Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

john007
Exemplar
Exemplar

AMD Fury X with The Settlers 3

Hello,

Has anyone out there got an AMD Fury X with an old skool game that is The Settlers 3? Either the CD version or the GOG.com version, there seems to be a glitch with the mouse? Hopefully someone could replicate this issue as Ive already contacted AMD and no answer.

Here's what happens ingame. In the resolution of 1024x768 which is the highest S3 can go this is where the bug occurs. If you select any soldier unit the mouse cursor should change from an arrow to a sword icon indicating you have selected a military unit. This doesn't happen, if you scroll the map with your mouse the cursor changes to a sword icon and then gets stuck on the icon, basically doesn't revert back to an arrow. If you load up the game in 800x600 or 640x480 the issue doesn't occur? How very weird this bug is?

Issue didn't occur with the AMD 7950

Specs.

AMD 8350 @ 4.9ghz

Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Asus Sabertooth 990fx

AMD Fury X (Driver 15.7.1)

Ballisitx RAM 16ghz @ 1900mhz

Samsung 840 1TB SSD

WD 4TB Black Edition

No errors or warnings in the event viewer completely clean. All other games and software work perfect no problems.

Thankyou for your time and hope to speak soon.

John.

0 Kudos
44 Replies
john007
Exemplar
Exemplar

Re: AMD Fury X with The Settlers 3

Update,

I've figured out the problem, from searching threads from July the Fury X had issues with the mouse cursor. One forum user stated that enabling mouse pointer trails temporarily fixes the issue? So enabling the option in the mouse settings I then loaded up Settlers 3 and the issue was fixed, but the trails leave horrible sprite errors when ingame which was expected. Any ideas on what this issue could be tied too? This could infact effect other games and software.

Thankyou.

0 Kudos
ray_m
Community Manager
Community Manager

The AMD Issue Reporting Form is an avenue for you to submit feedback to AMD, it is not an method of one on one troubleshooting, so you should not expect a response to your submission - and this is mentioned on the form itself.

That being said, I do not think that devoting engineering resources to a investigate issues with a game released in 1998 is prudent.

hmscelestia
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Is Settlers 3 a DirectX or OpenGL title?

If not, it could be using a software renderer, which is likely the source of the weird interactions.

I suggest looking online for mods that port the game's drawcalls over to DX9 or OpenGL. I know there is a mod like that for the original Fallout titles.

Looking at screenshots of the game, it looks like it likely uses some archaic software render, so you may be SOL.

0 Kudos
john007
Exemplar
Exemplar

Hello,

This is an AMD forum to report issues am I not correct? And to post feedback on your latest GPU drivers. By doing so I'm not entitled to post a bug regarding a 660GBP graphics card? So happens that from 1998 I've always used AMD products and until now have never had such problems.

The mouse cursor does indeed bug out on other programs such as DAW software, this is a problem primarily with the Fury X drivers and needs to be addressed.

'Not for troubleshooting?' this is a public forum for posting issues, fixes and troubleshoots I tried to contact AMD directly and no reply. I'm not pleased in the level of service from AMD regarding their topline product.

backFireX64
Forerunner
Forerunner

You are correct and i agree with you.

The fact that you are also polite, a virtue that is often absent on the internet, makes me want to give you 1.

I also agree with ray_m though.

It is a rather old game, and as such, issues with this are quite difficult to be addressed on a driver level. Mainly because of compatibility conscerns.

You can try running the game in compatibilty mode.

What mouse and software are you currently using ? Have you tried another mouse ? Are you running the game as administrator ?

ray_m
Community Manager
Community Manager

You did not understand my response.

You were referring to your submissions to the AMD Issue Reporting Form, and I informed you that that was a method to collect information from users, not a method of troubleshooting an issue. I was NOT referring to this forum.

In fact, it says so clearly on the form.

pastedImage_0.png

I will also reiterate that the odds of devoting any engineering resources to a game released in 1998 are slim to none.

john007
Exemplar
Exemplar

Hello,

The Settlers 3 uses DirectPlay and Direct x 7. You might be thinking, why is this user posting about such an old game with such a new GPU? May I add that The Settlers 3 is an old gem, an uncapped population strategy capable of each player producing 10,000 plus soldier units in multiplayer, its a brilliant game.

Uninstalled drivers, Ccleaner and Autoruns to manually delete all AMD related reg entries. Then proceeded to replaced the GPU with a 7950. (All I have spare at the moment) All is good with the 7950, not seen the mouse cursor bug out at any stage either on games, desktop or any applications.

I remember when the 7950 was released on Sonar the mouse cursor would bug out constantly until the new drivers for AMD were released which fixed the problem.

So replaced the GPU with the FuryX, did all the correct procedures to install new drivers. Problems with the mouse cursor flickering on the desktop, DAW software such as Sonar has weird mouse cursor bugs, and the only game which has any issues at all is The Settlers 3 mouse cursor.

So I thought the only issue I can replicate is the Settlers 3, even posted about the troubleshoot for the 'mouse trails' option. A software engineer has stated that it could be a fault with the return call function for the mouse drivers in DirectX conflicting with the new FuryX drivers?

I just hope that the good people at AMD could test out this theory with a test unit running the FuryX with The Settlers 3, as my view is its not the game that's the problem, its the conflict with the DirectX mouse functions, and the answer to this problem may be actually troubleshooting this issue.

Thankyou for your time and hope to speak soon.

0 Kudos
john007
Exemplar
Exemplar

Hello Ray, and thankyou for the reply.

I apologize for the mistake I honestly thought you could post troubleshoots to AMD directly. I hope I could take 'slim chance' quote as a glimpses of hope that the good guys at AMD could at least test out this theory regarding an ongoing issue with the FuryX mouse cursor bugs, as the answer to the problem may be troubleshooting this old game. Im not an expert but a software engineer stated that it could be a conflict with mouse return calls with DirectX and the Fury X drivers?

Thankyou for your time and hope to speak soon Ray. No matter the weather I will always be AMD, I hope we can work out this issue together through the community and the AMD Devs.

Thankyou.

john007
Exemplar
Exemplar

Hello backfirex64, thanks for the reply.

Yes indeed tried all compatibility modes, admin mode, I used another mouse and keyboard. Installed other mouse drivers. Seems to be tied with the FuryX drivers as replacing the GPU with a 7950 has no such problems, it seems to be the mouse cursor only with games and applications.

Thanks for your time and hope to speak soon.