cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

lackadaisy
Newcomer

AMD Radeon™ HD 6750M - has it any newer driver with OpenCL 1.2 support?

Hello to all community! I have a laptop with two built-in GPUs installed - one is AMD Radeon™ HD 6620G and another (It seems the main one) is AMD Radeon™ HD 6750M. It suports OpenCL 1.1 but some newer games and 3D software require OpenCl 1.2 and so drivers for this GPU is outdated long ago. I haven't updated my drivers from 2009, so I want to know - is there any newer driver with OpenCl 1.2 support to enable OpenCl 1.2 for this GPU? I found a lot of drivers for https://www.amd.com/ru/support/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/amd-radeon-hd-6000-series/amd-radeon-hd-6750  but none for 6750M exactly. Or this GPU is rather old by itself for newer OpenCL versions?

0 Likes
7 Replies
crazysteve88
Journeyman III

I'm not sure which APU you have but the last driver to support 6620G (or even 6750M) was 15.7.1. The drivers on that page you found will work just fine for your computer. Here's a link to another page for one of the APU's A8-3550MX with Radeon™ HD 6620G Drivers & Support | AMD

Try updating to the crimson beta and see if that helps.

0 Likes

Thank you for the link, crazysteve88. Yes, you're right, I have exactly the same APU - A8-3550MX with Radeon™ HD with Radeon (TM) Graphics 6620G  1,80 Ghz with 6 Gb of RAM

Both of my GPUs have driver version 8.832.0.0  from 01.04.2011 and it's obviously obsolete stuff.

I am not sure which version of Catalyst Software Suite I have on my Windows 7 64-bit and what is the difference between Catalyst Software Suite (15.7.1 WHQL) and Crimson Edition Beta for Windows7 x64. What is better for older laptops of early 2010-s? And how to update GPU drivers on HP Pavilion laptops (HP Pavilion DV6)? I've read that all AMD drivers must be in C:/AMD or similar folder and they must be deleted before installing of newer drivers. But I have not such folder on my PC, all installed driver files are found in Windows\system32, SysWOW64 folders. Should I just run those downloaded exe. files and drivers will be updated automatically or I should update them via the Device Manager from my Control Panel . How to update AMD Catalyst for HP notebooks and how to return to previous drivers if updating wiill cause any problems?

What about OpenCL, I found some info that both of my GPUs and the API can support DirectX 11,1, OpenGL 4.4 and Open CL1.2. Recently I found the nice application named GPU-Z.2.4.0 to analyze the possilbilities of GPUs real-time and it shows that both my GPUs support only OpenCl 1.1 AMD-APP-SDK-v2.4-rc1 (595.5). I don't know what it means but can it be updated to Open Cl 1.2 via updating GPU drivers or it requires newer GPU hardware?

0 Likes

One more important question about drivers and versions. Answer, please, if you can!  I've found that the latest driver for my GPUs which has built-in OpenCL support is 15.7.1 WHQL , because Crimson Beta has not built-in Open CL dlls and they should be installed separately. But I have a laptop from HP (Pavilion dv6-6b04er) and learned recently that none of your drivers for AMD Radeon™ HD 6620G and AMD Radeon™ HD 6750M could be installed for my notebook, because HP uses only specific driver builds with Dual (switchable) Graphics support. If I install any other driver without Dual Graphics profiles, my OS will not see one of GPUs or will not switch them during the work. I leads to overheating and system errors.All folk recommends to use just HP video driver builds for their laptops, but they are greatly outdated - for my dv6-6b04er the latest driver is AMD High-Definition (HD) driver with version number 8.900.7.1000 from 18 November 2011. How can I know - does it include updated OpenCL 1.2 or not? I asked this question at HP support forum, but got no answer so far. Also I got some advice that possible suitable drivers with switchable dual graphics are WHQL certified driver 15.201.2901.1004 from Microsoft Windows Update downloads (http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=15.201.2901.1004) , and Catalyst 12.5 Beta build. Microsoft drivers are purposed for Win 10 and latest GPUs (FirePro) - do they have any support for AMD 6000 HD series with dual graphic profiles or not? As far as I could understand, Catalyst 12.5 support older 6000 HD Gpus, but does it have OpenCL 1.2 and Dual Graphics included? Which build I am better to install, regarding my laptop model and my APU with GPUs?

And another silly question - if my GPUs support OpenCl 1.1 already, is there a way to update it to Open CL 1.2 by installing new OpenCL DLLs (or other files) separately? I have read that some users who installed Crimson Beta 16 and found no OpenCL at all, couls install it via separate installer packages, after updating the main drivers to Crimson Beta. It was their workaround for Windows XP and older GPUs than mine. Maybe I can do the same - then where to look for OpenCL 1.2 installers?

Thank you in advance for help!

0 Likes

"because HP uses only specific driver builds with Dual (switchable) Graphics support" correct...as I said here > Laptop graphics update...How to You install one driver. 

For laptops with AMD processors/APU's:

You do not update the discrete graphics card...you update the APU. This updated driver serves both the integrated and discrete graphics. It is the only driver you install.

You haven't been clear about your laptop performance. What is your processor? Is it a APU? Did you read this at all? Laptop graphics update...How to

So the last WHQL driver is 15.7.1 and I don't know or have heard anything regarding the issues you are having.

** Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 must be fully updated before attempting to install any AMD driver. All 'critical', 'recommended', and 'optional' (no language packs,etc) updates as well as any Service Packs (SP) must be installed before any attempt to install graphics drivers. If you do not get this message .... keep installing until you do:

Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers

0 Likes

Yes, I've read this Laptop Graphics Update thread and I have got exactly APU processor unit APU - A8-3550MX with integrated HD 6620G and discrete 6750M , but laptop brands differ very much and I've been said several times by different HP users that they had problems with dual graphics mode exactly with HP laptops (slow working, lagging, overheating, one GPU may become invisible in OS etc). I found a heap of "Help Me" threads, where owners of similar Pavilion laptops updated their dual GPUs with the latest AMD drivers and had such repeating problems.  Other laptop brands (usually) allow to update graphics from native AMD drivers easily, but for Hewlett-Packard. They published their own builds in 2011 and did not update them so far. So a regular user like me stumbles upon such puzzles when dealing with such brand limits. As I understood, not each and every version of Catalyst Software Suite has profiles for switchable graphics and allows to switch GPUs on the fly during games etc. It protects both GPUs from overloading, memory errors etc and they work safer and longer. So far I learned about Catalyst 12.5 and this Microsoft driver. Does this 15.7.1 WHQL Catalyst driver have these necessary profiles for switchable graphics?

0 Likes

First of all , you have switchable graphics...not dual graphics. These are designed by the manufacturer to work together distributing the work load and under what conditions (battery power,etc) . AMD offers a generic driver that people use after the manufacturer stops offering them. They work.

Configuring Laptop Switchable Graphics on a Windows® Based System | AMD

0 Likes