cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

summerbear5
Adept I

AMD Radeon 19.12.2 Switchable Graphics

I had AMD Radeon Settings 19.5.2 and when that didn't work I updated to AMD Radeon Settings 19.12.2
I have an AMD Radeon R7 M340 and AMD Radeon R5. I want a certain program to use the AMD Radeon R7 M340 card but no matter what I do it only uses the AMD Radeon R5.

10 Replies

What APU do you have INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION 

Check in Device manager for display/graphics..any yellow marks?

By default laptops will not use the discrete graphics on some applications....or OGL games/apps. It also depends on which 'switchable' program the manufacturer is using.

What program is giving you issues? Did you assign the high performance graphics to the app? Or does it automatically choose which to use?

This is from HP...but all laptops are the same:

HP Notebook PCs - OpenGL Applications Cannot Use Discrete GPU with Intel + AMD Switchable Graphics |... 

0 Likes
summerbear5
Adept I

I followed your link and attempted to enable fixed mode switchable graphics however that is not an option in my BIOS. I then updated my BIOS but, it still isn't an option. 

I've been dealing with a huge mess. I tried reverting to earlier Radeon software that came from the manufacture of my computer. It installed but it wouldn't run on computer startup. And even though I was able to tell Radeon settings to use high performance for a certain program (which I'd wanted to use the Radeon R7) the computer was still using the same card the Radeon R5. It's almost as if the computer doesn't even realize there is a second card at all. Every program and software runs on the Radeon R5 and I have no idea how to fix it. I'd rather have the computer strictly use the Radeon R7 for everything if I could.

0 Likes

The 'switchable' function has been removed from the graphics drivers for Win10 starting with the new 'Adrenalin 2020'. The option is now located under  'Display' of your computer...."Graphics'.

0 Likes

I went into Display and Graphics and it shows Radeon R5 for both Power Saving and High Performance 

0 Likes

What APU do you have?

0 Likes

Attaching my DxDiag

0 Likes

0 Likes

Looking at DXdiag I see this:

Miracast: Not Supported by Graphics driver
Hybrid Graphics GPU: Not Supported
Power P-states: Not Supported
Virtualization: Not Supported

Contact the manufacturer or support forum for a explanation

0 Likes

Ok thank you for helping me. The one thing about the DxDiag though is it says I have a Radeon 530 whereas sometimes it says I have a Radeon R7 M340. So I don't really know which it is.

0 Likes

Whichever it is...the APU update updates the discrete driver as well. They use the same drivers.

0 Likes