Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

bdw
Journeyman III

AMD graphics drivers for Linux 21.50.50000-1376259 breaks KDE Screenlocker

Hi, everyone!

I installed AMD graphics drivers for Linux 21.50.50000-1376259 and I noticed that it breaks KDE Screenlocker:

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/kscreenlocker_greet --testing

Error result:  /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/kscreenlocker_greet: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libLayerShellQtInterface.so.
5: undefined symbol: wl_proxy_marshal_flags

I am running KDE Neon 5.24.3 64-bit.  This is an Ubuntu derivative that features the latest KDE software.  

I have tested the drivers with just the open-source useage case, no 32-bit, and workstation with Vulkan and legacy OpenCL.  It seems that kscreenlocker is broken no matter what useage case that I install.

One of the packages is breaking kscreenlocker and it looks to be in the Wayland packages.  I'm not using Wayland, so is it safe to remove all the Wayland packages?  If not, this is indeed a major bug.

-- Brian

2 Replies
gusarg81
Adept I

Hi,

I have the same problem, same KDE version. Radeon Driver: amdgpu-install_21.40.2.40502-1_all.

Not only breaks KDE Screenlocker, but also ksmserver-logout-greeter and so on.

AgenttiX
Journeyman III

I had a similar issue when upgrading from Kubuntu 21.10 to 22.04. The SDDM display manager broke, preventing login. The error message I got was:

The current theme cannot be loaded due to the errors below, please select another theme.

file:///usr/share/sddm/themes/ubuntu-theme/Main.qml:14.1: plugin cannot be loaded for module "org.kde.plasma.core": Cannot load library /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/qml/org/kde/plasma/core/libcorebindingsplugin.so: (/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libKF5GuiAddons.so.5: undefined symbol: wl_proxy_marshal_flags)

This turned out to be an incompatibility issue with the AMD drivers and the new Wayland library versions, and and there are instructions on how to fix this on [GitHub](https://github.com/libsdl-org/SDL/issues/5088#issuecomment-1066588885).

0 Likes