cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

thijmen
Journeyman III

AMD driver above 17.10 cause stuttering

So somewhere 2 years ago AMD had a driver update that I installed which caused stuttering. I thought that it was a bug and that it would get fixed. Now, two year later, it still isn't solved. I tried deleting drivers with DDU and installing again. I tried fiddling around with a lot of settings but nothing did anything. It is a stutter every second and it's very annoying. Games start saying that I'm running unsupported drivers and I'm feeling that I can get better performance if the newer drivers worked. Instead, I have to run 17.10 drivers. Here is a video to show what happens: AMD stuttering - YouTube 

Specs:

MSI Z170-A motherboard

Intel i5-6600K

Powercolor Radeon RX 480 8GB

650W PSU

16GB RAM

0 Likes
5 Replies
taurea
Elite

I had this too on my RX580 at a point where AMD also released a driver with bugged dual-monitor support.

If my 2'nd monitor (TV over HDMI) was plucked into the Graphics card, but not turned on, I'd have stuttering much like what you are showing on the vid. If I turned on the TV, stutterings were gone.

?So, are you using any type of dual monitor setup, no matter how or what is connected?

Yes, I have a small second monitor via DVI and a TV connected with HDMI (using a DisplayPort adapter). Unplugged everything except my main monitor, problem was still there. Unplugged my main monitor and plugged the TV in, still didn't solve the problem. I am going to put this GPU in a friends PC and see what it does soon. Then I'll know if it's my computer or the card.

0 Likes
thijmen
Journeyman III

One thing that works is installing the old drivers and then updating the drivers in device manager. But as soon as I restart my PC, the problem reoccurs.

0 Likes

In an attempt to identify the issue, could you please try disconnectiong your 2'nd and 3'rd monitor fron the graphics card, de-install drivers, reboot, re-install drivers, reboot and check again.

I'm just really curious to see of it has anything to do with multi-monitor again or if it's something else.

Either way, it'd be good to know what not to look for.

Edit: Oh, and reboot again if needed, to see if it comes back after another reboot like you said.

0 Likes

So it definitely improved a lot, but it's still slightly there.

0 Likes