cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

cloudeffect
Adept I

AMD High Definition Audio Device stuttering

Ever since getting the RX 5700 XT about 2 weeks ago I've been having audio issues, specifically stuttering. It only happens when using AMD High Definition Audio Device through the HDMI to my TV. I've used headphones both wireless and wired and never had a single stutter while using this GPU. There is something majorly wrong with THIS GPU and the HDMI audio through it. I was using an RX Vega 64 before this and never experienced these issues with the HDMI audio

I've tried using DDU to clean the previous drivers off as well as using the AMD clean utility both in safe mode, to no avail. I also tried using older drivers as well as the ones that just came out today. I've also tried different HDMI cables and that did nothing. Nothing seems to work.

It happens all the time while I'm playing games. It happens a lot less often when I'm listening to music or watching videos. I've also noticed when it does happen in the desktop the sound device icon on the bottom right corner of Windows 10 will have an X over it for a split second when it occurs. It's like it's disconnecting for that split second.

Does anyone else experience this issue? Or even have a possible fix?

0 Likes
9 Replies
n3m3515
Journeyman III

I'm experiencing similar issues after upgrading my R9 295X2 to an RX 5700 XT.  I get the stuttering of the audio when watching streaming services through a web page and find that I have to go to the device properties for the AMD High Definition Audio Device and disable, and then, re-enable it for the stuttering to go away.  I don't have the same problem watching videos through KODI however.

The more annoying issue is the low frequency fluttering/humming/buzzing sound when I play games.  The feedback through the speakers isn't constant either and can be amplified by highlighting different in game menu items and different stages of game load screens, or cutscenes, etc.

R9 295X2 using same AMD audio driver through HDMI did not have any of these issues.

Will try changing a few graphics cards settings as others have suggested in other posts related to HDMI audio issues and see if things can be improved.

0 Likes
leonajos
Journeyman III

Any update to this issue? I am also using RX 5700 XT and playing music via HDMI and getting the skipping and making my audio setup useless, headphones play fine, I haven't had any issues with game audio tho. AMD Audio Driver Version 10.0.1.12

0 Likes
sintreize
Journeyman III

Same problem here with 5700XT. Disabling and Enabling doesn't work for me. Restarting PC will help sometimes but only for a short time.

0 Likes

I have found if you stop the driver and restart it you have the same effect of restarting the PC. If you want a quicker fix. Same effect tho.

0 Likes
cropots
Journeyman III

I received my 5700XT a week ago, today it started showing this same problem. Someone managed to solve? Sometimes it happens very often, it is irritating to have to keep switching the audio output modes so as not to have to restart the machine.

0 Likes

I haven’t found a solution that works. I gave up and am outputting audio from my motherboard instead. 

0 Likes
cropots
Journeyman III

I changed the sound mode from Stereo to Windows Sonic, it seems to have had an effect, so far I haven't had the problem.

0 Likes
cloudeffect
Adept I

The only way I was able to fix the problem was to not use the HDMI audio anymore. I switched to using the 3.5mm audio jack from my motherboard and the problem disappeared. It's not so much a solution as it is a work around. I was send my sound to my TV directly using HDMI before, but now I use the 3.5mm on my motherboard to RCA on my receiver. I do think this will limit my future audio upgrades since I'll be limited to stereo sound.

0 Likes
Torspo
Journeyman III

My girlfriend bought a 6700xt card and since the beginning there has been stuttering of the sound for about 1-2 seconds.
maybe every 10 minutes when watching a movie via the hdmi cable on the TV.

I bought a 7800xt card and it has exactly the same error and it seems that nothing helps.
You probably have to buy an nvidia card or we won't be able to watch the movie properly.
Now for some reason, the picture on Netflix has also started to freeze.

This is a pretty serious problem and I would really hope that amd would quickly do something about.
Nothing has happened for more than half a year.

0 Likes