Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ryokovv06
Adept I

AMD drivers, no signal

Good evening,
I wonder if you can assist. I have purchased a HP EliteDesk 705 G4 Mini PC for use as a HTPC. However, I cannot get a display on my 4k Samsung EU55TU7020 TV when using AMD video drivers.

Specs of the machine include a Ryzen 5 2400GE with Vega 11 iGPU, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD. I use a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, to a HDMI cable to the TV.

When Window's own driver is used, I can get a display, like-wise if I boot into safe mode, again I get a display. It is only when AMD video drivers are loaded, so I lose display on the TV, and the no signal message is shown.

I've tried using a monitor, and I get a display on that with AMD drivers sucessfully, so I'm convinced this is a software issue.

I've tried setting the Hardware Device Installation Settings to No, to stop windows automatically installing a broken driver.
I've tried reinstalling Windows 10 from the built in recovery media, I've also tried updating the Windows 10 installation via Windows Update.
I've tried using HP's own 2018 graphics driver from the HP Support Assistant software, I've also tried using AMDs latest 22.1.2 drivers, and some previous drivers like 20.4.1. When trying this, I've also used DDU to remove the old drivers completely.
I've updated the BIOS of the machine, and ensured the chipset drivers are installed as well.
I've tried hotswapping between the TV and monitor to confirm the resolution isn't something the TV cannot display.
The HP support page lists a similar issue (currupt display) that was resolved in a KB fix, that's included in Windows Update.

I've seen various youtube videos and threads on the AMD forums about black screens, but none of the solutions have worked for me. Any ideas would be appreicated.

Thanks
Phill

0 Likes
9 Replies
ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

The only way many of us have found to stop windows from installing their GPU Display Drivers is to use a Group Policy Editor.

The only one I found that works is on YouTube. It's a very simple walkthrough video. The (GPE) only block windows from downloading/updating AMD Display/Audio Drivers it will not affect necessary windows updates.

As for your display no signal unfortunately the problem most likely lies within the DVI/HDMI converter.

I've seen a lot of people having issues with those.

I can't recall what solutions were found but I know others in the community will reach out to you who have first hand experience in dealing with HDMI convertor issues.

For better assistance send full hardware specs of the build the Operating System and its version. Knowing these details greatly accelerates the path to a solution.

Thanks for the reply, but I've already been able to prevent windows from installing it's own driver.  It seems to be the AMD drivers (either via Windows Update, or via AMDs own driver package) which causes the problem. 

As the DP-HDMI adapter works with the generic driver, and with the AMD driver when using a monitor, I don't think its the adapter at fault. 

Have you tried pausing windows updates and doing a factory reset install of AMD drivers and software?

That will help you narrow down whether it's AMD or Microsoft drivers causing the issue.

0 Likes

Yes, I've tried this. I've had the machine disconnected from the network to rule out windows update. It 100% happens when AMD drivers are installed.

If your TV is a smart TV then you may need to connect to internet and update the TV's Firmware.

Sometimes when a smart TV is connected to a new video source a simple reboot of the TV will get you a signal.

Reboot option should be found under the same menu that has check for updates option. 

I was running a 32" VIZIO UHD 4K Smart TV as my monitor it worked great. I had an issue with a no signal did a reboot of the TV that got signal back for about an hour. Then went no signal again. Switched to my game console and went to manufacturer website checked issue support list and found try to update TV firmware.

That is the first Smart TV I've owned. They are basically computers themselves and need updates from time to time. Never though about that fact until I read it.

It worked.

Now I'm running a single ViewSonic UHD 4K Smart Monitor 50". Still requires firmware updates but I have never found an auto update function always had to do it manually.

0 Likes
ripcord
Adept III

try this - select Monitor menu > source> HDMI/DVI PC DVI
Hope this helps

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Radeon RX 7800 XT, MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE Wi-Fi, 64 GB DDR4.
morpheus9913
Journeyman III

Hi, anything work yet?
I am encountering the same or at least a similar problem. When running on the the Basic Display adapter from windows after a fresh driver clean up, I can use an HDMI display. But, once I install AMD drivers for my 5500 XT, my HDMI devices don't receive a signal. This same set up was working previously, but I had to RMA my GPU for a different reason. Ran a different GPU for some time (with HDI working), and now that I've reinstalled my 5500 XT, the HDMI monitor can't be detected either as a second or primary display.

0 Likes

Sorry man, I gave up and returned the device. Intel/Nvidia working fine for me. Cya later AMD.

0 Likes
amduser_Jb
Adept II

I think this is windows fault all along, I'm using amd and it works fine UNTIL THE UPDATE OF WINDOWS 10.

That's the reason why all of this are happening, dunno why or what windows have with amd cause nvidia is fine.

I'm having this issue for almost 6 months now and no solution, all of the solutions offered by the amd support is quite tiring cause all don't work. It all comes to chances and luck well I suck at that xD

For this to be fix either microsoft lower their pride and admit to fix or add compatability measures or amd go high with the pride and say let them be its microsoft's fault you know what I'm saying. Until one of both party gives in no fix will be done. -_-

0 Likes