cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

amkittrell13
Journeyman III

AMD PC crashing

Forgive me if im not posting in the correct location but this one seemed as good as any.

I recently upgraded my pc, everything is new except my mother board

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X

GPU: XFX Radeon RX 7900XT

Motherboard: TUF Gaming X570-Plus Wifi

Memory: 32gb T-Force Xtreem

Power: Corsair RM1000e 80 Plus Gold

Coolant: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360

Drive: WD_BLACK SN850X NVMe SSD

All on windows 10

I started playing RDR2 with this setup and for about 10 minutes or so it was nice, playing at 4k and on ultra, was getting 60fps on average, but then it crashed, and then crashed some more. It blue screened on me with text in the top left corner saying my device ran into a problem and needed to restart, also saying WHEA uncorrectable error. This happened about 7-8 times, each time in between id try different ways to fix it. Ran rdr2 as admin, turned amd graphic options in adrenalin off, made sure my pc power plan was set to max performance, made sure my drivers/bios were updated, verified integrity of the game files in steam, uninstall/reinstall etc etc, still doesnt work. The only times it seemed to run smoothly for an extended period of time is when I changed the graphics settings to low, however im not sure it wouldnt crash with low settings either, just seems to be able to last longer. To make matters worse, the same thing might be happening in the Witcher 3 as well since something similar occured in the tutorial, granted in witcher there was no blue screen, just crashed with a blank screen and restarted the pc. Battlefront 2, ESO and Arkham Knight seemed to be working as intended, so as of right now Witcher 3 and RDR2 seem to be the only ones causing trouble. So if anyone has any solutions or thoughts as to why this is happening, im all ears

0 Likes
6 Replies
XSYLUS
Adept I

Check in the BIOS settings for Precision Boost Overdrive.  If it's enabled try disabling it and then running a game.

0 Likes

That was one of the last things I tried, unfortunately the result was the same. 

0 Likes

Yea, it seems like the WHEA error is similar to the "check engine" light on a car.  The possible causes are too broad.   Per AMD support they sent me a laundry list of steps to try (non of which mentioned the PBO bios setting) and at the end of the support email they recommended replacing the CPU if the problem persisted.

I used the WhoCrashed tool to at least determine it was the authenticamd.sys driver at the root, but I really wish that Microsoft or someone could find a better way to break it down.  It's not like the average consumer has the time or money to just keep buying and throwing replacement parts at the problem.

I had tried so many troubleshooting steps that I'm not sure which one (if any) did the trick, but so far I haven't seen the BSOD.

0 Likes

In my case I thought disabling PBO had done the trick, but it turns out that the issue has potentially been resolved by underclocking the GPU.    

0 Likes
LordOdin
Adept II

I had a similar problem, PC restarted when playing Fallout 76, it didn't Blue Screen though but said something about the Wattman system had crashed, it reset on it's own and has been ok since. Seeing as you have reinstalled drivers i can't see it being that.

0 Likes
MADZyren
Paragon

How are your temperatures? 

Have you tried with side panel open?

Do you have two separate power cables running from PSU to GPU?

What other software do you run while gaming?

0 Likes