cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

DarkHazer
Journeyman III

AMD Radeon Driver 21.6.2 - Some Games Launch, Some Games Do NOT Launch

I have been enjoying the AMD Radeon Driver 21.6.2 because of support for Vulkan Ray Tracing in Doom Eternal. All was going well Friday night on July 9, 2021 while playing Doom Eternal. Then got off Doom to hangout with some friends on Discord. Then after the Discord hangout, updated Windows to OS Build KB5004945 and restarted my computer. Then after the PC restart, decided to hope into Doom Eternal to finish a level. But then, Doom Eternal would not load. I click Play on Steam for Doom Eternal. The game launches like normal through the developer introductions and copyright text. The comes the loading screen with Teleporting on the bottom left corner of the screen. The Mark of the Doom Slayer usually has a spinning incomplete circle around it, but the circle is frozen for a couple of seconds. Then the game crashes with no error code. I found it odd and tried again several times. No success. Then I open up Battle.net to play Call of Duty Warzone. I click Play for Warzone. I get the initial launch screen with the white status bar on the bottom progressing only about 5% then the launching sequences stops with no error code. I try several times again to launch Warzone but no success. Then I try to launch Overwatch, but the game crashes as well, but with an error code! Then I try to play Mass Effect Legendary Edition on Steam. I click Play, Origin opens up, the Mass Effect launcher shows up on the taskbar, but then the launcher disappears.

After these 4 game attempts, I try playing Halo MCC and Destiny 2. Oddly enough, Halo and Destiny work perfectly fine! The games launch perfectly and run perfectly. Funny how Destiny 2 just recently works fine on AMD GPUs now, but I'll get into my specs at the end of this post.

Now on to the things I have tried:

Downgraded the Radeon Driver to 21.6.1 and re-upgraded to 21.6.2 on Saturday. After doing this and even factory resetting the Radeon Software, All my games were actually launching! I was able to play Doom Eternal and Mass Effect Legendary Edition! Then I turned off my PC for the day. Came back to turn on my PC on Sunday, I was having the same problem as before. Certain games refuse to fully launch, while other games do launch! Note that these are the exact same games that either refuse to fully launch or run perfectly fine.

Even tried the downgraded 21.6.1 and still had the same issues.

Check game file integrities or repaired game files. Doom Eternal, Mass Effect, and Overwatch ended up fine already. Warzone kept on giving my an error when I chose to scan and repair the game and the whole process would restart.

Moved Doom Eternal from NVMe M.2 SSD 1 to NVMe M.2 SSD 2. No change.

Uninstalled and reinstalled both Doom Eternal and Warzone. Still had the same problem!

Tried running the games and their launchers (like Steam) as administrator, but no solution.

Updated my motherboard BIOS to the latest BIOS. It actually seemed to work because both Mass Effect and Doom were launching. Then I restarted my PC to get into the BIOS to re-enable resizable BAR support to enable AMD's SAM. Then the problem came back. Even went back into the BIOS to disable resizable BAR support and still had the same problem of not being able to launch certain games.

Here are my relevant specs:

Computer Type: Desktop

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X

GPU: XFX AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT

GPU Driver: 21.6.2

Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero

Motherboard BIOS Version: 3601

RAM: 64GB DDR4 3600 Mhz

Storage: Corsair Force MP600, Samsung 980 PRO, 2 Samsung 870 EVO

Operating System and Build: Windows 10 Pro Version 21H1 OS Build 19043.1083

PSU: Corsair AX1000 1000 Watt 80+ Titanium Certified

Anyone able to help? I feel like it might be the Windows update because that was the last thing I remember doing on my PC before I started having this problem. If anything, I'll just play other games while I wait for another AMD Radeon GPU driver update, which will probably take like a month, or wait for another Windows cumulative update, which will take like a week or two. Thanks a bunch.

0 Likes
1 Solution
DarkHazer
Journeyman III

Found a solution on my Reddit post. The user recommended opening Event Viewer on Windows and see if there is any kind of error. So I opened Event Viewer. When opening and crashing Mass Effect and Modern Warfare 2 Remastered, I noticed a Level Error. The faulting application path was the game. But the faulting module path lead to Asus ROG Sonic Studio. So I right clicked on the volume system icon on the bottom right corner of the task bar, went to sounds, went to playback, then disabled the Sonic Studio Virtual Mixer. Now all games launch properly, even after restarting my PC!

Some things though regarding Event Viewer before enabling the fix. Doom Eternal and Overwatch launches then crashes, but there is no error on Event Viewer. Warzone and Black Ops Cold War launch and crash with an Error showing in Event Viewer is the faulting module path leading to NTDLL

Not sure about the NTDLL thing, but disabling Sonic worked! I can now launch and play Mass Effect Legendary Edition, Doom Eternal, Overwatch, Modern Warfare 2 Remastered, Warzone, and Black Ops Cold War! Thanks a bunch!

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DarkHazer
Journeyman III

Found a solution on my Reddit post. The user recommended opening Event Viewer on Windows and see if there is any kind of error. So I opened Event Viewer. When opening and crashing Mass Effect and Modern Warfare 2 Remastered, I noticed a Level Error. The faulting application path was the game. But the faulting module path lead to Asus ROG Sonic Studio. So I right clicked on the volume system icon on the bottom right corner of the task bar, went to sounds, went to playback, then disabled the Sonic Studio Virtual Mixer. Now all games launch properly, even after restarting my PC!

Some things though regarding Event Viewer before enabling the fix. Doom Eternal and Overwatch launches then crashes, but there is no error on Event Viewer. Warzone and Black Ops Cold War launch and crash with an Error showing in Event Viewer is the faulting module path leading to NTDLL

Not sure about the NTDLL thing, but disabling Sonic worked! I can now launch and play Mass Effect Legendary Edition, Doom Eternal, Overwatch, Modern Warfare 2 Remastered, Warzone, and Black Ops Cold War! Thanks a bunch!