Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

drgouh
Adept I

AMD Radeon HD 7650M and switchable graphics

Hello everybody,

I know this is a bit of a recuring topic but I'm out of things to do...

My system:

HP Probook 4740s with Windows 10 64bit

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7650M

CPU: Intel Core i5-2450M CPU 2,5GHz

Chipset: Intel HD Graphics 3000

Display: Generic PnP Monitor on Intel HD Graphics 3000

Motherboard: HP 1846 (U3E1)

BIOS: HP 68IRR Ver. F.68

RAM: 6Gb

I currently have installed AMD Catalyst Control Center Version 2015.0215.2138.37093

And Intel HD Graphics Graphics's driver version 9.17.10.4459

(I can provide other info if needed).

I can't seem to configure switchable graphics on my laptop.

I've tried many things.

I installed all the drivers corresponding to my laptop from the HP website.

I tried the lastest drivers for my GPU on the AMD website. (Crimson and CCC)

I even tried the leshcat drivers when the site was still up.

Nothing worked so far. My computer always use the Intel chipset.

I always did clean installation of the driver using AMD cleanup utility and/or DDU.

Is there a solution to this ?

Should I go back to Windows 7 ?

Hope I've provided enough information. Tell me if more is needed.

0 Likes
11 Replies

The problem is the Intel graphics. It does not meet the minimum requirements from Microsoft and is not supported under Win 10.

https://community.amd.com/thread/190079 

Thanks a lot for taking the time to help me. 

So the only solution is to go back to Windows 7 ? 

0 Likes

If the laptop manufacturer allows it, you can disable the integrated graphics and use the 7650 as the primary graphics. This will cripple your battery, but as long as you use it plugged in to electricity it doesn't matter. Here is a old post from HP (all laptops are the same):

HP Notebook PCs - OpenGL Applications Cannot Use Discrete GPU with Intel + AMD Switchable Graphics |... 

Thanks again. I have an issue though, I can't access my BIOS because it is locked with a password. My computer is actually a second-hand computer, my uncle offered it to me and I have absolutely no way to contact the previous owner. I've aleready tried to contact the HP Support about that but tey told me the only way to get through that password would be to replace the motherboard. I've also tried the "shotgun" solution on a MyDigitalLife topic but it wasn't supporting my computer I think... I wonder if there is a way to bruteforce that password. 

If there is no way for me to access my BIOS at all, would going back to W7 be my only solution ?

0 Likes

Sorry about bothering you again, just trying to update the thread in order to get an answer.

"

I can't access my BIOS because it is locked with a password. My computer is actually a second-hand computer, my uncle offered it to me and I have absolutely no way to contact the previous owner. I've aleready tried to contact the HP Support about that but tey told me the only way to get through that password would be to replace the motherboard. I've also tried the "shotgun" solution on a MyDigitalLife topic but it wasn't supporting my computer I think... I wonder if there is a way to bruteforce that password. 

If there is no way for me to access my BIOS at all, would going back to W7 be my only solution ?

"

0 Likes

I can't access this page. Can you please share a bit from the thread or just take a screenshot and mail me. I have the same problem and cannot use my AMD Radeon HD 7650M. Email :- joelalbertk1@gmail.com

0 Likes

Thanks a lot for that, I'll be waiting a bit, looks a bit dangerous for now.

0 Likes

yeah, I know..

If he was supply the code, at least we were able to review it..

0 Likes

Well I tried it because I was a bit desperate, unfortunately my AMD GPU is not supported... (I should have seen that before.) Hope there will be other projects like that in the future.

0 Likes

I know this thread is a year old, but thought I would share this with you. I joined this forum just to reply to this thread. 

This laptop might not work well under Windows 10, but it works exceptionally well under Linux as both the Intel iGPU and the dedicated AMD HD 7650M are full supported directly in the Linux kernel without any need for additional drivers. Although I would recommend updating the BIOS to the latest 2019 release, it isn't absolutely necessary. 

This is literally the laptop I use for testing Linux distributions (distributions are like flavors or collections of certain programs to make a complete operating system that is customized somewhat for what the distro maker's ideals are), but the point is I use it because it is so compatible with any version or flavor of Linux, it just works cleanly and easily right out of the box. The only issue you might run into is with the wifi module if it is not Intel based it might take a few extra steps to get it working, or for about $25 you can upgrade it to a WiFi 6 Intel 200AX module which will increase the WiFi speeds dramatically (again, this may require the latest BIOS update). 

I would recommend looking into Linux Mint or PopOS! as they have everything you would need to get this working out of the box, and are very easy on new users. 

0 Likes