Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: AMD Haven't Updated Driver Files In Over 6 Months

Jump to solution

In addition to what Ray says, the D3D version can be updated without the version number changing. There have been plenty of updates, performance improvements and various optimisations from Catalyst 14.12 to Catalyst 15.5 Beta.

chocolatenipz
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Excuse me I just built my PC on Friday and I had a problem yesterday, Sunday. Computer crashed due to an the driver and then I got the blue screen. I thought I hadn't chosen the latest driver but by looking at this forum I'm wrong. Do you know where I can post my problem? Thank You. P.S It happened while playing Minecraft but the on the first day everything was fine.

0 Kudos
terrace
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

I'll get that direct message to you right away.

I am feeling a large amount of drive and hope to get this issue fixed once and for all with having not only one but two people actually from AMD replying. I was considering shopping elsewhere which would be a shame seing as i've owned the last AGP ATI card the sapphire 3850 and then for PCI-X the 4670, two 6970's, two 7970's and now these two r9 290's. I don't really want to shop elsewhere but this has been driving me mad.

The last green card I owned on the other hand was a built in TNT2 on a motherboard which I ditched for a Vodoo 3 3000 so I could run Carmageddon 2 in 3Dfx Mode, also looked pretty awesome in Tribes 1

backFireX64
Forerunner
Forerunner

Jump to solution

That is anyone's choice and personal preference, whether to install beta, whql or both on their system.

I have to completely disagree though.

I have always kept myself up to date on most games and software by using the latest BETA driver, and in many cases there was little or no difference from the so called "final" Microsoft-signed driver, performance-wise and stability-wise.

Specifically, since the Omega drivers, all beta drivers were as stable and reliable as the 14.12 one, on a host of old and modern games, at least for my system environment (i7 975, 2x HD5970, 12 GB 1600 Mhz RAM). And including single gpu usage and crossfirex/ quadfire as well.

The general rule is this: if you need the additional game profiles, improvements and optimizations, then you have no choice than to always use the latest driver available, whether that is beta or whql. Just to stay up to date. Same as nvidia users. If you actually find out that a specific older driver gives you better performance and reliability on specific games and software, then, by all means, stick with that, until there is actual need to install a newer driver version.

If the driver supports your OS and GPU, then i do not see how it would "completely screw up your system". I have never seen that happening (as a general meaning of the phrase term) in any user that i know of, including myself, so unless you want to be more specific about that, please refrain from exaggerated claims, cause there may well be other issues at hand. And to avoid spreading false impressions, of course...

View solution in original post

backFireX64
Forerunner
Forerunner

Jump to solution

Use the official AMD link:

Download Drivers

Just manually select/ find the latest supported (by your OS and GPU) driver, by filling out all the fields with the correct info, and then pressing the "display results" button to forward you to the correct download page.

For any gpu from HD5000 and above, and any OS from windows 7 and above, the latest driver, as of now, should be the AMD Catalyst 15.5 beta.

prospector
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

Sorry bud, but I don't really need to be more specific... it screwed it up meaning my system would crash, then I wouldn't be able to boot up windows... and the errors on my event viewer show the AMD drivers crashed.

Grats for you that it worked well, but it doesn't work well for me.

Also, don't insulate me by saying exaggerated claims... they aren't exaggerated. 

0 Kudos
backFireX64
Forerunner
Forerunner

Jump to solution

Don't mention it... dude...

If you do not "need" to be more specific, then next time, try to be a little more on-topic please. Or start a new thread, explaining your own problems and issues, and i will be glad to assist in any way i can.

I have to warn you though. I can smell "user-error", "bull", or, my favorite of all, "trolling" from miles away... bud.

hardcoregames_
Big Boss
Big Boss

Jump to solution

My HD 6970 has the arctic cooler, works well

0 Kudos
prospector
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

Everyone these days thinks I'm trolling... I don't want your help.  You're an arrogant person, with no value to society, people like you are just annoying little cowards.  It's not user-error, seeing as how I'm a veteran in software and hardware builds since 1999. 

0 Kudos
backFireX64
Forerunner
Forerunner

Jump to solution

I used the Accelero Xtreme on my old HD6990... boy, was that heavy ! The adapter was bending down a bit and fortunately my pcie slot survived, but overall it was quite a good cooling and quiet solution, even though i had to improve my inner case airflow a bit more.

0 Kudos