Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

vjamorim
Adept I

AMD driver for Windows 11 installs as Windows 10

Hi!

I have an Asus S15 Ryzen 7 4700U and upgraded last month from Windows 10 to Windows 11 but I've kept AMD previous Windows 10 drivers at the time.

Last week Windows update gave me the opportunity to install Windows 11 22h2 so I did while still on Windows 10 AMD drivers.

Meanwhile, I noticed in Windows Device Security that Core Isolation was disabled because of driver incompatibilities.

So no big deal, I thought that a simple AMD driver update would fix it straight away!

Well, I tried Adrenalin Edition 22.5.1 and 22.9.2 (both say win10-win11 in setup filename; I selected factory reset and not keep user configuration) and guess what??

When I check driver version with GPU-Z it says Win 10! The driver setup simply won't install Windows 11 driver!

Just now Windows 11 update installed cumulative update 2022-09 and I tried to reinstall 22.9.2 but still only installs Windows 10 version...

I have another PC with Windows 11 (but not 22h2) that was upgraded from Windows 10 and I installed AMD Adrenalin for Windows 11 without issues. GPU-Z states Win 11 as expected.

Is Adrenalin software capable of correctly detecting Windows 11?

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!

Vitor Amorim

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi @goodplay !

It seems that I had the wrong suspect!

I thought the culprit was the AMD driver (because it was the last one I installed) but I had an old COM/USB driver that was incompatible with core isolation. It took some time to find it but because I don't use it, after removal, I finally activated the core isolation feature.

So thank you very much for your support!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies

At a guess, the installer is picking up Reg, entries from when you left Win.10 driver in.

Use DDU or AMD cleanup utility, and use driver download from Win.11 OS selection.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Hi @goodplay !

Thank you for your suggestions, I tried both, followed every instruction (like safe mode) and the issue remains...

I think that AMD Adrenalin driver is not picking up Windows 11 22h2 correctly as Windows 11 or there is some leftovers from DDU or AMD Cleanup Utility...

The install files I tried were "whql-amd-software-adrenalin-edition-22.5.1-win10-win11-may10.exe" and "amd-software-adrenalin-edition-22.9.2-win10-win11-sep27.exe", both with 539MB that I've downloaded from AMD support and driver page in the Windows 11 option.

I've checked the download link for Adrenalin 22.9.2 for Windows 11 and 10 and both have the same URL https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/amd-software-adrenalin-edition-22.9.2-win10-win11-sep27.exe

Any more ideas?

Thank you!

0 Likes

What does the radeon software 'Software & Driver details' report, and/or hwinfo64.

Reinstall a fresh copy of  gpu-z ?, could be a conflict somewhere.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Hi @goodplay !

I've updated/reinstalled GPU-Z and now it reports Win 11 driver, so very nice tip, thanks!

Still unable to activate Windows 11 core isolation, it says driver is incompatible, how to solve?

HWInfo shows this:

Driver Version: 31.0.12019.15004

AMD Driver Package Version: 22.20.19.15-220922a1-383925E-AMD-Software-Adrenalin-Edition

AMD Software Driver Version: 22.9.2

Driver Date: 22-Sep-2022

I have other PC with Windows 11 but not 22h2 and had no problem activating core isoltion (AMD driver version 30.0.14026.1, Driver Date: 11-Jan-2022).

Thank you very much!

0 Likes

Can't help with core isolation, never set it up.

You could also try asking on https://www.elevenforum.com/

0 Likes

Hi @goodplay !

It seems that I had the wrong suspect!

I thought the culprit was the AMD driver (because it was the last one I installed) but I had an old COM/USB driver that was incompatible with core isolation. It took some time to find it but because I don't use it, after removal, I finally activated the core isolation feature.

So thank you very much for your support!

0 Likes
Masada
Journeyman III

It's possible that the Adrenalin software is not detecting your version of Windows correctly.
Have you tried manually downloading the driver from the AMD website and installing it that way? Sometimes, the software that comes with the driver can be buggy or not work as intended.

0 Likes

@Masada wrote:

It's possible that the Adrenalin software is not detecting your version of Windows correctly.

Have you tried manually downloading the driver from the AMD website and installing it that way? Sometimes, the software that comes with the driver can be buggy or not work as intended.
As for getting a Windows 11 key, you can purchase one from the Microsoft Store or other authorized resellers. Alternatively, you can also look into buying a cheap Windows keys from third-party websites.

Added here some additional information which may help you!

0 Likes