Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

TheColin21
Adept I

AMD Driver Installation fails on Dell Inspire 5737

Hi,

I just got a used Dell Inspire 5737 which comes with an AMD Radeon HD 8870/R9 M270X. I put an SSD in the system (although I also tried this on an HDD before) and did a fresh install of Windows 10 20H2. I installed all the drivers but failed when I tried to install any AMD driver version.

I've already tried the following:

- BIOSes A10, A11, A12

- Installing just the driver from Device Manager in normal and safe mode
- complete uninstall of all AMD/Intel drivers with DDU and AMD Cleanup Utility
- "Normal installation" via the Setup-File downloaded form AMD.com
- Driver versions 20.11.2, 21.2.3, 17.12.2 (from Guru3D), original AMD driver from Dell Support which install an old CCC based version

I tried pretty much everything described in these threads:
Solved: Laptop freezes while installing AMD driver - Page 2 - AMD Community
System freezes during installation of Radeon Softw... - Page 2 - AMD Community
Solved: Laptop freezes while installing AMD driver - AMD Community
Solved: Inspiron 17r 5737 Graphics Driver Issues - Dell Community
Solved: Re: System freezes during installation of Radeon drivers - Dell Community

The symptoms are allways as follows: 
- when trying to install the driver in normal mode the computer freezes in the exact moment when the driver would actually be updated and has to be restarted - driver is not installed
- when trying to install the driver in safe mode the installation via device manager works, installation via the update package installs the device driver but software does not get installed, after rebooting, the DELL logo with the spinning points appears but before the login screen the display turns off and the notebook has to be restarted and the driver uninstalled in safe mode.

If any one of you has any idea I would very much appreciate it.
Best regards
Colin

0 Likes
9 Replies

looks like your Dell is a 32 bit Windows OS installed which means you have only 4 GB  of RAM Memory installed.

The AMD Driver from Dell seems to be for a 32 Bit Laptop: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/inspiron-17r-5737/drivers

So try downloading the 32 Bit Windows 10 AMD Driver and see if that works from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/amd-radeon-hd-8000m-series/amd-radeon-hd-8870m...

Screenshot 2021-02-23 110047.png

0 Likes

Both os and drivers are 64 bit

0 Likes

Sorry you are correct, I just rechecked the Dell AMD Driver from 2015 and it mentions it is for a Windows x64 bit OS.

Since you purchased a used Dell laptop have you tried running the Dell Diagnostics from Dell Support to see if you have any defective hardware or missing/corrupt software?

You can check your laptop from here: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/inspiron-17r-5737/diagnose

Screenshot 2021-02-23 110047.png

0 Likes

I ran all the tests. Hardware shows as Ok

Does Dell's old AMD Driver work correctly in your laptop?

Also for AMD latest Laptop Drivers to work correctly, it is very important that your Intel APU Graphics has the latest Intel Driver installed including Intel CHIPSET and Windows is fully updated via Windows Update.

AMD GPU in the laptop works together with the Intel Integrated Graphics which is why you need to have the latest Intel Drivers installed in your laptop.

0 Likes

Thanks a lot but I also installed the latest chipset available on the Dell website (from 2015 I think...), the latest Intel graphics driver and Windows was fully upgraded.

TheColin21
Adept I

I now also tried the original Windows 8.1 OS, same problem. Any more ideas? I tried the notebook under Ubuntu 20.04 where everything worked just fine so I'm ruling out a hardware error.

0 Likes
T1G3R
Journeyman III

i have the same issue on my Dell Inpiron 17 3737 i7-4500u and with amd radeon hd8870m, previously i had some issue in lightroom with the image preview and i fixed that issue with updating the driver from the amd catalyst software and it changed the driver from 8870m to r9 270x and it worked perfectly until a month ago when windows update completely bricked my laptop so i had to format my laptop and since then i can't get any amd driver to install on my laptop. Has someone managed to fix this issue because i tried to install it directly from the dell support that didn't work, i tried with the amd radeon adrenalin software and that didn't work. What happens is that the installation starts and when it gets to install the display driver stops in the middle and freezes completely so i have to force restart the laptop. 

0 Likes
peris72
Journeyman III

I have the same problem for many years.

Dell Inpiron 5737 i7 4500U.

I have try all the common possible installations, with Ubuntu also.

The driver freeze at the middle of the installation.

Can some developers try to solve this problem? There many many people around the world that cant use the gpu and i am sure that this is a driver problem.

Please take a look for a solution, that many people are looking for many years.

0 Likes