Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

sentocnik
Journeyman III

AMD Driver Crashing After Update To Crimson 17.1. RX 480 Win 10

Hello,

So a few months before i had the same issue.. I updated my drivers and started playing games. After a while the game crashed and i heard my GPU drivers disconnecting (that windows sound) and the Driver icon on the taskbar was gone. I started my drivers again and checked the version of drivers and saw that they rollbacked from 17.11.x to 17.1.1.

I was struggling with this issues for a few days but then i just reinstalled windows 10 and it solved the issues.

Now I've had my fresh Windows 10, playing some Battlefield 1 and ofc. it kicked me out because I didn't update my drivers. So I downloaded them and made a clean install of the new drivers.

To get the story short, the same thing happened as before. My drivers rollbacked to 17.1.1. and whatever I do it will always crash and rollback to 17.1.1.

Note: I allready used DDU, safe mode starts.. etc.

DxDiag in att.

PSU: 650W Corsair.

CPU: i5 6600

GPU: RX480 8GB

RAM: 16GB 2133mhz crucials.

nothing overclocked, all stock AF.

Message was edited by: Matt B

We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

0 Likes
17 Replies

According to your DxDiag file you are using a MSI Z170M motherboard with a RX-480 AMD GPU Card. If this is correct you have a new BIOS (AMI) from December 2017 :Support For Z170M MORTAR | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI USA

Also the following are fairly new that might affect your GPU drivers:

Others Drivers

Title

Intel Management Engine Driver+Microsoft hotfix

Version

Release Date

2017-12-06

File Size

75.23 MB

Description

Microsoft Win7 Hotfix installation is required for Intel Management Engine Driver to be installed successfully.

Title

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver

Version

Release Date

2017-01-17

File Size

13.31 MB

Note

Please refer to the manual to download the correct Intel Rapid Storage Technology RAID driver for your system.
For Intel RST ROM 15.2 version

Title

Intel Serial IO Drivers

Version

Release Date

2017-01-04

File Size

2.61 MB

Title

Intel Software Guard Extensions

Version

Release Date

2017-01-03

File Size

3.6 MB

On-Board VGA Drivers

Title

Intel VGA Driver

Version

Release Date

2017-02-14

File Size

237.55 MB

On-Board SATA AHCI/RAID Drivers

System & Chipset Drivers

Title

Intel Chipset Driver

Version

Release Date

2017-01-03

File Size

2.6 MB

Thanks for your reply,

So should I update all of those things and flash BIOS (I'm not fond of flashing bios) ?

0 Likes
sentocnik
Journeyman III

Updating BIOS and motherboard drivers didn't help.

0 Likes

Maybe one of the AMD Moderators can explain why Windows is automatically downgrading your GPU driver.

Run in Elevated Command Prompt - SFC /scannow. That at least will check your Windows core files to be sure they are not corrupted or missing.

It should come back good without errors. but if it comes back with it saying it made repairs. Run it again to be sure it comes back clean again.

If there are errors it could not repair > Fix SFC /scannow errors that were not repaired

merutsu
Adept II

Do it first:

try to google how to disable all these manipulations with the drivers by windows OS. When I tweaked my WS2016 i saw some options but don't remember where =)

if you disable any drivers auto updates by windows update service and use DDU after, windows will be unable to rollback your videodriver.

when the drivers updates are restricted/disabled:

1. install only videodriver via windows device manager (manually set up path to the extracted driver files folder on your disk)

2. if videodriver keep crashing, use any OC software (like MSI AB) and set gpu voltage +25mV, power limit +50%.

//also you can check windows event viewer logs for any info about those crashes.

0 Likes

When I do that it solves the issue of windows rolling back to 17.1.1, it keeps it new BUT after the crash it uninstalls the AMD radeo settings app and i cannot open it again?

Any thoughts?

0 Likes
sentocnik
Journeyman III

I have done everything that was said to do, and my driver is still crashing..

I have installed the driver over Device Manager and installed the Driver UI app. When it crashes it doesn't rollback anymore it just 'removes' the UI app where ypu can tweak the settings etc.

How can I get AMD moderators to take a look?

0 Likes

You can report the issue to AMD.

AMD Issue Reporting Form

sentocnik
Journeyman III

The problem is with the amd software and my GPU constantly crashing and forcing windows to step in and use any driver available for device to keep working properly.

Now, making sure what merutsu​ typed after making windows install specific drivers that were manually downloaded.. It installs the correct drivers that are stable but at cost of not having the 'AMD radeon settings'.

Having said that, everything worked out after reinstalling OS the last time I encountered this error. I can't just reinstall Windows every time there is an Amd update available... Also no one having the same specific issue is kinda disappointing too.

In future I will pay extra buck for a Nvidia system..

0 Likes

Sometimes when a Hard drive is going bad, it doesn't write data correctly thus corrupting your windows or programs that are installed or being installed.

Run a Hard Drive diagnostics and see if it finds anything wrong with your C: drive. You can download one from the Hard Drive's manufacturer's website. It is free to download and use normally.

The reason why I mentioned to the check the Hard drive is that you have to reinstall Windows to get everything to work again.

0 Likes

I will test my SSD with Error check and Crystal Disk after i get home from work.

Really hope someone from AMD actually comments on this topic here in forum..

0 Likes

AMD will not become aware of your issue unless you report it to them.

AMD Issue Reporting Form

or

I did complete the AMD Issue Reporting Form yesterday.

Hopefully I will get an answer soon.

0 Likes

There are no replies to the Issue Report...it is to report problems only.

0 Likes
sentocnik
Journeyman III

elstaci

I had run the SSD tests and my SSD is running perfectly..

The problem should be with Windows-AMD working domain, where the installation just fcks itself for some reason.

I don't think I need to RMA my GPU, I will run stress tests just to see the stability of it tho.

0 Likes

It does sound like a Windows Update - AMD Driver issue. Best to follow Kingfish advice in the previous post to let AMD Support know of the problem.

I didn't realize you were using a SSD which wasn't mentioned in your previous post. But it is no harm in running diagnostic test on your hardware. You never know when a component is going bad until you start having many issues with your computer.

0 Likes