cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

yoshilink1
Journeyman III

AMD Drivers randomly stop working and disconnects monitors until computer restart

I have an AMD Radeon 6700xt GPU. The drivers randomly stop working and disconnect at seemingly always random intervals. This has been happening for a few months straight just randomly. The only thing that seems to be potentially causing it is every time it happens I think I have alt + tabbed but it doesn't happen every time I alt + tab so I have no clue what is causing it to happen. It's not an everyday thing it's purely random. The computer will just randomly freeze for probably like 30 seconds then my two monitors will disconnect and there's nothing I can do until I restart. Once I restart, the device, in device manager, is disabled saying "This device is disabled. (Code 22)" and then once I re-enable it in device manager the error code changes to "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)" . From there I have to restart the device another time and it will for some reason be working properly until it just randomly breaks again. Not sure how I can once and for all resolve this so I don't have to deal with this for basically the rest of my brand new PC's lifetime. 

4 Replies
Little_Crow
Journeyman III

I'm getting much the same issue - running a Sapphire Pulse 6700XT -  did you get anywhere with this?

Games are frequently giving driver crash errors, but occasionally I get a full display lock up and black screen which requires me to hit the power button to force a shutdown.
After powering back on I'm often getting either an extremely low res 640x480 looking desktop, or the card not being fully detected as you've described - both needing a reboot or 2 to get back to a 'functional' card.

I've:
Reinstalled Windows
Unplugged and reseated power to both motherboard and graphics card
Removed the XMP memory overclock profile
Removed 2 of my 4 sticks of RAM
Tried different output on the card
Reinstalled drivers

I've done extended runs of the Heaven and Furmark stress tests and been unable to induce a crash, but a maximum of an hour playing Halo Master Chief Collection and it will crash one way or another.

Really frustrating as my 1080ti died on me necessitating this purchase, and it appears I might have a dud

Hope you have had some joy since your post and can assist with a fix

Cheers!

####Added Specs####
5800X CPU
4 x Crucial Ballistix 8GB 3600 DDR4 memory
MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk Wifi, 7C84v19 BIOS Motherboard
Sapphire Pulse RX 6700XT
Phanteks Revolt Pro 850W PSU

0 Likes

Hi, I have had no joy at all since my last post. This is still a problem for me. It has not happened since 8/13/22 so I suppose the fact that it hasn't happened in more than a month is something to be joyful about. However, nothing I actually did solved it, and time will only tell whether or not the issue is even resolved since it could possibly happen at any time inconveniently enough this doesn't come with any type of error code other than the computer just restarting. The problem through AMD driver updates has either evolved or is just a completely new issue (no clue) in that anything using hardware acceleration causes my computer to stutter and reach 100% CPU usage and become pretty much unusable. This isn't an issue where on software that I can actually turn off hardware acceleration however it causes issues on software that uses hardware acceleration but does not give the user the option to control it. It makes that stuff unusable. So maybe the fact that I turned off hardware acceleration on everything fixed this but that still doesn't get past the point that this is causing me to access to entire programs which sucks. I have found that windows Desktop Window Manager (DWM) is specifically the program that is having the issue whenever hardware acceleration is used. However, I have found no way to fix this. It is possible that this is entirely a Windows problem when concerning AMD GPUs or vis versa. I hope maybe with this information either you or someone else can figure this out where I could not and let me know how to fix it. 

I agree with you that it is more than possible that it is a Windows problem 100%.  It could possibly be the game company software incorporating the problem with AMD products.  It is an age old problem where a company can play favorites and kneecap competitors products.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
0 Likes