cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

kingfish
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: AMD Catalyst 15.7.1 cause black screen before login screen Windows 10

That was added as a comment to the post...as you can see. I can't prevent that.  I always recommend the manual way.

0 Kudos
mahoogan
Adept I
Adept I

Your post was helpful, I was just trying to provide further detail in case people decided to try the non-registry method after reading the comments. Cheers

mcpartyson
Adept I
Adept I

Attached dxdiag. Experiencing slow boot black screen cursor of doom like everyone else here prior to login. Uninstalled Catalyst, uninstalled drivers, let win 10 do it's thing on reboot, no change.

0 Kudos
celess
Adept I
Adept I

Turning off ULPS through the registry worked for me on a HP DV7 laptop for gettign back normal boot times, but not without cost and is not suitable for a laptop use. And I agree, people shouldn't be recommending this as a fix. Best case you will probably slow your laptop down, once its booted, through turbo-throttling.

I have a HP DV7 CTO 6c00. Any DV6 or DV7, with model numbers 6cXXxx or 6bXXxx with AMD graphics, are all Sandy Bridge laptops with Intel HD 3000, and AMD HD graphics 6490M through but no higher than 7690M, and all share the same refernce design. In my case I have an AMD HD 7690M XT, reported as a HD 6700, with an INTEL i7 2670QM quad processor, 2.2 GHz. Note: the HP DV6/DV7 60XXxx and 61XXxx generation before are a slightly differnt refernce design for an older gerneration of AMD and I have no idea how or if this would apply to them. I am currently using AMD 15.7.1 (the 1003 version, not the 1002 version) an the latest Intel through Windows Update, which are effectively Intel 9.17.10.4229 of 5/27/2015.

Be warned: swapping EnableUlps permanently enables the second GPU and not necessarily be doing any work, and normally would turn itself off completely when not in use. This is not a proper fix and will eat battery and generate a lot more heat. Anyone with this era laptop and what would now start to become marginal fans and cooling and dried paste, you run increased risk of possibly killing your board sooner. For those that used HP drivers 'til the bitter end, and used fixed graphics with AMD always turned on, this is similar but without the AMD GPU doing any of the work, and much higher chance of inducing CPU throttle and missing 2.8/3.2 turbo opportunities. Keep in mind, the idle wattage of the HD 3000 is much less than idle wattage of the AMD GPU.

What I did:

That being said, I have a EnableUlps turned off ATM.  I opened regedit and used find for EnableUlps, changed from 1 to 0 and used F3 key to find the next, there were two total.  Then I rebooted and got a normal pre-Windows 10 fast boot, and the AMD GPU was now on and idle at boot.

Currently after about 20 minutes there's idle of 61C/53C Intel GPU/AMD GPU, on a recently rebuilt system with clean fresh everything. The High Performance power profile is currently enabled, so the processor is doing constant 2.2 GHz. Normally Intel CPU and GPU in this configuration would sit at 50-53C with a cool-to-the-touch case, tested by touching case just above the center of the keyboard (DV7s have a metal top cover). Core clock of my AMD 7690M XT with constant 0% load reports 100 MHz / 150 Mem. The 60-65C means fan is at point where raising and lowering to push below 60 constantly, and the top of the case above the keyboard will be pretty warm for idle.  I'm effectively just preheating my system and running the fan harder for no reason which hurts recovery under load. For those with HPs can also pinch your case on the upper-left around the exhaust with your thumb and fingers, under load of a game, and see how its really dealing with the temps. The monitor temps cant tell you how much of the case dissipation headroom is gone. Keep in mind that unlike a desktop the heat-pipes all go to the same fan, and in this case two sets of fins, one on intake and two pipes on exhaust and once the total amount thermal energy in the whole case exceeds what that fan speed can do, there's nothing left but thermal runaway or throttling. Swings of 10-15C all above 80C on a serious game vs 75-80C steady is the difference. And the former is what could be the cause the bulk of the BGA damage.

Putting it back:

For myself I'm going to re-enable and turn on EnableUlps, and just deal with extra minute boot times.  Id rather have the headroom when playing games and better turbo.

Just wanted to put a little more data out there because soo many people are probably not sure, especially those who wondering how such a new computer could be having such issues.  Hopefully they fix the actual issue.

Edit:

The 1004 driver (of the 15.7.1 series) does not fix the issue for me. Was installed by windows update automatically over my 1003 driver.  I still have the same problems with blank screen for 1.5 mins. on boot or anytime the driver is enabled or disabled / started or stopped really.

1upmanship_
Adept I
Adept I

Hi celess

Good comments. On my dv7-6b75nr I went back to W7 about 6 days ago. All the data you represent is correct for my installation. I have not heard the fans running once since I reinstalled W7. I say "reinstalled W7"...I tried to use the "go back" app...and was greeted to "We're sorry, but you can't go back....The files we need to take you back to a previous version of Windows were removed from this PC" pop-up...WHY/HOW??. This was the icing on the cake...SO MANY problems, could not even get the "F" keys or "Esc" to work, Link to Control panel from the start button "broken"...when I could get to Control Panel...if I typed "Power" in the search bar...Windows Explorer would crash! Many more problems, but this is not the place.

Luckily I had created a couple of "images" a few days before embarking on this farce/vast time waster exercise.

For a laptop that is less than 4 years old...this upgrade process is ridiculous, we should not have been used as guinea pigs/beta testers...or mushrooms!

I will monitor this site to see if a solution is presented by AMD/HP...right now I am finished with the "free stuff"

0 Kudos
moonstar
Adept II
Adept II

A work around I have found for this, and the AMD Audio bug (which disables AMD audio after the GPU goes to sleep) is to go back to 15.7  for win 8.1/7

0 Kudos
xpshooter
Adept I
Adept I

My DXdiag:

HP DV7- 6b55eg

0 Kudos
j1m
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

This is my own issue, and the bypass ...

Configuration : HP probook 4730, Video combo AMD Radeon 7400M / Intel HD graphics, SSD

Boot time was less than 30 seconds on win7 x64, but close to 3 minutes after migrating to Win10

How I fixed it :

• Go to HP support & download and loaded the latest available version, which was 2 years old and for Win 8.1 x64 (version 13.xx in place of version 15.xx).
  • From Control Panel/Device list, suppress the AMD Radeon 7400M device
  • From Control panel/Programs , uninstall the AMD Catalyst software & drivers
  • Now install the downloaded HP version (for win8.1 …)
  • Reboot …
  • Boot was ok, no delay. After reboot, a Microsoft generic driver is installed, then it is replaced by the previously installed HP one.
  • Reboot again,
  • Problem seems to be fixed.
0 Kudos
robwiljas
Adept I
Adept I

I'm also having this problem with Windows 10 on my Asus K53TA laptop with A8-3500m APU and HD 6650mm. It happens with the driver from Windows update and the latest 15.7.1 driver from the AMD website. I really don't want to disable ulps sho I hope AMD can fix this.

0 Kudos
puniek
Adept II
Adept II

I do not see that AMD's desire to solve this problem. Maybe they want to buy a new GPU?

0 Kudos