cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

redspeed
Adept I

AMD no longer supporting laptops with switchable graphics

Ive been contacting AMD for a year now. Drivers since 19.1.1 cause my switchable graphics on my laptop to not function properly. I have an R7 9830p paired with a RX 460 GPU. The RX 460 is supposed to switch on automatically when it detects a game, however every driver package, including the new one released today causes the RX 460 to not work at all. It doesnt switch on, and when I check the Radeon settings it automatically forces whatever app or game I used into power saving mode. I can switch it back to high performance mode, but it will change back to power saving mode again after I close out of the settings.

AMD support seems clueless and arent helpful at all, just making me go through the same basic troubleshooting steps over and over again.  Can I assume AMD just gave up and abandoned my hardware?  I keep getting notifications that there are new drivers to download, but they never work for me. It doesnt seem like AMD cares about fixing this issue.

6 Replies

What APU? And we are to assume Win10?

0 Likes

Its an Asus X550IU which I guess was a budget gaming laptop Asus came out with. They released a few other models with an RX 560 I think too.

My laptop has the AMD FX 9830p R7 1GB APU along with a 4GB RX 460 GPU. 

Running windows 10, latest bios from Asus, no spyware / viruses etc. 

After 19.1.1 which came out about a year ago, every single driver caused switchable graphics to break, it just runs off the R7 and never turns on the RX 460. I do a complete clean when I test out new drivers and am always getting notifications for me to update to the latest version, but they never work. 

Contacting AMD is frustrating since my ticket gets closed somehow, then I start over with someone else who wants me to do the same troubleshooting and are always quick to tell me to reinstall windows 10 for the seventh time like its no big deal to start over again and again. 

0 Likes

As you probably know....the discrete card (RX460) is of no importance when updating APU's. You update the APU...not the discrete card....

That said, I have been around the forum for a long time and the APU that has caused the most issues is the FX9830p and the FX9800p. These models use the now unsupported "Enduro" switchable graphics. Some issues have been solved by using the drivers from the manufacturer (Download Center | Official Support | ASUS Global ) to get a working set and then install a newer driver from AMD over the top....(no uninstall or DDU).

https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/amd-fx-series-processors/amd-fx-series-processors-for-laptops/7th... 

I just found out that the 'switchable' function has been removed from the graphics drivers for Win10 starting with the new 'Adrenalin 2020'. The option is now located under  'Display' of your computer...."Graphics'. Hopefully this will benefit 'Enduro' users

0 Likes

we tried it and doom runs ok on vulkan...but ashes of the singularity only uses 3.96 fps when he could get 23.30 fps....using DX12....

so he seems to think that newer games are benefitting more but older games are going backwards....

um he is downlaoding Re 2 remake and testing that soon...and then he is testing shadow of the tomb raider. next....

0 Likes

And the results of the test...Whats this I'm getting negative FPS here...hold on let me retest....single FPS on directx12?!

Will forget about my theory about newer games benefiting more from newer drivers. It looks like directx12 in general is shot on switchable graphic machines.

0 Likes