cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

marko13
Adept II

AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series 6 monitors recently got scrambled which mon was in what position and 1 not recognized, worked for years till recent windows update

System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 10/21/2019, 16:02:01
Machine name: XPS-8500
Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_ltsb.190831-0600)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: XPS 8500
BIOS: A09
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16344MB RAM
Page File: 4002MB used, 16630MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.03.9600.17415 64bit Unicode

Display Devices
---------------
Card name: AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x683F)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Type: Full Device
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_683F&SUBSYS_77501545&REV_00
Display Memory: 9958 MB
Dedicated Memory: 2022 MB
Shared Memory: 7936 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: ACER S271HL
Monitor Model: S271HL
Monitor Id: ACR02CA
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
Output Type: Displayport External
Driver Name: aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll
Driver File Version: 8.17.0010.1299 (English)

0 Likes
1 Solution

LoL, sometimes the most basic troubleshooting procedure is what fixes a problem.

Anyways, happy you got you 6 monitors working on that old GPU card again.

Might as well mark your last reply (replacing bad cable) as "Correct" so other Users will know what fixed your problem.

Take care.

View solution in original post

19 Replies

First, AMD doesn't support Windows 8/8.1 any more with driver updates.

Second: you have a very old BIOS installed A09. The last Urgent BIOS version is A14: Support for XPS 8500 | Drivers & Downloads | Dell US 

Third: According to your Hardware ID: 1002 - 683F you have a HD 7750 GPU card.

This is the last AMD Driver for your GPU card with Windows 8.1 x64: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/amd-radeon-hd-7000-series/amd-radeon-hd-7750 

Yet with Windows 10 it has the latest AMD Driver from 10/2019.

Fourth: I would update the BIOS and AMD Driver and see if that fixes your problem. Also Windows must be fully updated via Windows Update for the driver to work correctly.

Fifth: If you continue to have problems after updating BIOS and AMD Driver, see if you can uninstall the Windows Update that you believe started your issue. You can use Microsoft Hide Windows update app to prevent it from installing again.

Plus need to know how you have all 6 monitors connected and how they are connected to achieve 6 monitor output. Also what Multi-Monitor program are you using, for instance Eyefinity?

Thanks elstaci,

I updated bios to A14.

Updating amd driver now

attaching pic of the 6 monitor plugin to the video card

how would I find what multi monitor program it is? assume it's whatever amd uses...don't recall if the card came with an install disk

I do remember seeing the eyefinity name but not sure how to confirm

driver is now installed, I skipped the re-live part as I think I recall that has to do with video games (which I don't use.)

IMG_20191024_145425.jpg

0 Likes

Ok, I got the amd driver updated and finally detect and identify monitors works and finally got the desktop back on the correct monitor.

I'm using the Amd Radeon settings to arrange displays so I guess i'm not using eyefinity it looked like that would just join all displays into one?IMG_20191024_153437.jpg

0 Likes

It didn't want to load that last image, sorry, but you get the ideaIMG_20191024_153428.jpg

this weird, it's not showing complete images here, don't know why

0 Likes

my problem remains that it's not "seeing" monitor 6

any way to trouble shoot that?

unplug cable 6 from card? unplug cable 6 from monitor?

shut down, unplug, restart, shutdown, replug, restart?

0 Likes

In Radeon Settings you should see Eyefinity if you don't see it, See this answer I gave to another User here at AMD Forums concerning Eyefinity not showing up:

Here is AMD EYEFINITY GUIDE for you to hook up multi-Monitors using Eyefinity: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-014 

This is probably the best source of how to use AMD Eyefinity since you have a Dell computer. From DELL Support on how to use Eyefinity:How to Configure Multiple Monitors Using an AMD Eyefinity Graphics Adapter | Dell US 

From what I read, the HD 7750 maximum Supported Monitors is 3. Yet I see 6 Video Outputs on your card?

Normally you need to use DisplayPort connected to a MST to get 3 or more monitors connected to one Video Output using Eyefinty.

Here is DELL Support showing how to connect several monitors using a MST hardware connected to the DisplayPort of your GPU Card if it has one: How to Daisy Chain Multiple Monitors Using DisplayPort Multi-Stream Transport (MST) | Dell US 

But that depends on the GPU card you have installed. Some GPU cards can't support more then 3 monitors at one time due to the limitations of the GPU Card itself.

