cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

sharktooth
Elite

Re: AMD Link: What do you want to see in future versions?

this is the AMD Link feedback thread. Keep the discussion on topic. 

jokbon
Adept III

I want to see modern anti aliasing, shader setings, direct x version modes, codec supports, memory alocation (for shaders etc total video and so on), per app super resolution, pixel doubling, fog, bloom, ao culling, sharpening slider, automatic energy saving when program minimized, etc... HAH

0 Likes
bigmalloyman
Adept I

Please concentrate on rock solid drivers and have two branches, solid and experimental and put all the new features in the experimental branch so I can avoid beta testing features I don't want and others who want to be cutting edge can.

icedk
Adept II

Instead of adding mega on mega of "useless things"..
I reiterate: greater safety test and established in the drivers

render1967
Journeyman III

Instead of new extras, I would like to see that old problems have been solved. I have the RX580 and with this video card old games like Fable Anniversary or games from NFS series - Underground2, Undercover, Most Wanted are not running (I see in internet that other people have the same problem). It's been a year since I bought this video card, I update every new drivers release, but the problems still remain. With an old R9 280X video card, these games run without any problems. Why? Is the DX12 the problem or something else? When will this issue be corrected?? Or this company only interested in reaping the profits from the products it sells and then no longer cares for the customers? Is that correct?

colesdav
MVP

Did you create a separate thread / question about that issue?
Did you file AMD Reporting Form or open an email support request?
You can still purchase old R9 280x GPU on Ebay, if you don't have one already, as a temporary workaround.
Thanks.

colesdav
MVP

(1). If you have a dual slot motherboard with PCIe3.0x16 or dual PCIe3.0x8 you could have your RX580 as your primary GPU and add the R9 280x as your secondary GPU on the motherboard. You will not suffer performance loss on the RX580.

(2). For email support go here: Online Service Request | AMD 

(3). To open a new thread go here: https://community.amd.com/community/support-forums/drivers-software 
ASK it button will help you get a thread started.

Hope that is the information you wanted.
Thanks.

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

colesdav wrote:

(1). If you have a dual slot motherboard with PCIe3.0x16 or dual PCIe3.0x8 you could have your RX580 as your primary GPU and add the R9 280x as your secondary GPU on the motherboard. You will not suffer performance loss on the RX580.

(2). For email support go here: Online Service Request | AMD 

(3). To open a new thread go here: Drivers & Software 
ASK it button will help you get a thread started.

Hope that is the information you wanted.
Thanks.

The RX580 is Polaris while the R9 280X is Tahiti which is slower. 

For alternate frame rendering the performance will suffer compared to a pair of RX 580s 

colesdav
MVP

I was responding to a private message from render1967 

I was just pointing out they could have both of those GPU (RX580 and R9 280X) on one motherboard.
Yes sure I understand the R9 280X is slower than RX 580, but it would be a temporarily workaround sorender1967 could run the games that will not run on the RX580.

For alternate frame rendering - DX11 Crossfire will not work at all with those two GPU's (RX 580 and R9 280X).
I doubt DX12 MultiGPU would work very well if at all for gaming, you would probably see negative scaling of Ashes of the Singularity for example. 
In any case,  DX11 Crossfire is now dead. AMD tried to drop it on RX Vega 56/64 but backtracked. No support for it on the Radeon VII. No support for it on RX5700 or RX5700XT.
DX12 MultiGPU is not getting implemented by developers on new games. Still not there on BFV, for example. 
Nvidia similar story with SLI see: Don’t buy two video cards! - YouTube 

One thing you can use MultiGPU for is Blender, but RX580 and R9 280X are not a good choice for that.
R9 280X is GCN 1.0 and that does not work on Blender versions later than 2.79.
Blender 2.79 had  a major performance boost on AMD GPUs versus versus 2.78, so better off with 1 RX580 on 2.79.

0 Likes
render1967
Journeyman III

This is a bit strange problem solution. However, just to be a bit clearer - and which of the two video cards should the monitor turn on?