accn
Elite

Re: AMD Radeon 5700 Black Screen of Death

no, it wont be fixed

0 Likes
b3astbynatur3
Adept I

Re: AMD Radeon 5700 Black Screen Crashes During Gaming

I had this issue. Did TONS of tests. My PC would hard crash giving me a motherboard debug code of 00. I at first thought it was my CPU, but after replacing the cpu the crashes continued. When I say tons of testing.. I mean the most testing I've ever done to resolve an issue with my PC. A week of nonstop troubleshooting led to me a "workaround" rather than a fix. I was able to boil it down and recreate the crash when running my GPU at over 150watts. If my GPU spiked or stayed above 150watts my PC would eventually crash. I limited my power slider within Wattman to a -33% to keep my GPU watt usage under 150. After doing this I have not experienced these crashes again. To clarify I have the Sapphire 5700xt Nitro+ card. While limiting the gpu to just 150watts it still maintains 1770 - 2000mhz on the core (depending on the game and scene). So while I'm not completely happy with this I still get great performance while staying cool and quiet. I don't know why going over 150w on my GPU causes the crashes (and its every game). Every driver update I do I check to see if it's fixed or not. Hope this helps you.

0 Likes
pablo_rey14
Journeyman III

I have the same problem with my MSI RX 5700 XT when i play Red Dead Redemption 2. Someone solved it?

0 Likes
accn
Elite

It seems to me that some GPUs simply have a hardware defect that appears from time to time and it is unlikely that a driver will be released that can fix it. If you have tried all the diagnostic methods and are sure that your PC is working properly (for example, it works with another gpu without issues), use your warranty. I spent almost a year looking for a problem in my pc, endlessly checking memory and cpu for errors, changing power supplies, but the problem did not go away. Now with a different gpu my pc is rock solid, and tomorrow I will RMA my rx5700

reaper-96
Adept I

So after some fiddling around, i've mostly mitigated the issue by enabling power tuning and setting the "Power Limit (%)" slider as far to the right as it goes. It's been a week and i've only had one crash as opposed to several a day. The issue is definitely related to some kind of GPU spike.

0 Likes
mickeekung
Challenger

I can solve it by using latest version of AMD software and upgrade window to window 10 2004.

0 Likes
pablo_rey14
Journeyman III

Thank you very much for your answer. Are you using version 20.7.2?
0 Likes
shadow_death
Adept I

Keep an eye on your GPU junction temps and your GPU Core clock speeds.

My Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT loves to push itself to 2029MHz if I leaved it on auto. After a while of this my games crash.  Sometimes I get a black screen sometimes it goes back to desktop. If I check event viewer it says that the driver stopped responding but recovered.

The Fix: I limited my GPU to 1900MHz and 1000mV in AMD Radeon Software. It seems my GPU is binned pretty decently for thermals but it struggles when it's left to freely push itself.

These are my GPU's clock speeds

• Boost Clock: Up to 1925 MHz
  • Game Clock: Up to 1815 MHz
  • Base Clock: 1670 MHz

My GPU would stay at 2029MHz constantly while gaming. I was instructed to try this by someone over on Reddit so I figured I'd share it here too. Check your GPU specs with the manufacturer and see if your card is exceeding their specs. If it is try limiting them to see if it solves the driver crashes for you guys.

This has essentially eliminated all driver crashes I've had except for Chrome/Edge black screens which apparently has something to do with AMD drivers and chrome using a hardware overlay for video playback if I'm understanding correctly.

pablo_rey14
Journeyman III

thanks for your answer. I will try this.

0 Likes