cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Caesum
Adept I

AMD GPU causing stuttering on laptops with Windows 11?

Hi, first post here so sorry if it's in the wrong place (couldn't decide between drivers vs hardware section).

I have recently bought a Lenovo Legion 5 with Ryzen 5 5600H CPU and AMD + NVIDIA Geforce 3060 GTX GPU + Windows 11 and I have noticed that my laptop tends to stutter when I am using AMD GPU. The most common stutter is when I turn on laptop and then click on the speaker icon. But I also noticed similar issue when clicking on some places in Windows settings, or when hefty applications are in the background for a longer amount of time, but then are maximized again.

What's interesting, those stutters don't appear when I am using NVIDIA GPU (eg. through external monitor, when laptop is using NVIDIA for some application or when hybrid mode is turned off). So it seems they are related either to AMD GPU hardware or drivers.

I tried contacting Lenovo Support, my laptop was sent to their service, but it returned with just OS and drivers reinstalled. Obviously the issue still persists. Lenovo said there are no hardware issues and gave me a report of hardware checks.

fTPM is turned off on this laptop so it's not the cause of stutters.

I tried official Lenovo drivers as well as AMD/NVIDIA drivers but there was no difference. Infact drivers drom AMD/NVIDIA sites only caused crashes so I reverted to drivers from Lenovo site.

So because of that I decided to try AMD community this time and just ask you, do you also have such issues with AMD GPU on laptops? Is it something common for AMD cards or acknowledged by AMD?

The stutters are like this: https://youtu.be/fSN5a5k-2k8

0 Likes
3 Replies
Caesum
Adept I

I am still facing this issue even after laptop went back to Lenovo Service. In the meantime I have noticed that people with HP Omen 15 suffer from a very similar (same?) issue:

HP Omen 15 mouse freeze on Windows 10/11 - HP Support Community - 8223478

And it seems it dragged over from Windows 10 for this case. Notice how HP Omen laptop has similar hardware setup as Lenovo Legion (AMD Ryzen with AMD iGPU + NVIDIA RTX 30xx).

my specs are:

Laptop Lenovo Legion 5 15ACH6H

AMD Ryzen 5 5600H (3,30Ghz) with Radeon Graphics + Nvidia GeForce  RTX 3060 6023 MB VRAM

16 GB RAM

SSD Samsung MZVLB1T0HBLR-000L2

Lith-Polymer battery 60Wh 15.36 V/17.37V

230 WAT Power Brick

2560 x 1440 (QHD) 165Hz (with 60Hz option too)

windows 11 Home 64-bit

Considering Lenovo has certified drivers I am asking you guys now if you have/had this problem before on your laptops (of any brand) and if you managed to fix it. If so, then how? Because if it's a driver issue then maybe I could highlight this on Lenovo board.

EDIT: Now I see this was a common issue with INTEL + NVIDIA GPUs and it was acknowledged and fixed by Intel. Again, I cannot find any info if this issue was resolved on AMD's side though:

0 Likes

I know this a few months later but I have exactly the same problem.  Stuttes when clicking the settings panel. 

Victus by HP Laptop

Ryzen 7 6800H with Radeon Graphics

Nvidia RTX 3050 Ti Mobile

Stutters even more when using Chrome.

I even installed Ubuntu, disabled the TPM and no difference.  Still stutters even on Linux, makes me think this is a hardware issue that AMD/Nvidia is not really talking about...

0 Likes

I think your best bet is going to be HP, they made it, they know more about whats going on than anyone.

0 Likes