cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

topgun3
Journeyman III

AMD drivers installation always leads to Restart, BSOD, Startup Repair until System Restore

I have no problems installing Windows 10 and motherboard drivers. Once I have installed any AMD drivers, however, my PC always reboots and startup-repairs regardless of versions of AMD drivers and Windows 10. I reinstalled OS may times and changed SSD (both new), graphic cards and memories but it did not help at all. 

Specifications:

Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600

GPU: HS-460R2SCNR or SAPPHIRE RADEON RX 460 2GD5 2GB

SSD: Intel SSD SSDSC2KW256G8X1 or KLeVV SSD URBANE U610 D240GAAU610

Memory: W4U2400CM-8G x 2 or W4U2400PS-8G x 2

Driver: Radeon Software Adrenalin any versions

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit 1803 or 1809 

I have another PC with the same motherboard and following specifications:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600

GPU: SAPPHIRE RADEON RX 460 2GD5 2GB

SSD: KLeVV SSD URBANE U610 D240GAAU610

Memory: W4U2400CM-8G x 2 or W4U2400PS-8G x 2

Driver: Radeon Software Adrenalin 18.12.11

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit 1803 

This one works very well without any single installation issues so I am wondering if there may be something wrong with the mother board. Actually a tiny part, or a screw hole for M.2 SSD, which is located close to PCIe Slot dropped out of the motherboard when I opened a package. Attached is a picture of the motherboard. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
5 Replies
cesarin
Elite

Hello, at the time of installing the drivers, when it is in a certain percentage gives BSOD and reboots? or if it allows to install ?, what version have you tried?

cesarin
Elite

Now it turns out that more models outside of HD7970 and R9 280X have been added to the same failure by AMD.

What a nightmare. Welcome to the team. https://community.amd.com/thread/236829

indub
Adept II

I had deleted a reply on here earlier because after reading the OP's inquiry I felt the BSOD error was probably something different but after reading that thread link cesarin posted it has me wondering.topgun3 have you tried 18.12.1.1?  18.12.1.1 driver download.  Looks like you've tried prior versions and it didn't work so that probably won't make a difference.  Your issue might be proprietary to you being that you have basically two of the same pcs and only one has the problem but maybe its something more specific that could be related to all these issues.  hmm.  

0 Likes
topgun3
Journeyman III

Hello cesarin, Thank you for your replies. 

Below are versions I tried :

adrenalin-edition-19.4.1-apr3

adrenalin-edition-18.12.1.1-dec5

adrenalin-edition-18.11.1-nov8

adrenalin-edition-18.9.3-oct5

Adrenalin-Edition-18.9.2-Sept19

Adrenalin-Edition-18.3.4-March23

Radeon-Software-Crimson-ReLive 2016, which is included in the initial DVD attached to GPU.

Without any exception, my PC restarted probably at around 90 to 100% of installation process with all the versions above. No single AMD driver works!

I always clean-installed Windows 10 without Internet access or anti-virus software so I do not think I need DDU. I will check your Question carefully.

0 Likes
topgun3
Journeyman III

Update:

Once I have connected my PC to the Internet, drivers for Radeon RX 460 has been installed automatically. which improves the resolution of my monitor and causes the same issue.

After resorting the system, I uninstalled RX 460 drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller and removed potentially conflicting drivers such as Microsoft Basic Display Adapter and High Definition Audio Device. Besides, I blocked these drivers from being installed again with Group Policy Editor. 

Then, I tried to install many versions of AMD drivers but I just received the same error message, "Radeon Software has not been installed because of  the general error". Its error log shows AMD display driver and HDMI audio driver failed.

I took a look at Device Manager but there were no folders for Display Adapter and Sound Video Game Controllers.

Based on suggestions on AMD home page, I checked system registry and files but the result was no detection of integrity violations.

I have no idea what to do next so I reported the issue to AMD. If you have any suggestion, however, please let me know. 

0 Likes