So I don't know how you have 6 outputs on your GPU card. If so, you need to post how all your 6 monitors are connected.

Many of the latest GPU cards including Professional GPU cards do have 3 - 6 video outputs or can support up to 6 monitors at one time.

I would suggest you open a Dell Support ticket and ask them if your Dell computer can support 6 monitors or not at the same time. Contact Us | Dell US 

Also open a AMD SERVICE REQUEST (AMD SUPPORT)  from here and they may indicate if your GPU card can support 6 monitors or not from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

Sorry but this is as far as I can help you with this. Someone else will need to assist you who is knowledgeable about hooking up 6 monitors to one GPU card.

Good Luck!

0 Likes

Thanks elstaci,

My amd radeon settings did have the eyefinity tab, I just don't know what value that is.

I've been running the same 6 monitors for several years, as you see the card has 6 outputs so yeah it works or did until a few days ago.

thanks very much for your help, at least I got the drivers updated thanks to you!

I tried unplugging and replugging the monitor cord but didn't help

When I push the power button on monitor the button turns green and screen says 'auto detect' then 'entering power save' and button turns yellow (instead of green) in case that gives anyone else a hint where to look

0 Likes

By any chance do you get Video outputs from all 6 ports?  Could it be a bad cable?

I would take one cable and monitor and connect it to all 6 ports to make sure all are working. In case one of the ports went bad.

Have you tried to uninstall the last Windows Update after your issue started via Control Panel - Programs & Features?

Might be something as basic as that if you haven't check yet.

Otherwise open a Dell Support ticket and see what they recommend and also a AMD Support ticket. No harm in asking.

By the way, do you happen to know the Manufacturer of your HD 7750?  Surprised that card has 6 separate video outputs.

0 Likes

IMG_20191025_163150.jpg                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

By coincidence, My previous AMD GPU card was a VisionTek HD7850 with 4 outputs. Excellent card but upgraded to a more modern GPU card about a year and half ago.

VisionTek has a excellent Technical Support service. Two of my VisionTek Fan fins broke on the Shroud. VisionTek had a limited Life Time Warranty on the GPU card. But because the GPU card was installed so closely to another PCIe card they said the Warranty was voided. But regardless, VisionTek Support sent me a free Shroud that included a new fan and heatsink with instructions on how to replace it as a compliment for being a VisionTek customer without Warranty. I had inquired several weeks before about purchasing a 3rd party GPU fan but VisionTek couldn't tell me exactly what size that particular model fan would be compatible. So I remembered the Limited Lifetime Warranty but even though they said it was voided they still sent me the free new shroud instead.

I now have it as a emergency backup in case my present GPU card becomes defective.

Anyways, Maybe someone else is able to assist you with some other tips on how to fix your problem.

Take care and good luck!

0 Likes

would i need to turn computer off before swapping monitor cord?

0 Likes

I don't believe so. I have disconnected and reconnected my PC Monitor while the computer was still powered up.

As a precaution you can always make sure the monitor is turned off before connecting it. Then turn it on. 

0 Likes

Thanks for that prompt reply!

0 Likes

I'll be darned, seems to be the cable, swapping outlets on card, monitors, cords points to this...the best of all possibilities...but wonder why it went out all of a sudden?

so now to figure out if it's the dvi section of cord or the dvi to mini port adapter

new dvi cable and i'm back to 6 monitors yay

weird that it would go out all of a sudden

and no doubt pure coincidence that it was after a windows update

thru the years i've just got used to win updates breaking things lol

LoL, sometimes the most basic troubleshooting procedure is what fixes a problem.

Anyways, happy you got you 6 monitors working on that old GPU card again.

Might as well mark your last reply (replacing bad cable) as "Correct" so other Users will know what fixed your problem.

Take care.

I'll mark it correct but it was pretty funny that it only worked for a day after changing the dvi cable.

now i have to find another one of those dvi/mini hdmi adapters and try that

0 Likes

I suggest you purchase an "Active" DVI-HDMI adapter for best compatibility. If that doesn't fix it permanently, Then "UNMARK CORRECT" until you finally find out the problem. 

0 Likes