cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

niriho
Newcomer

AMD Chipset drivers causing high core speed.

Hi,

Just wanted to share with everyone.

I have a new AMD 3700x with Asus TUF-GAMING-X570-PLUS-WI-FI.

I finished installing everything as saw that my core speed is staying at around 4 GHz, even though my cpu is on 0%, which caused high temps and a lot of heat. I couldn't find the cause so I reinstalled windows and started installing my stuff one by one.

After installing the AMD chipset drivers 1.7.29.0115 I saw that it was causing the high core speed - believe me it took a while and was very unpleasant 

On a fresh windows, after uninstalling everything went back to normal, but on my full installation window it stayed high(maybe my av is not allowing stuff to be removed...), after a lot more t/s I got to the window power plan and saw that AMD are adding two new power plans and forcing me to use one of them, the problem is that the min and max processor state under the processor power management is on 100!  when I changed the min to 0 nothing happened...I also couldn't change the power plan to the default ones - they were grayed out! so I had to change it form cmd with "powercfg -setactive" once I changed it to regular "high performance" power plan everything went back to normal and now on 0% cpu my core speed goes down to 2.5 GHz.

Hopefully this will be helpful for someone and AMD will fix this issue.

Thanks,

Nir.

0 Likes
0 Replies