cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

devils
Adept I

AMD Catalyst 15.7.1 cause black screen before login screen Windows 10

Hello i have problems with Windows 10, but it´s only when i install drivers from AMD for my graphic cards (R9 280X Vapor-X). With Microsoft´s basic graphic drivers i don´t have this isssue. I tried that many times ( reinstalling Windows, reinstalling Catalyst ), but everytime when i don´t use AMD Catalyst the system boot´s perfectly without any problems ( it takes about 10-15s ), with AMD Catalyst (1m 15s) ?????

1) Press power button to strat your computer

2) BIOS picture etc...

3) Loading logo and circle Windows 10 Home x64

4) Then black screen - i see only mouse cursor ( waiting about 1min )

5) Then login screen pop´s up

Do you guys have same issue ?

244 Replies
cryptography
Adept I

Re: AMD Catalyst 15.7.1 cause black screen before login screen Windows 10

1.Download the latest Catalyst directly from AMD.

2.When you execute the latest AMD Catalyst EXE, it will extract all the install files for the driver to your specified location.
http://puu.sh/jj3UC/9a79662121.png

3.After it does that cancel the catalyst installer when it pops up, then open device manager.

http://puu.sh/jj40i/ee9a445323.png

4. Since you don't have any display drivers installed, your display adapters should be "Microsoft Basic Display", right click and hit Update>Browse> Select the folder catalyst extracted (Default is : C:\AMD\AMD-Catalyst-15.7.1-Win10-64bit )
http://puu.sh/jj3MV/c08e6b2493.png

5. Should click okay and it should install fine without catalyst.

0 Kudos
hein
Adept I

...installing AMD drivers w/o catalyst directly through hardware manager also does not work. As soon as the AMD driver is installed the screen turns black, fans power off and that's it. Sucks!!

devils
Adept I

same here,

and also AMD Zero Core technology doesn´t work !

0 Kudos
wmudrockjr
Adept I

Mine went flash black screen, then you see the screen. It finally stop the flashing screen after it was done churning.

0 Kudos
wmudrockjr
Adept I

Another issue for me is when I enable/disable VSR my screen does the black screen peek-a-boo but does eventually stabilizes to displaying without the flash. My 20" does 1600x900 which I never changed. When enabled I have more resolutions than the 1920x1080 that is listed in the documentation for the 15.7.1 package.

0 Kudos
jasond767
Adept I

Same here, I have to wait around 3 - 4 minutes to get into the login screen!

My system:

Windows 10 64bits - AMD A6-3420M APU With Radeon HD 6520G Graphics

0 Kudos
rev
Adept I

I am also getting the black screen for around a minute before Windows 10 finally shows the logon screen. I am running the latest Catalyst 15.7.1 drivers with a 295x2 and a 290x in Crossfire.

Directly installing the display drivers and bypassing the Catalyst install is not an acceptable option for me as I am a triple-screen Eyefinity user.

In my view, this is clearly an AMD driver issue. The black screen problem is not present after using DDU to completely wipe my system of AMD drivers and software. Without the AMD drivers and software, Windows 10 boots very quickly as it should.

0 Kudos
paoel
Adept I

I'm experiencing the same problem with AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series icm Windows 10 Pro

0 Kudos
misterteatime
Adept I

I have the exact same problem - but only with DVI. It works fine with HDMI.

(R290, Windows 10)