Adept II

AMD R9 270x Windows 7 crashing on some games

Describe your system:

AMD Graphics Card: R9 270X 2GB

Desktop

Windows 7 64 bit

Radeon 18.5.1-may23 and 18.6.1

Samsung S22B150 (1920x1080@60Hz) monitor

Motherboard: MSI Z170A PC MATE (MS-7971) (U3E1)

CPU: Intel i5 6500

Power Supply: Corsair 650W

RAM: 8GB

Describe your issue:

Serious problems on Heroes of the Storm, Diablo 3, Warframe, Dota 2

Whenever I start these games I get TDR errors and the display driver has recovered from an error black screen. These games crash multiple times every time I play them and sometimes I will get a hard lockup in Diablo 3 and Warframe. The games usually crash when there is a lot happening on the screen at the same time, but they crash at lowest settings even at lower resolutions.

Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered is what I see on Event Log.

I don't get any crashes at all on most other games like Doom, Far Cry, Fallout 4, GTA, Shadow of Mordor and War, Batman, Alien Isolation, Everybody's Gone to Rapture, Dark Souls, Dragon Age Inquisition, Witcher 3 or Tomb Raider, Overwatch, World of Warcraft.

0 Likes
1 Solution
anoriel
Adept II

Fixed with downclock on graphics card using MSI Afterburner with these settings

Core Clock 999 Mhz

Memory Clock 1200 Mhz

You do not have to upgrade to Windows 10, you do not have to clean install windows, you do not have to go back to older drivers. It's not the fault of the video games publishers.

Newer AMD drivers do not work well on older cards and more so on overclocked editions of these cards. To fix TDR errors and black screens the best solution is to downclock your card.

Downclocking my r9 270x to these settings have resulted in no crashes so far on the following games: Diablo 3, Heroes of the Storm, Far Cry 4 Himalayas levels, Warframe on Driver version 18.7.1-july19

I am unsure if downclocking the memory clock is necessary, I will play around with these overclock settings more.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
11 Replies