cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

vd123
Newcomer

AMD drivers are causing flickering and then freezes with a black screen.

Hi I need help regarding AMD drivers that seem to cause flickering that turns the display to black freezing my computer in the process. This is the first time I have experienced this issue, I was on the 18.2.1 patch when this issue occurred and tried to fix it by updating to the optional patch 18.4.1 but the issue still remained. What's really curious was when I completely removed all AMD drivers and was left with the default window driver all the flickering ended and everything seemed normal besides not having AMD drivers installed. I have tried a couple of things to maybe resolve this like reverting to older AMD drivers, replacing my old power supply with a new one, and cleaning out old AMD drivers and reinstalling the latest one. Can anyone help me with this?

My system specs are:

GPU: R9 390

CPU: i5-4690k

Memory Type: GDDR5

System Memory: 16 GB

Core Clock: Default (1015 MHz)

Radeon Software Version: 18.4.1

Radeon Software Edition: Adrenalin

0 Likes
2 Replies
cygnus_x1
Adept II

As I said in my own post here....I got exactly the same issue, and that was after the Windows 10 latest big patch ( 1803 ) installed. I'm on R5 330 ( it seems to be a dual processor with R7 as well or something ). You haven't said whether 1803 update installed on yours. I was also on 18.2.1...which the software said was the latest version.  But apparently 18.4.1 is the driver for the Windows 1803 update.

In my case I got messages saying the 18.4.1 was 'not signed'....even though I had downloaded it direct from AMD. And...I could not uninstall it from Programs and Features. The uninstall just hanged. Luckily I had kept the exe file for the 17.4.2 driver and installed that worked and updated to 18.2.1 again.

And the worst aspect is....the Windows update wants to install again.

0 Likes

Try using the AMD Clean Up Utility application from their site and then install the new driver patch, see if that works. For me my issue got worse today when I booted up my pc and all I saw were distorted images and colors. I tried restarting my pc a few times to see if there was any change and it still had a distorted image. So I just replaced my current video card with an older model and it seems to fix my issue entirely. Really bummed out my r9 390 fizzled out only had it for 2 years on it and my warranty ran out like 2 months ago. In the end problem solved I guess...

0 Likes