cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Finhawk
Adept I

AMD chipset drivers fail to install except for Processor Power Management Support

Fresh Windows 10 (22H2) Install trying to install newest chipset drivers for my 5800x3D running on a MSI X570 Tomahawk WIFI. I have the newest stable BIOS. I've tried various drivers: MSI Support page, AMD chipset as well as installing through the Adrenalin. Basically I can only install the AMD Processor Power Management Support driver. See summary log below:

AMD Chipset Software Install Summary

Name : AMD Processor Power Management Support
Version : 7.0.4.10
Install : Success

Name : AMD PCI Device Driver
Version : 1.0.0.89
Install : Fail

Name : AMD GPIO Driver
Version : 2.2.0.130

Name : AMD PSP Driver
Version : 5.19.0.0

Name : AMD SMBus Driver
Version : 5.12.0.38

0 Likes
1 Solution
Finhawk
Adept I

Upon doing some semi random reinstalls of Windows I can confirm that the installation summary is broken and should be ignored. After doing a completely fresh install of Win10 I installed the Chipset drivers before doing anything else. It gave me the same error as the one described in my first post. After restarting my PC and trying to install chipset drivers again, I noticed that when hovering over the drivers at the selection screen, the software actually tells you whether that drivers version is already installed in a nifty pop-up. Maybe this pop-up could be made to always show etc. I also checked using the Microsoft troubleshooting tool that the separate drivers are found when troubleshooting install/uninstall problems.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
MADZyren
Paragon

So is it a new computer or did it work before?

Do you have 3rd party antivirus software or ccleaner or similar software running? Remove those.

If it is a clean install, simply install Windows again (remove all partitions and let Windows recreate them). Then manually update it like 2-3 times and reboot whenever it asks for it.

Then download chipset driver for motherboard from AMD https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

There was no 5800X3D download option in AMD's site, so maybe you don't need it

and then graphics driver from Nvidia or AMD depending what you have

Do not change windows settings, registry or anything. Do not install 3rd party "free" antivirus software or anything else that affects how Windows works.

After installing those drivers, check device manager to see if there are yellow triangles left. You migh need to install some individual driver from MSI's site, but do not install chipset drivers or such from there.

0 Likes
Finhawk
Adept I

It's a computer I've used for two years and recently upgraded my CPU. It's a fresh install and I dont install bloatware. Literally finished the Windows setup process offline and tried install chipset drivers offline from a file saved to the USB. If I need to install amd drivers through windows why do then need to overwrite those with new drivers from amd? I have saved a log file, but I can't upload it here for some reason.

EDIT: I'm reinstalling windows rn. hope this helps

0 Likes
Finhawk
Adept I

Reinstalled Windows. After installing updates through Windows Updates, I tried the newest chipset drivers again. Some failed and some succeeded. After a restart I tried the same drivers again. All succeeded except for the AMD Processor Power Management Support. I give up. If installing fresh drivers on a fresh install of Win10 is too much for amd drivers to handle then 4 ouf of 5 will have to do. I suspect the issue might also be that the driver installer software doesn't discern if an update failed because the newest driver was already present. Or maybe something to do with restarting after updating. Windows would notify me that AMD GPIO controller was installed but needed a restart, whereas the summary file would say that the GPIO driver failed to install. Can't be both can it? If the summary is just useless, that's cool I guess. But it used to work just fine.

0 Likes

I had similar problem yesterday. None of the 5 driver's available installed after several attempts. By chance I checked on the corner of one of (where the tick is), which showed the status of the driver. Then I installed them individually. The status now shows installed although I see no real benefits/ performance increases, if anything a slight decrease.

0 Likes

In the past when other Users were having issues installing AMD Chip set I recommended they use Microsoft Install/Uninstall Tool (Microsoft Install/Uninstall Toolto uninstall all Non-GPU AMD Drivers first.

The tool will clean up Windows Registry and allow the new AMD Chip set to install successfully. Also delete C:\AMD Chip set or C:\AMD if generated in the past.

0 Likes

The thing is, updated drivers are meant for updated operating systems. Also you have to let updates to be installed fully, before installing drivers, so you need to:

- install windows
- let it update fully (which includes letting it download updates, install them which requires restarting computer, run update again, let it update more, restart, run update again to be sure there are no more available updates and restart)
- install up-to-date drivers

If you let windows just download and partially install updates and then try to install drivers to a machine that is in transition between updates, something is going to go wrong. One step at a time.

0 Likes

I did exactly this. Let Windows Update do it's thing until it was happy, then restart, then Chipset drivers. It still said that 2 or 3 drivers failed.

0 Likes
Finhawk
Adept I

Upon doing some semi random reinstalls of Windows I can confirm that the installation summary is broken and should be ignored. After doing a completely fresh install of Win10 I installed the Chipset drivers before doing anything else. It gave me the same error as the one described in my first post. After restarting my PC and trying to install chipset drivers again, I noticed that when hovering over the drivers at the selection screen, the software actually tells you whether that drivers version is already installed in a nifty pop-up. Maybe this pop-up could be made to always show etc. I also checked using the Microsoft troubleshooting tool that the separate drivers are found when troubleshooting install/uninstall problems.

0 Likes