cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

robertmoore95
Journeyman III

AMD Link on Android TV, latency problem

I'm having trouble getting AMD link app to work properly on my Android TV (Nvidia Shield).

I have a PC in another room running a 3950x and Radeon Vii, a hard line cat 6 cable connecting to a router and the android TV in the living room, so there should be minimal issues getting a good connection.

What I'm finding is when I do the test its very inconsistent with the results ranging from 22ms to 200ms, and when I have the stats on the screen while streaming a game the latency starts off really good like 22ms and the experience is very good, but after like 5 mins it shoots up to 200ms and the image then has lots of smearing, artefacts and lag and is unplayable it doesn't go back down again.

When I go back to the AMD link menu and then jump back into the game it drops down to 22ms again and repeat.

I've tried the different encoder methods x264 seems to be more reliable but still has the latency issues.

Is this a known issue or do I need to check something on my network? Or is this a Android TV setting?

I really would like to get this to work to enjoy casual gaming in the living room remote from the pc. 

0 Likes
3 Replies
davgee
Journeyman III

Why hasn't this been resolved. Real and legitimate issue!

0 Likes
strawmapleza
Journeyman III

Just to add some info to this.

Recently tried this on my Chromecast with Google TV. My results below:

1. xCloud - Works @720p/60fps (can't test 1080p as they don't support it), only issue is background music has a stutter (other audio is fine)
  2. Nvidia Moonlight - Works up to 4k/60fps, no issues at all.
  3. Stadia - Works up to 4k/60fps, no issues besides internet quality almost never being consistent.
  4. GeForce Now - Apparently works up to 1080p/60fps (not tested this one my self).
  5. Steam Link - Doesn't work well at all (@1080p/30fps), from extreme frame drops to my Xbox One S controller input going whack. Tried various settings, was just a no go.
  6. Parsec - Stream works at 1080p/60fps but the input lag is horrible. Completely unplayable.
  7. AMD Link - Stream works at 1080p/60fps with frame skipping on, but without frame skipping easily getting up to 20% frame drop.

tl;dr of the above:

Game streaming works for Moonlight / Stadia / GeForce Now, the rest all seem to have issues on CCwGTV. AMD Link is a close runner up, but with the jittery stream (feels like 30fps while the host is 60fps+) its playable but rather annoying to use.

Summary:

Given that other apps get it right, I think this is fixable on AMD's end if they are bothered to do so. The sad fact is that Moonlight, an unofficial app made by some random person, works better than pretty much any of the other "Official" apps made by billion dollar companies.

yearlingchuy
Journeyman III

more than 3 years and no change huh. definitely what i found is that amd link isnt using hardware decoding which leads to crazy latency. wish we could get a chime in from this from devs. anything would help. should be an easy but specific tweak. shields use much better decoders than tvs youd think

0 Likes