Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

patelyogesh2
Adept I

AMD Radeon HD 6490M black screen when install the driver

Hello friends,

I have a black screen issue for the last 2 years and I was busy with my other stuff so I ignored it. But now I have some extra time so I thought I could solve it and give this laptop to my brother.

Laptop specification : 

HP Pavillion dv6-6154tx 

OS: Windows 10 pro 64bit ( also tried windows 7 home premium 64bit on one partition)

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 + AMD Radeon HD 6490M 

More specs : HP Pavilion dv6-6154tx Entertainment Notebook PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support 

Issue: Whenever I install a graphics driver for AMD then I got black screen. so I have to power it off and have to start it on safe mode and uninstall the AMD driver. Intel graphics is working fine.

Things I tried :

1) 2 years ago I tried to recover windows 7 using recovery drive but during installation, it was stuck at windows 7 logo.

2) Recently, installed windows 7 home premium on hard drive partition and tried to install AMD driver from HP website, the installation was a success and when I restarted the computer it was stuck at windows 7 logo. Also tried drivers from AMD website. no success.

3) Recently, changed thermal paste on both CPU and GPU (arctic 5 silver)

4)Tried windows 10 automatic driver download from device manager.

5)Also tried automatic driver detection tools (driver pack, easy drive, etc)

Form the last 2 years, I am using this laptop with a disabling AMD device from device manager.

I also tried DDU for a fresh install.

Can anyone give me suggestions on how to solve this black screen issue and is there any way I can check GPU is dead or alive without a driver?

0 Likes
12 Replies

0 Likes

Thank you very much for your response.

I have question. Like if we put windows 10 on side because I installed fresh windows 7 home premium ( this os came with laptop) than why it still give black screen.

even I installed fresh os and just installed wifi driver and after that AMD driver from hp site, still black screen.

I also have backup of SW folder (for HP) of my laptop which came with it and I tried to install that driver then still black screen.

is my gpu dead?

Thank you.

0 Likes

If you installed Win7 fresh.....then update it:

** Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 must be fully updated before attempting to install any AMD driver. All 'critical', 'recommended', and 'optional' (no language packs,etc) updates as well as any Service Packs (SP) must be installed before any attempt to install graphics drivers. If you do not get this message .... keep installing until you do:

0 Likes

Okay. I will follow your instructions and will install windows 7 on drive partition this weekend. I will give you update.

thank you very much for help.

Can you please suggest me which driver should work?

AMD website show two drivers for windows 7 64 bits. Catalyst or Crimson beta?

Thank you

0 Likes

The 16.2.1 beta

No luck...

I followed all your instructions.

1) Installed fresh Windows 7 64bits home premium on drive partition (one partition has Windows 10 which I normally use). updated windows 7 fully. checked for the update for at least 5 times. just one update was pending (AMD driver). image 1.

2) Turn off the firewall and downloaded INTEL and AMD driver from the official website.

3) first installed INTEL driver. that was working fine. 

4) Then installed AMD (crimson 16.2.1 beta). but at around 49% it showed a black screen. More details on Image 4.

Anything I did wrong?

At this point, I think it is a hardware issue because before I used formate my laptop once a year and every time I install the driver without issue.

Does the BIOS version affect it? It is F.1B.

Any BIOS setting? currently, BIOS mode is legacy.

Any way to check hardware issues without having a driver?

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

0 Likes

Try installing the AMD driver from Device Manager / graphics AMD/update driver/have disk/ C:/AMD / 16.2.1 / 64bit /inf file

0 Likes

Tried installing using device manager but Same as image 4.

is there anyway to check for hardware (GPU) issue?

Thank you.

0 Likes
patelyogesh2
Adept I

Anyone please help.

0 Likes

Did you find a solution ?

I have the same issues with AMD 6770M & HD 3000 Graphics, since 1 week, all day I make tests with no solution..

0 Likes

Hello,

First of all I tested a large number of drivers without success, I also tested several operating systems, win10, w7, ubuntu, again w7 etc.

Then I came across a post on the AMD forum where someone explained that this was a symptom of a faulty graphic chipset (https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/black-screen-after-installing-ati-drivers-hp-laptop-sw...). The “solution” was therefore to “re-flow”, to heat the chipset to a temperature above 230 ° C for a few minutes.

Spoiler

However, it is not very stable and I may run into issues on games during my testing.

I'll see if limiting the frame rate will prevent blues screens.

To be continued..

0 Likes