play now with the medium parameter at 1600x900, the game is fast...

thankkkkks

amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Overdrive is not available as you need an AMD CPU. In pre Crimson drivers, overdrive is not available on all mobility graphics cards.

0 Kudos
noooname
Journeyman III

hey man ive done the same thing to my laptop and was also wondering this turns out you need to download throttlestop and deactivate BD PROCHOT as this stops your cpu thottling when your gpu gets to hot

hope this helps and you can enjoy super smooth games

0 Kudos