cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ruggb
Adept I

AMD Installer Says Driver Not Installed Correctly On System Boot

My system uses a HD8240 on Windows 10. I installed 15.201.1301.0000 and it functions ok but it says it is not installed completely and the installer keeps popping up at startup but it doesn't do anything.

How do I disable/remove the installer. There isn't much I haven't tried.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Found this 3 y/o TenForums Thread with the same problems on a Acer laptop as you are having with your HP Laptop: Windows 10 Help Forums 

View solution in original post

10 Replies

0 Likes
ruggb
Adept I

it took a few tries but I finally deleted the drivers entirely and was able to uninstall the AMD Radeon installer. I am back to a 2015 driver that works. So much for the Radeon w10 update. It doesn't work on my HD 8240 though it says it does.

BTW, It is an all-in-one HP18-5021 -- not that that should matter. It is W10 and an HD8240 - which I suspect is more relevant.

0 Likes

Actually, AMD knows what's relevant...and they posted it here INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION 

You did accidentally post some useful info however. HP18-5021

Your 'all in one' is nothing but a big laptop and uses Mobility software. To find the correct (and only) driver to install..go to this page and fill out the search exactly as I have for you.

AMD Drivers and Support for Radeon, Radeon Pro, FirePro, APU, CPU, Ryzen, desktops, laptops 

Please read > Laptop graphics update...How to 

It is always best to use the drivers furnished for your laptop by the OEM. Find those here > HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP® Customer Support 

Try using DDU (Display Driver Unistaller) to remove the AMD Driver and bad installation from your computer in safe mode with the internet disconnected. Then try installing the AMD full package Driver again with internet still disconnected. Once it installs correctly, enable the internet again.

Note: after using DDU and the computer restarts, you might want to run a Registry scanner to clean up any leftover registries from AMD installation.

0 Likes

OK, I did the hole ddu thing. When the latest "approved" driver loaded, atikmdag.sys uses so much CPU the system stops more than it runs, totally unusable. With the old driver loaded, what Windowz loads, it appears to only use <30% so it is usable. right now I have a MS driver loaded because I haven't connected to the inet. System is running about 1-2% usage. How do I stop it from updating when I connect to the inet?

0 Likes

From TenForums.com on how to disable Windows 10 from updating Drivers only: Windows 10 Help Forums 

This is information concerning atikmdag.sys: https://www.file.net/process/atikmdag.sys.html 

Also it mentions how to disable it:

But if you disable it your GPU probably may not work correctly if at all.

0 Likes

Found this 3 y/o TenForums Thread with the same problems on a Acer laptop as you are having with your HP Laptop: Windows 10 Help Forums 

THANK YOU !!!!!

I didn't find that one. Deleting all the atikmdag.sys files appears to be the bottom line answer.

Now, am I totally tired of this or do I want to experiment. I am on an older version of the driver. It is running with no atikmdag.sys and SYSTEM is under 5% most all the time. I may reload the latest approved driver and delete those files again and see if that works. At least I know what works and how to get there. I guess a system restore would undo it quickly.

Thank you again

OH, BTW, for anyone else--I had to use TAKE OWNERSHIP of the file from Trusted Installer b4 I could delete the files.

I didn't realize it at the time I posted that Acer Link but it also uses the same GPU as your HP laptop with exactly the same results.

I would do a Windows System Backup image (Using Windows 10 Windows 7 backup method) or other 3rd party System Backup software rather than take a risk with a Restore point. I found out using Restore points aren't very reliable.

I would recommend not to delete that .sys file. It will probably crash your video or laptop. .Sys is a driver file.  you can temporarily "disable" it by changing the file name which is safer than deleting it.

0 Likes

I  changed the name on a couple of them and deleted others. I figured if it crashes it is easy to get them back. It is harder trying to fix something when the mouse only moves 50% of the time for 1 sec each time.

YES, I am going to do an image. I use Macrium Reflect Free. Great program.