cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

niksan29
Adept II

AMD Chipset Drivers and AMD Freesync problem...

I'm having a problem after installing new AMD Chipset Drivers v 18.10.00.13, AMD Freesync stops working... If the old installing AMD Chipset Drivers v 17.50.33.05, AMD Freesync works good... I ask to solve with the given problem... My notebook asus gl702zc (RYZEN 1600 +RX580).

If the old installing AMD Chipset Drivers v 17.50.33.05, AMD Freesync works good:

2.jpg.jpg

after installing AMD Chipset Drivers v 18.10.00.13, AMD Freesync stops working:

33333.jpg

0 Likes
20 Replies
misko
Adept I

Hi there,

Did u try "Clean install", or just update the old one?

0 Likes

I tried both options...

I found a similar topic, you need to study this:

Laptop - Asus ROG Stryx GL702ZC non-functional FreeSync after driver update

0 Likes

Ok, things are pretty clear now - stick with old one... that's my humble opinion.

Old one work - so, stick with them, forgot new one until right update (read: good) pop-up.

In my paractice - drivers will work or not. OS by himself will not help at all.

So AMD must (in the very near future) build a new one - which will be good.  ;-).

Stay bold man  ;-)

0 Likes

already passed a lot of time, amd should finally hear the users and add support for Freesync to the new drivers... I want to hear the official answer when this happens?

Well, i can't help u at this point, becouse I'm just another enthusiast (perhaps just like u), not an AMD official stuff.

0 Likes

I have 18.3.4 (latest today) installed and it works for me. Same notebook. Nothing went wrong with the install.

you're talking about a video card driver and not a chipset driver...

I installed both. When downloading 18.3.4, under the "Optional Downloads" section there are the chipset drivers. I first installed the chipset, then the video drivers.

Come to think of it, the install is not as smooth as it should be. The screen usually falls apart and later goes totally blank. Waiting some time though (roughly as much as a driver install should take), one can restart the machine using the usual hotkeys, even though nothing shows on screen.

1. Win+D (brings desktop into focus)
  2. Alt+F4 (opens shutdown dialog)
  3. Enter (the first entry is Shutdown).
  4. The machine shuts down normally and after turning it back on, it's fully functioning.

2018-04-12.png

0 Likes

I understand you but you do not understand me;)

Used clean installation: 1)AMD Chipset Drivers v 18.10.00.13(lastest)

2)video driver 18.3.4

after that the Freesync technology will not be available...

you just do not have a clean chipset driver installation...

such a problem many users and not only me, just in the new driver there is no support for our laptop model

0 Likes

Oh, I see now. Indeed, I didn't have a clean install, but installed over the stock chipset driver issued by ASUS.

I guess we are stuck between two vendors. AMD will not make it happen, because they could point their fingers at ASUS for tailoring the driver to their HW, while ASUS will not go much further than doing BIOS updates. I am starting to make friends with the idea of not receiving a WattMan capable chipset driver from AMD for this notebook. As time goes by, it makes less sense to put the effort in and it has less and less PR value for cooking up support for feature on a device of 6 months. It's not going to blow the lid off of the internet, but supporting your own high-end devices does seem like something that might pay off in the long run; that is if you plan on selling anything other than information kiosk embedded stuff (and even there, support is a MUST).

0 Likes

I contacted ASUS and they said that they sent an official request to amd about this!

just let AMD add support for this laptop in the new chipset drivers!

thysia
Journeyman III

Try installing the latest chipset provided in the ASUS Website.https://www.asus.com/ph/Laptops/ROG-Strix-GL702ZC/HelpDesk_Download/

Its Radeon Software 17.7. It worked for me. This was suggested by an agent in the ASUS support chat.

0 Likes
niksan29
Adept II

using the old driver version is not an option ...

0 Likes
me262schwalbe1
Adept III

My GL702ZC-WB74 is going through same thing.I already made a ticket to AMD and made other posts and responded to other posts about freesync/performance issues...

MY question here,

Is what is the Last,I mean Last most Recent Driver before 2020 kicked in ?

where freesync worked?

was it 18.3.4? or 18.5.1? Im trying to find the very last driver close to the 2020 edition.....like literally the last one before 2020 came into effect...I remember that one was working....but cannot remember the driver version...

0 Likes
me262schwalbe1
Adept III

radeon 19.11.3.PNG

A short term fix,but for how long....

Radeon 19.11.3

was november 18th 2019 right before 19.12.1

0 Likes
me262schwalbe1
Adept III

I used DDU and restarted.Then I used the stock driver and restarted.then I used the 2nd stock driver and restarted.

then I used the new radeon 20.7.2 driver and restarted...

I did this offline.

I made sure I had my drivers before I did it offline.

I cannot figure out which Radeon Driver will support my laptops Features of Freesync????????

0 Likes
me262schwalbe1
Adept III

19.12.1 works with freesync for now.

radeon 19.12.1 works freesync.PNG

Make sure all windows 10 updates are installed first,then use DDU to wipe everything.

then choose to pause windows 10 updates to longest time possible.

there is a problem with Microsoft AMD drivers that want to auto-update everytime and affect the features of freesync for this model.

I installed the two stock drivers in order and restarted ,then the june 6 2020 chipset driver for my specfic system.

then 19.12.1 since,I looked up dates of when the last 2019 driver was used before 2020 edition came.

19.12.2 and 3 I havent tested yet...but I will eventually.

The 19.12.2 and 3 are the 2020 edition.

right now I am waiting on amd to give a answer and response for support.

Im tired of the last 5 days of wasting my time trying to get the right drivers to work proplerly....

0 Likes
me262schwalbe1
Adept III

it doesnt seem to be working,when I play ryse son of rome the fps is all over the place and the performance is not good the gameplay doesnt look smooth.

sorry guys,I give up.

0 Likes
me262schwalbe1
Adept III

I have made sure microsoft updates were done first.

I paused the windows 10 updates.

Microsoft supplied AMD old Display and Media drivers were affecting Freesync function features.
Then I,
1:Used DDU and restarted
2:Installed asus stock radeon 17.6 first and then 17.7 
Restarted each time.
3:Installed radeon 18.2.1 and then 19.6.3
And tested freesync,it was on and working.
I'm going to test 19.12.1 today ,it also showed the freesync being on,but did'nt test it.
4: start of 19.12.2 and onwards 2020 edition does not allow amd freesync display button 
To turn on,it is greyed out.They broke the Freesync feature with my model....
Same for 20.4.1 and 20.7.1 and 20.7.2
P.S. make sure you install the supported chipset driver dated june 6th 2020 under AM4 on amd download drivers.
0 Likes
me262schwalbe1
Adept III

Confirmed,radeon 19.12.1 works.

0 Likes